DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Seinfeld - The Complete Series...questions... (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/516242-seinfeld-complete-series-questions.html)

erichbergen 11-04-07 03:49 AM

Seinfeld - The Complete Series...questions...

This Tuesday finds the release of Seinfeld - The Complete Series in stores. I have 2 questions, and hoping someone has an answer before Tuesday.

1)Are all the extras that came on separate seasons released over the last few years going to come included on this, or is the thing that happened with Twin Peaks gonna happen again, where extras get dropped and new ones put on?

2)The special-edition Best Buy Fridge packaging...is it any different from the normal version besides the packaging?

Adboy151 11-04-07 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by erichbergen
This Tuesday finds the release of Seinfeld - The Complete Series in stores. I have 2 questions, and hoping someone has an answer before Tuesday.

1)Are all the extras that came on separate seasons released over the last few years going to come included on this, or is the thing that happened with Twin Peaks gonna happen again, where extras get dropped and new ones put on?

2)The special-edition Best Buy Fridge packaging...is it any different from the normal version besides the packaging?

The discs are identical to the individual season sets. The Complete Series adds a bonus DVD and the book.

As far as the special packaging goes, it's the same Complete Series packaging (outer slipcase, book, two fold-out disc holders) placed in refrigerator "coffin"-like shell.

CKMorpheus 11-04-07 12:05 PM

This is coming out Tuesday? Does that mean the final DVDs are also coming out Tuesday? My finger is way off the pulse of the DVD community lately! Hot damn!

MikeShaynePI 11-04-07 12:20 PM

I figure if I can get at least 100 bucks for seasons 1-8 I'll get this. Anyone have any tips on that? Should I just go with eBay?

BuckNaked2k 11-04-07 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by CKMorpheus
This is coming out Tuesday? Does that mean the final DVDs are also coming out Tuesday?

Yes, day & date with Season 9.

BuckNaked2k 11-04-07 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by MikeShaynePI
I figure if I can get at least 100 bucks for seasons 1-8 I'll get this. Anyone have any tips on that? Should I just go with eBay?

There's a deal with B&N if you are a member, and if you pay with a MasterCard, you can get 60% off.

Check out the bargains forum.

beetyke 11-04-07 01:52 PM

It was on shelves early here (Wal-Mart, Alberta) and they had it at $189.98. I called my cousin, offering seasons 1-8 for $100 and against bought it. Completely worth it for the companion book alone. The cherry on top to the series. Haven't watched the round table discussion yet (the bonus disc) but even without that disc, I think the book completes the series for true fans. I really think they should offer it separately as said true fans I imagine would have sets 1-8 already.

Michael Corvin 11-04-07 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by beetyke
I think the book completes the series for true fans. I really think they should offer it separately as said true fans I imagine would have sets 1-8 already.

Exactly. The true fans already bought each season at a higher cost average than this set.

brhow 11-04-07 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Exactly. The true fans already bought each season at a higher cost average than this set.

This has made me kind of angry actually. Those of us who have bought the individual sets probably have spent around $250 (maybe more) to get all 9. To offer the complete set in nicer packaging with a bonus disc and a book for well under the price of what their biggest fans paid seems pretty insulting.

It does not make me want to spend any more money by buying again, that's for sure.

chase3001 11-04-07 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by beetyke
It was on shelves early here (Wal-Mart, Alberta) and they had it at $189.98. I called my cousin, offering seasons 1-8 for $100 and against bought it. Completely worth it for the companion book alone. The cherry on top to the series. Haven't watched the round table discussion yet (the bonus disc) but even without that disc, I think the book completes the series for true fans. I really think they should offer it separately as said true fans I imagine would have sets 1-8 already.

Which Walmart, as I do live in Edmonton?

Wick 11-04-07 05:40 PM

My copy of the Seasons 5/6 Gift Set is still unopened, so I'm going to try to return it to Blockbuster (where I got it a year ago.) It still has its price tag on it and I know the manager, who told me I could return it. So, I should be able to get about $120 or so for it. Then I'm going to sell my other seasons (I'm trying to sell them on here, actually. I have Seasons 1-3 in the Gift Set and Season 4,) so I should only have to pay about $40-50...which isn't bad, considering that it'd probably cost me that to get the final seasons I need anyways.

beetyke 11-04-07 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by chase3001
Which Walmart, as I do live in Edmonton?

Drayton Valley. Was visiting some family and we had to stop by Wal-Mart. He says that's the best thing about a small town as they are always breaking street dates. I live South Side Edmonton and no one in South Common had it today (Wal-Mart, London Drugs, Best Buy, HMV).

yourlocalcinema 11-04-07 10:16 PM

Ugh, I'm going to be combing eBay like a fiend looking for that bonus disc. I'd absolutely kill to see that roundtable chat, but I just can't justify buying this when I already have 1-8.

shacmasta 11-04-07 10:28 PM

I'm with the majority who is pissed that we are getting a complete set.

Them not setting up some type of offer for the fans who went along and bought every season set as they were getting released just plain sucks as usual.

Breton 11-05-07 12:23 AM

There is some type of bonus DVD with the purchase of Season 9 from Target, but probably not the same one as the complete seasons set.

tofferman 11-05-07 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by shacmasta
I'm with the majority who is pissed that we are getting a complete set.

Them not setting up some type of offer for the fans who went along and bought every season set as they were getting released just plain sucks as usual.

Agreed, though if the book were to be made available separately, I'm not sure if I would buy it. Knowing me, I would look at it once and from there forth, it would simply gather dust.

The bonus disc, on the other hand, I would love to have alongside the season sets I have already acquired as it has replay value.

nateman 11-05-07 10:29 AM

I wonder if maybe they’ll release the book w/bonus disc at book stores?

I’m in the pissed off majority. Same with the King of Queens – Complete Series set that’s coming out tomorrow; has bonus features that the final season (9) DVD didn’t contain.

I'll just be picking up the Season Nine individual release of Seinfeld tommorow.

Trevor 11-05-07 10:53 AM

I'm screwed here too. I have bought most of the earlier seasons to get store exclusives, and will have to do that again tomorrow for season 9.

And may "have" to buy the complete series at BB for their exclusive.

This is one time where I hope to be able to resist my addiction.

kefrank 11-05-07 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by tofferman
Agreed, though if the book were to be made available separately, I'm not sure if I would buy it. Knowing me, I would look at it once and from there forth, it would simply gather dust.

The bonus disc, on the other hand, I would love to have alongside the season sets I have already acquired as it has replay value.

i'm with you. seinfeld is my favorite television show of all time and i'm sure i would like having that book, but i don't need another book laying around that i'll probably only look at once.

i'd really like to own the bonus dvd, but i'm sure i can live without it. it's a long shot, but maybe netflix will have it available for rent.

MikeShaynePI 11-05-07 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
There's a deal with B&N if you are a member, and if you pay with a MasterCard, you can get 60% off.

Check out the bargains forum.

No, I meant like I have seasons 1-8 and am trying to unload them, hopefully getting at least 100 bucks.

animatedude 11-05-07 04:30 PM

i need to see actual pix of the Bestbuy exclusive,if anyone got it,please show us some pix! thanks!

DeanoBKN 11-05-07 04:58 PM

They should really release that book with bonus DVD for the true fans (or early adaptors) who bought all 7 releases over the years. This is really a spit in the face to us.

However, if I can get $100 for my 7 DVD sets, I will probably buy this. After all, season 9 is $30, and the book, bonus DVD, and case will be worth the extra dough. I won't spend more then $70 out of pocket for the set.

g 11-05-07 07:06 PM

They will just reduce the price of this set in a year or two. I'm not in any hurry. I rather use the bn coupon for other things.

Sparrow 11-05-07 07:14 PM

It was difficult to unload the few season sets that I had (much easier to sell the X-Files slim sets), so I've pre-ordered this through B&N with their amazing 50% off coupon. I'm looking forward to perusing the coffee table book and having the complete package in one shebang (I have used that term in a while ;).

The Best Buy exclusive packaging looks interesting, but I like the clean, conservative look of the regular complete packaging.

LoPan5705 11-05-07 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by brhow
This has made me kind of angry actually. Those of us who have bought the individual sets probably have spent around $250 (maybe more) to get all 9. To offer the complete set in nicer packaging with a bonus disc and a book for well under the price of what their biggest fans paid seems pretty insulting.

Thats true, but the people buying the complete set missed out on the 2 giftsets that were released for Seasons 1/2/3 and 5/6. I know a couple of people that plan to trade or sell their sets just to get this complete set. I don't understand why after spending all that time waiting for each season to be released and then spending the money to buy each one. It's been about 3 years since Seinfeld first came to DVD and I'm happy with what I have and will be happy when I get Season 9 to complete the series.