DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Stanley Kubrick Collection discussion (Part II) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/516178-stanley-kubrick-collection-discussion-part-ii.html)

islandclaws 11-03-07 09:51 AM

Stanley Kubrick Collection discussion (Part II)

I ordered my set from Family Video, but now that I just got an HD player I'm wondering if it should just return it to someplace like BB without a receipt and pay a little extra for the HD versions. I've read reviews that said Shining and 2001 looked better than the SD. Anyone know if the HD's look <i>that</i> much better that I should upgrade?

fridayfan13 11-03-07 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by KillerCannabis
I ordered my set from Family Video, but now that I just got an HD player I'm wondering if it should just return it to someplace like BB without a receipt and pay a little extra for the HD versions. I've read reviews that said Shining and 2001 looked better than the SD. Anyone know if the HD's look <i>that</i> much better that I should upgrade?

i have the same question. i just got my box from DD, and have a friend that would be willing to buy it from me if i were to buy the HD dvds. has anyone seen the HD versions yet, and are they really worth the upgrade? im guessing that they are, but i really dont want to have to spend more money at the moment.

TheDuke 11-03-07 10:39 AM

The Digital Bits says that 2001 looks AMAZING in high def, but that was for the Blu-Ray but I don't think they would differ that much.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/mytwocentsa145.html#2001

movieprince 11-03-07 12:43 PM

You know that digitalbits campaign for Blu-Ray though.

Jason One 11-03-07 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by movieprince

How does that invalidate their review in any way?

Warner always uses the same encodes for their Blu-ray and HD DVD releases, so obviously any review of the 2001 Blu-ray will also apply to the identical HD DVD version.

Tarantinoholic 11-03-07 02:38 PM

DVDTalk's review for the set is up!
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=31262

TheDuke 11-03-07 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by movieprince

It isn't really a campaign, they just support it because overall it is the better choice. It isn't like Sony is paying them or anything.

Mr. Salty 11-03-07 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by KillerCannabis
I ordered my set from Family Video, but now that I just got an HD player I'm wondering if it should just return it to someplace like BB without a receipt and pay a little extra for the HD versions.

I would return it and get the HD version, but I would return it to Family Video rather than commit fraud. If it's unopened, Family Video should accept the return with no problem.

islandclaws 11-03-07 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
I would return it and get the HD version, but I would return it to Family Video rather than commit fraud. If it's unopened, Family Video should accept the return with no problem.

But with fraud I get more store credit... Just kidding. But, no, seriously I'm going to do that. I'd rather have all of these in HD than not.

dhs122 11-04-07 09:55 AM

I've been going back and forth on this set. I have the previous one. For those of you who own- is it really worth the upgrade? I don't have HD.

PatrickMcCart 11-04-07 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by dhs122
I've been going back and forth on this set. I have the previous one. For those of you who own- is it really worth the upgrade? I don't have HD.

If you have the 2001 box set, you're probably fine until HD. The big pull is on the extras, the original widescreen formats for The Shining, FMJ, and EWS, and the uncut version of EWS.

If you have the 1999 box set or none of the Kubrick DVDs (like myself), it's an obvious purchase. Besides Sony's 2-disc Dr. Strangelove, I only had the ugly MGM disc for 2001 (which I regret selling since it has the Clarke vintage film).

A Clockwork Orange isn't a huge upgrade since the 2001 non-anamorphic remaster was virtually perfect. Same thing for the non-anamorphic, but remastered Lolita and Barry Lyndon. 2001 loses the DVNR and edge enhancement on the '01 DVD.

rennervision 11-05-07 04:40 PM

I'm waiting for the DDD 20% off sale to pick this up, and have a few questions:

(1) What is the aspect ratio on the Full Metal Jacket DVD?

(2) So Eyes Wide Shut does not have the R-rated version as advertised? Is Warner going to fix this?

(3) Is The Shining matted correctly? I believe someone mentioned in a previous thread you can still see the shadow of the helicopter filming the opening scenes. Is that correct? (That shot always annoys me to no end, knowing what a perfectionist Kubrick was!)

Drexl 11-05-07 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by rennervision
I'm waiting for the DDD 20% off sale to pick this up, and have a few questions:

(1) What is the aspect ratio on the Full Metal Jacket DVD?

(2) So Eyes Wide Shut does not have the R-rated version as advertised? Is Warner going to fix this?

(3) Is The Shining matted correctly? I believe someone mentioned in a previous thread you can still see the shadow of the helicopter filming the opening scenes. Is that correct? (That shot always annoys me to no end, knowing what a perfectionist Kubrick was!)

1. 1.78:1 (customary for Warner's 1.85:1 titles)

2. No, it just has the unrated edition.

3. Yes, the helicopter blades would still be visible to some extent, even in theaters. They're just an oversight and Kubrick was fine with the shot anyway. They were never an example of something that wasn't supposed to be seen due to opening the mattes.

ScissorPuppy 11-05-07 06:14 PM

Just got the HD DVD versions of The Shining, Eyes Wide Shut and A clockwork Orange. The 2nd disc of ACO won't load, a message comes up saying that the disc is not a DVD formated disc. Has anyone else had this problem? Could this possibly be a firmware issue? I just bought the A3, so far everything else plays great.

cardaway 11-05-07 06:18 PM

I received my set from Family Video today and I noticed right off (without taking off the wrapping) that I too got the wrong Shining and Pictures covers (like I expected) but none of the titles have slipcovers.

I thought I was reading that others got slipcovers on all the movies and that the mixup was that the slipcover on the Shining was the same as the individual release and not the "door"cover we were supposed to get.

Anybody else not get any slipcovers within the box set? Has anybody got the correct cover for the Shining? Anybody think new shipments will be correct?

dlinke01 11-05-07 06:59 PM

My set did not have slipcovers either. I don't think anyone's did.

cardaway 11-05-07 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by dlinke01
My set did not have slipcovers either. I don't think anyone's did.

I thought I was reading posts where people got slipcovers within the box set that matched the cover art for the special box set covers (HAL's eye for example).

sb5 11-05-07 07:57 PM

No slipcovers on the DVD's of my set either.

bluetoast 11-05-07 08:11 PM

Nobody got slipcovers with their box sets, I'm pretty sure of that.

PatrickMcCart 11-05-07 08:21 PM

The helicopter blades really aren't that visible. It simply looks like the blue sky is pulsating slightly.

islandclaws 11-05-07 08:35 PM

I canceled my FV order and bought Shining yesterday. I decided I need to have these on HD. Now to just track down the rest. ACO is still a 2-disc set? Even on HD? Weak.

manicsounds 11-05-07 10:41 PM

Seems most people that got the boxset have the wrong coverart for he Shining. Any word on Warner sending out the uniform coverart or not?

MTRodaba2468 11-06-07 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by cardaway
I thought I was reading posts where people got slipcovers within the box set that matched the cover art for the special box set covers (HAL's eye for example).

Mine didn't have slipcovers either. The Shining cover art is the same as the separate release, though.

I did take the slipcovers off the separate titles at work, though, simply because I preferred their cover art to the covers in the box set.

Duh Vuh Duh 11-07-07 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by manicsounds
Seems most people that got the boxset have the wrong coverart for he Shining. Any word on Warner sending out the uniform coverart or not?

Put me in the wrong Shining artwork camp, got my box on Monday from famvideo. I doubt they will do any kind of replacement program, but I hope they will, it looks so out of place with the other spines.

Imail724 11-07-07 05:42 PM

Did anyone get the correct cover for The Shining?