DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Eastern Promises --> Dec. 26th! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/515996-eastern-promises-dec-26th.html)

Mao 11-01-07 02:30 AM

Eastern Promises --> Dec. 26th!

Just the confirmed date for what many are calling one of the best films of the year, not to mention one of Cronenberg's best!

basaro 11-01-07 04:06 AM

I'm in. Was going to see this but missed it, so still looking forward to it. Added to my wish list, thanks Mao.
So, Xmas falls on Tuesday this year, guess I'm taking Monday off. :D

Dr Mabuse 11-01-07 07:38 AM

oh man i am all over this...

i'm stoked...

i kept meaning to catch it in the theatre...

missed it...

steebo777 11-01-07 07:42 AM

Amazing movie. And I really mean that too. Can't wait to get this one.

AfRoMaN787 11-01-07 07:55 AM

Will this be released on blu ray as well?

RichC2 11-01-07 08:15 AM

I really enjoyed the movie, but felt the ending was sloppy and rushed, was sort of disappointed by that since the rest of the movie ran so smoothly.

But I guess thats what happens when you make a genre pic instead of an epic :). Solid flick, will probably be picking it up.

Originally Posted by AfRoMaN787
Will this be released on blu ray as well?

Focus Features = Universal's Arthouse branch, Universal = HD-DVD Exclusive. So no, it won't be released on Blu-ray, at least, not in the US.

*cough* $98 Toshiba HD-DVD A2 *cough*

wlverinefactor 11-01-07 08:15 AM

Great film. Best of the year so far.

uncle-frank 11-01-07 09:31 AM

loved this one, will definatley pick it up

The Bus 11-01-07 09:33 AM

Mao, any news on the HD DVD?

bboisvert 11-01-07 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by The Bus
Mao, any news on the HD DVD?

I would assume (and hope!) it'll be day-and-date. This one is a must-buy.

Zen Peckinpah 11-01-07 09:51 AM

Oh man! Viggo's nutsack in HD! It's the revolution HD-DVD has been waiting for! PARRRRRRRRRRRRRTY!

:D

Spoiler:
It had to be said.

alfonsosoriano 11-01-07 10:37 AM

I'm a HUGE Cronenberg fan but I somehow missed seeing this in theaters. Can't wait for the day AFTER Christmas!!!!

islandclaws 11-01-07 10:58 AM

Great movie with one of the most intense fight sequences ever filmed. I'm a major Cronenberg nut, so this one will be added to my collection asap.

E.D. 11-01-07 03:25 PM

Definetly picking this up. I was rather surprised I liked this so much considering how enormously disappointed I was in "A History of Violence."

Drop 11-01-07 03:34 PM

Didn't catch it the theatre, but it's a definite blind buy.

tofferman 11-01-07 03:40 PM

This will be a blind buy for me. :thumbsup:

The No Man 11-01-07 04:00 PM

Loved this movie. Probably the best fight scene I've ever seen. I am also a huge fan of History of Violence.

Will definitely get this.

Willh51 11-01-07 04:13 PM

I watched this in theaters but will at least rent so I don't have to hear the lady bitching behind me how violent and "horrible" it was.

Peep 11-01-07 07:06 PM

Conversation with my wife after seeing the movie:

Her: That was one of the most realistic fight scenes ever?
Me: Realistic? One of the men was completely naked during the whole fight.
Her: That's how all fights are... in my mind.

dpz301 11-01-07 07:11 PM

a nice little post Christmas treat!! :up:

Zen Peckinpah 11-01-07 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Peep
Conversation with my wife after seeing the movie:

Her: That was one of the most realistic fight scenes ever?
Me: Realistic? One of the men was completely naked during the whole fight.
Her: That's how all fights are... in my mind.

:lol:

Side note: remember that scene at the beginning of Red Heat where Schwarzenegger gets in that steambath brawl in a towel-thong with those two dudes and the fight spills into the snow? That was like a prophetic, low-rate version of the scene in this.

Might grab the HD-DVD; loved History of Violence way more and while I really liked this movie, I'd rather not bust my balls (no pun intended :D) to pay a high price for this.

mikelowry 11-01-07 10:48 PM

Heard a lot of good opinions on this movie. I'll consider this for my December/January DVD purchase list. Is there a 2 disc edition?

RichC2 11-03-07 10:56 AM

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh..._December/1139

Universal has announced that the David Cronenberg mob thriller 'Eastern Promises' will make its way to HD DVD just in time for the new year.

The follow-up to Cronenberg's highly-acclaimed 'A History of Violence,' 'Eastern Promises' didn't quite nab the same buzz or box office despite the presence of stars Viggo Mortensen and Naomi Watts. Perhaps hoping to give it a boost ahead of Oscar time, Universal is giving 'Eastern Promises' a speedy home video turnaround, debuting the flick day-and-date on HD DVD and standard-def DVD December 26 -- a mere three months after it first hit theaters.

Tech specs are set to include 1080p/VC-1 video, and audio options in Dolby TrueHD (48kHz/24-bit) and Dolby Digital-Plus (1.5mbps) 5.1 surround.

Announced extras are slim, including two featurettes (entitled "Secrets and Stories" and "Marked for Life"), plus the studio's MyScenes bookmark function.

Retail for the HD DVD/DVD combo release is $39.98.

You'll find disc details for 'Eastern Promises' linked from our HD DVD Release Schedule, where it is indexed under December 26.

We've also set up a dedicated thread for Universal's latest in our Forums area -- click the following link to discuss the 'Eastern Promises' HD DVD release.

manicsounds 11-03-07 09:19 PM

Compared to past Cronenberg releases, this sounds too skimpy. A History of Violence, The Fly, or Videodrome, etc had great making-of material and commentary by Cronenberg, which is always great to hear....