Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

How many movies still wrapped?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

How many movies still wrapped?

Old 10-29-07, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
None. Part of the fun in buying DVDs is cracking them open.

I love that new DVD smell.
Old 10-29-07, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
more than a few, less than a lot.
Old 10-29-07, 02:32 PM

None. I open them as soon as I get them. That's the fun part, opening up that case and seeing that brand new, shiny DVD there just waiting to be watched.
Old 10-29-07, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Piling on here... El zippo. Roll the dice on a damaged/missing disc? No thanks.
Old 10-29-07, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Zero. The answer will always be zero.
Old 10-29-07, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

One. I watched Meatballs at my friends house and then bought it the next day. Still haven't decided to sit down and rewatch it yet.
Old 10-29-07, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 96 Likes on 65 Posts
Another immediate opener here. Have to make sure the disc is OK inside of the return window.

I'll never forget excitedly opening the DVD case of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels my fiancee got me for Christmas 6 years to find an empty case. Had the factory seals and shrink wrap.

I also now shake every title I pick out at a store to check for weight and loose discs. I'm sure I look like a nutcase to people.
Old 10-29-07, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Have about 30 or so unwrapped titles here, including a copy of Return of the Magnificent Seven that I bought back in 2002. I've never even seen the film- suppose I should get around to it one of these years.
Old 10-29-07, 06:00 PM

Noirfan,
thank god i am not the only one, what is your excuse as to not ripping open your dvds like a 5 year old xmas day? My excuse is why open something I am not going to watch asap.
Old 10-29-07, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
None sealed for me....I've seen that one guy in the Wrestling DVD section has a bunch I believe....I just couldn't ever do that....I won a Walt Disney Treasure sealed last year and it came with 2 Disc 1's, but I was lucky enough to be able to send it back and get a new one.
Old 10-30-07, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
None for me. I open most things in the car as soon as I get out of the store. I like to be sure everything is in it's place before I drive off.
Old 10-30-07, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have never had an unopened DVD for very long. Furthermore, how in heck do people accumulate a stack of DVDs they've yet to watch? I've noticed this over the years and always shake my head in amazement.
Old 10-30-07, 03:38 PM

I used to open all my DVDs up when I got them but since I've been buying so many lately and I haven't had as much time to watch them lately with school and Halo 3 distracting me, I don't open up any DVD's until I'm going to watch it, so as of today I have 17 unopened DVDs.

Donnie Darko - Theatrical Cut
A History of Violence
Lucky Number Slevin
Dragon Heat
City of Violence
Last Hurrah for Chivalry
Infernal Affairs 3
OZ Seasons 3-6
Upright Citizens Brigade Season 2
The Chumscrubber
Dog Bite Dog
Scrubs Season 6
The 3 Stooges Collection 1934-36
Day Watch
Old 10-30-07, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 174 Likes on 129 Posts
I'm curious--many of you have indicated your reasoning for opening your DVDs have been to check for problems. How often do you encounter such problems?

I've purchased hundreds of DVDs. I've never had one that was scratched---of course, I avoid ones in the store where you can tell they're loose inside. The only problem I've ever had was a TV series that contained 2 disc 1's and no disc 2. I wrote to the studio and was sent a whole new set as a replacement.

Perhaps I've just been lucky, but it's never been a worry of mine to have a problem with a DVD that came new out of package.
Old 10-30-07, 07:58 PM

I have about fifty DVDs that are still in their shrinkwrap.

Most of the unopened DVDs are films that I watched elsewhere and loved and decided to buy it for my collection. I haven't gotten around to watching them again, so they stay in pristine condition inside the wrapping until I do decide to watch them.

Of the hundreds of DVDs I have opened and watched, I've never gotten a disc that had problems, so I guess I'm not worried about getting a defective disc. I mean, really, what are the chances of getting a non-scratch-related defective disc that isn't reported on this forum?
Old 10-30-07, 08:02 PM

Over 100+ Sealed still
Old 10-31-07, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Probably about 15-20 still sealed. I've been watching a lot lately and catching up, but had a sealed backlog there for a while of about 50 or so. I'll probably start opening quicker now thinking about some discs having errors, etc.

Although, not opening did work out for me in a couple of instances where I waited long enough to open a title that an SE had come out and then I just returned the old still sealed version to walmart and picked up the SE. This worked for Up in Smoke, Coming to America, and Major League. Also, just looked the other day and noticed I still had Commando sealed from a couple of black fridays ago, so I'll have to return that and pick up the DC.
Old 11-01-07, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I open everything immediately also. I want to know if there are any problems. Over the years I've twice opened a factory-sealed DVD with security stickers to find a blank CD inside, encountered 3 instances of duplicate discs, one where there was no disc at all, and probably about 20 times where the disc was badly scratched, cracked or chipped. If that's the case I want to know about it right away in order to facilitate an exchange or return. I also check to see which ones need a replacement case because of my anal retentive need to use only certain types of cases in my collection (no cheapos, stackers, or other oddball brands/styles).

As far as unwatched movies, I don't have any. I never blind buy anything anymore, and only buy movies that I love and know I'll want to watch again. Every so often I assess my collection and weed out anything that I've grown disinterested in and decide I no longer want. That happens maybe once a year. Yesterday I ended up watching Identity for the first time since it originally came out and realized how badly it had dated since I bought it. So I'll probably do some more purging this week.
Old 11-13-07, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I keep them all sealed until I am about to watch them. This has been to my benefit many times since I often think I got a great deal but a better one pops up or a better edition and a sealed copy can be returned or at least resold for a higher price.

Just recently, I bought the new restored Elvis DVDs of Jailhouse Rock and Viva Las Vegas and the extras-laden 2 disc releases of This is Elvis and That's The Way It Is. Well, as it happens, I had already bought the older, not so great releases earlier for about 5 or 6 dollars during a DD sale or wherever but never got around to watching and opening them. I put them all up on half.com and sold each one for from $8 to $15 - which was more than I even paid for them (don't ask me why people are paying that much for the old versions when the new ones didn't even cost me that much). If I had opened them I could not have sold them for that much, even though they would have been just as new and unwatched. As for bad or missing disks, I haven't had any yet, but it's a pain dealing with online stores for returns anyway, even if you find out right away you need one.
Old 11-13-07, 12:27 AM
Cool New Member

Don't have any. I don't really but many movies even though I have a few and there are a few more i'll wind up getting. I mainly by tv season dvd sets and I have opened all of those also.
Old 11-13-07, 12:55 AM

I usually unwrap my DVDs the day I buy them- not because I feel like a disc will be damaged (I've never had an experience with that), but because I'm curious and like to see the disc artwork and such right away.
Old 11-13-07, 01:33 PM

I used to open every DVD immediately, and I enjoyed doing so. But then I realized that I felt it was better to leave DVDs wrapped until I watched them in case I decided to sell them for some reason, such as a DVD going out of print and becoming valuable, or if a better version gets released and I want to sell or return the one I bought. So now I don't open DVDs until I am ready to watch them, and I've got about 30-35 unopened ones now out of a collection of just over 400.
Old 11-13-07, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MrDs10e
But then I realized that I felt it was better to leave DVDs wrapped until I watched them in case I decided to sell them for some reason, such as a DVD going out of print and becoming valuable
I was pleased with myself for not opening my copy of His Girl Friday, as I was able to sell it for a higher price on Amazon once I bought the Cary Grant set. Since the title was only $9.98 from CH, I was actually able to make a profit, which would not have been the case had the DVD been opened.
Old 11-13-07, 05:50 PM
Cool New Member

I also open right away to check, I'm always curious about the disc-art and if there are -maybe- any inserts, like in the good 'ole days. I'd gladly pay some extra for my discs if they would all come back with inserts/chapter-listings. Not that I ever used them for playback reference, but I really like seeing 'em in my DVD cases.
Old 11-14-07, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I open mine immediately 99% of the time. The only one I still have sealed is Robocop 3. I should really unwrap that someday.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.