Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

DVDs: How many is too many?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-07, 07:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
You thinned your collection from 700 to around 50?? Wow, I think I would find that process way too painful...

I had 3,673 at my highest point in 2005 after starting my collection in 1997. I have since thinned my collectiuon down to 500 dvd's (films) and 4 televison series. In fact I still need to trim around another 200 films or so. It was the addiction of buying them but they just sat there and collected dust. Really anything thing more than 300 is too much IMHO, most of the films just sit there...sure you might watch a film once a year or once every couple years but I figured if i want to see a film that bad it was just cheaper to rent it.
Old 10-28-07, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Yakuza Bengoshi
If you paid as much attention to my post as you seem to have done to my DVD collection you'd see that I referred to Oceans 13 and Rush Hour 3 as mediocre. I said nothing about Rush Hour 1 and 2. It seems to me your confusion is based on a belief that Rush Hour 1-3 are some kind of inseparable trilogy and if one likes and owns 1 or 1-2, one must own all three for completeness sake. I suppose, in large part, it’s consumers like you that we have to thank for the endless parade of sequels: why deal with any new cinematic experiences when one can have more of the same.

All that said, I'll now agree with you that I consider Rush Hour 1 and 2 mediocre too. They were a blind buy bundle in late 2001 or early 2002. I've also bought plenty of DVDs over the past seven years that weren't blind buys that I would now call mediocre and not buy now were I to have it to do over again, and beyond those blind buys and bad buys I've also picked up a few DVD lots for resale here and there and they're in my collection too though I'll never watch them (see e.g., all the sealed anime titles I’m trying to unload in my trade thread). You’ll find Rush Hour 1 & 2 and plenty of those other titles in my for trade thread should you be looking to add some cheap titles to your collection. If on the other hand you'd like to find some films in my collection which I like but which may provide some fodder for your amusement look through the folders divided by year in my collection.

Finally, I'll note again that my second post that you took such exception too that you decided to abandon this thread (but then came back anyway) was intended to question your decision to buy films you didn't much like just so you'd have a complete set. That idea still boggles my mind and you've never bothered to post a response so I put to you directly, why buy films you don't enjoy?
If i find those films cheap i'll buy them but i'll say that i wouldnt be in much of a rush to buy them at $30.

Last edited by JHBulls; 10-28-07 at 08:36 PM.
Old 10-28-07, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

why buy films you don't enjoy?
Originally Posted by JHBulls
If i find those films cheap i'll buy them but i'll say that i wouldnt be in much of a rush to buy them at $30.
So it seems you don't know why you do it either.
Old 10-28-07, 10:26 PM

So it seems you don't know why you do it either.
Buying films i dont care much about and what you do "blind buys" is the same thing.

Cyber-fighting isnt a hobby, i hope you know that.

Let me guess you want to get your post count up?

Thank you for all the concern but whatever i do is none of your business get your own life.

Last edited by JHBulls; 10-28-07 at 10:30 PM.
Old 10-28-07, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't really want to get involved, but I'm interested in hearing how blind buys and buying something you already know you don't like are at all similar.
Old 10-28-07, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Al Padrino
I don't really want to get involved, but I'm interested in hearing how blind buys and buying something you already know you don't like are at all similar.

Blind buys are usually cheap films which you'll watch once and thats all.

Im confused how i wrote one thing and someone who i dont know has gotten interested and is trying to make me look like an idiot but i have strong will power and it doesnt concern me but being a loser like this fellow isnt a good trait.

I suggest that person get a life and as i previously said cyber-fighting is not a hobby.

Last edited by JHBulls; 10-28-07 at 10:40 PM.
Old 10-28-07, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For what it's worth, I've made many blind buys that were neither cheap nor titles I only watched once. Scanning these boards the last four years, I can say I'm not the only one.
Old 10-28-07, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Al Padrino
For what it's worth, I've made many blind buys that were neither cheap nor titles I only watched once. Scanning these boards the last four years, I can say I'm not the only one.
I guess.

I've contributed in ruining this thread for everyone and i am sorry but when i write something and have it challenged by somebody i feel the need to try to defend myself.

Last edited by JHBulls; 10-28-07 at 10:53 PM.
Old 10-29-07, 03:15 AM

You have too many DVDs if:

1) You don't have any place to store them.

2) You can't afford to pay for things you either need or want more because you're spending it on DVDs.

3) YOU think you have too many DVDs.

If none of these apply, then you don't have too many.

Spoken by someone at 1400 and counting.
Old 10-29-07, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

JHBulls, since you don't know why you buy films you don't enjoy and are hostile to considering the issue further, I'll stop inquiring of you. I'm still interested in the issue though because it confirms my theory that a certain segment of the market buys DVDs of films that they don't enjoy, and it supports my theory that many of those buyers don't give much thought to why they do it, and if pressed couldn't come up with a reason for doing so. To save you from having to apologize yet again for having participated in the derailment of this thread, I'll start my own thread on this topic.
Old 10-29-07, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
At about 500 I realized the odds of my watching any movie more than once was slim to none. At this point, I'm not buying nearly as many DVDs as I was a few years ago. Probably about 1/3 in fact. Still, I'm getting about 30 movies a year.
Old 10-29-07, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yakuza Bengoshi you don't seem to enjoy dvds anymore. Do you have depression?
Old 10-29-07, 01:38 PM
Cool New Member

I have about 150 DVDs...

but I have about 900 video games.
Old 10-29-07, 03:03 PM

My li'l collection is just a shade under under 300 titles. Not much by some standards. I forget the exact figure but I calculated that if I spent something like 4 hours a day watching DVDs just from said collection, it would take me nearly 9 months to watch 'em all.
Old 10-29-07, 03:24 PM
Banned

I am closing in on 2000 dvds in my collection. I get sick to my stomach sometimes thinking about how much I have spent since the birth of dvds. Dvdspot says the retail value is $50,000, I cringe thinking about how much I have spent thru the years. Seeing my collection brings nightmares at times, I can't even imagine what goes thru the minds of the people on here who buy 17 versions of movies just to have every exclusive made. 17 different versions of the same movie, think about that for a moment.
Old 10-29-07, 03:30 PM

I have about 550 movies and 83 tv titles most consisting of more then one season. My mom thinks its too many but I am not living with her. I was never into picking up all the releases tuesday. I love movies and tv but its a hobby like I was into baseball card collecting at one point. I am not hungry and I pay my bills with no outstanding cc debt. I wait for a dvd to be around $5/movie or $20/tv show. If I watch a movie and don't care for it I let my brother have it or I'll sell to co-workers. Going through my speeding tabs my speeding has been going down yet I get more dvd for the buck.
Old 10-29-07, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Silverscreenvid
You have too many DVDs if:

1) You don't have any place to store them.

2) You can't afford to pay for things you either need or want more because you're spending it on DVDs.

3) YOU think you have too many DVDs.

If none of these apply, then you don't have too many.

Spoken by someone at 1400 and counting.
Hehe, I guess doing without breakfast and dinner in order to buy more dvds counts for #2 huh?

But in all seriousness, I've gone from 30 to 350 in a year then back down to 120 when I needed money a year in a half ago and now I'm back at 250. I enjoy having a nice library of movies, I'm never said, "Darn, I don't have anything to watch" or "Man I have too many." I give myself a $100 week budget for all my expensives (outside of my car payment, insurance etc), so if that means a meal or 2 needs to be skipped for a DVD sale then so be it
Old 10-29-07, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by JLBkret
I get sick to my stomach sometimes thinking about how much I have spent . . . I cringe thinking about how much I have spent . . . Seeing my collection brings nightmares . . .
Buddy, you need an intervention. If collecting DVDs makes you feel sick to the stomach, cringe, and gives you nightmares, it's time to stop.
Old 10-29-07, 03:43 PM
Banned

Buddy, you need an intervention. If collecting DVDs makes you feel sick to the stomach, cringe, and gives you nightmares, it's time to stop.
I completely agree with you. This is like an out of control addiction, no matter if it is alcohol, drugs, gambling, etc, it is the same thing. Last week I spent over $400 on new releases, just another pile to add to the unwatched stack. This week I am watching the HBO show OZ on dvd, Amazon had an amazing deal for the 6 seasons a few months ago. Fantastic show, one of the best I have seen in a long time, but after I am done what the heck am I going to do with this set? Love the show but how many times do I intend to watch it again? Maybe one more time years from now I don't know.
Dvd collecting is just like any other hobby, when you have enough you have to stop buying.
Old 10-29-07, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by JLBkret
I completely agree with you. This is like an out of control addiction, no matter if it is alcohol, drugs, gambling, etc, it is the same thing.
If you want to PM me contact info for your partner or parents I can speak to them on your behalf and let them know you're hurting and need help.
Old 10-29-07, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If you want to PM me contact info for your partner or parents I can speak to them on your behalf and let them know you're hurting and need help.
Coming from someone with 1250+ dvds. LOL!
Old 10-29-07, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
I had to seriously thin out my collection last year. I bought way too much stuff from both DDD 20% off sales in 2006, including numerous complete TV series and catalog titles I knew I'd never watch more than once.

I've been doing a lot better these days, believe it or not, because I got into Blu-Ray and HD DVD. I buy very few films on DVD now. I'm mostly buying day and date high-def discs or replacing my DVD's with high-def as they street.

I've also been using Netflix a lot more for stuff I would have blind bought, which helps keep me from buying something that looks interesting then sticking it on a shelf for 3 years.

I believe my title count was up near 1600+ last year (including TV titles), yet right now I am hovering around 950.

I'd wager 10% of that number could easily be liquidated once I see them again. I don't feel so bad about my collection anymore since I know I've trimmed a lot of the fat.

Last edited by bunkaroo; 10-29-07 at 04:13 PM.
Old 10-29-07, 04:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Knives
Coming from someone with 1250+ dvds. LOL!
Well, I have to say that is nothing. Being a member of dvdspot I see the top collector on their site owns over 7000 dvds, now that is beyond comprehension. How could someone justify owning 7000 dvds, what happens if/when they become obsolete? I wonder how many videos this person owns?
Old 10-29-07, 06:11 PM

Yakuza read what was written

I did add that it was to complete those series and gave my reasons for the Simpsons, i never actually said that i enjoyed those movies.

I never actually said that i didnt enjoy those films either and on my following posts i implied it but never actually said such a thing, you just assumed that i did.

Learn to read before you write and maybe people will take you seriously.

Thanks for all the attention you've given me but i think its about time you get yourself a new hobby other than getting your post count on Dvd Talk up (Quality over quantity not the other way around) and i appreciate the other thread you took the time out to dedicate to me.

But now it is getting way too weird im starting to think that you want me all to yourself.

Last edited by JHBulls; 10-29-07 at 06:14 PM.
Old 10-29-07, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

JHBulls, now you're being completely disingenuous, and purposefully misrepresenting our exchange. I said

If a couple mild posts intended to obliquely question the logic of buying DVDs of mediocre movies that you apparently don't even care for make you go all weak at the knees, better to say as little as possible.
Instead of correctly any misapprehensions I may have had about your earlier posts you go off on a tangent. Then when I put the question to you directly,

why buy films you don't enjoy?
You quoted my question and responded

and

Buying films i dont care much about and what you do "blind buys" is the same thing.
Now you want to say that I'm guility of misreading what you've written. A bit late for that protest now. In any event, since I can tell you've really worked yourself up again and this really isn't getting us anywhere let's call it quits.

Last edited by Yakuza Bengoshi; 10-29-07 at 07:13 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.