Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

DVDs: How many is too many?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-07, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
According to DVDAf, I have 458 titles.

Is it a lot? Yes. Do I think it's too much? No. As long as I feel it's something that I like (or would like, in the case of blind buys) and would be willing to watch more than once, it's worth the purchase.
Old 10-27-07, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by tommyp007
same for me.
I don't even concern myself with storage, but at 350+ DVDs, it's now becoming an issue. Good thing I freed up a bit of space by selling off Angel and getting the complete series set .
Old 10-27-07, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I've been buying since around fall of 1999 and my collection is currently at about 2226 (thanks DVD Spot), plus I just got an HD player today so the numbers are likely to grow larger. I wouldn't want to part with any films I own, but every now and then I do a "crap check" to see if there's anything that I really shouldn't own. Right now there is: Rush Hour 1 and 2. Expect to see those in Amoeba's used bin come Sunday.
Old 10-27-07, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
If your chatting on this forum regularly, you probably own too many DVD's.

As long as I maintain my passion for movies, I will never get tired of buying and renting lots of DVD's.

But to keep things real, if space starts to become a problem, then you have too many DVD's.
Old 10-27-07, 06:18 PM

im kind of in the same situation that your in, while my collection is much large (around 300ish)

i do sometimes think "why buy the simpsons, or south park, ect." i see them everynight b4 i go to bed.

what i do usually, is borrow from friends some things on my want list to reduce the size. and if i dont watch a certain movie anymore i sell it.

im not going to keep something for years until i watch it again when i can get something back at the time.

lastly id just recommend buying used as much as possible. so that way if you sell it than your not losing as much as you would buying it new
Old 10-27-07, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by donniemac
For me it what when I realized I was spending too much time figuring out what I wanted to watch instead of actually watching. My dvd watching time is more limited now than what it used to be so I suppose that's a big contributor to my situation. I had around 700 DVDs, whittled it down to under 50 - just my absolutely MUST HAVEs (defined as my favorite movies - not ultimate versions of classics, etc) - but now it's starting to grow again, slowly though.
You thinned your collection from 700 to around 50?? Wow, I think I would find that process way too painful...
Old 10-27-07, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Yakuza Bengoshi
Good plan. If a couple mild posts intended to obliquely question the logic of buying DVDs of mediocre movies that you apparently don't even care for make you go all weak at the knees, better to say as little as possible.

So on to talking to myself:

Man #1: Do you know what the problem with you is?
Man #2: No, tell me.
Man #1: How would I know? I was hoping you knew.

My work here is done.
Just look at your My Dvds section and you'll see that you've called movies that you own mediocre.
Old 10-27-07, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I believe owning around 400 is too much. Which is around how many I own. But I've gotten really good at discriminating. I more or less love everything I own and wouldn't mind re-watching any of it. Unfortunately, there is a lot more out there that I want to collect... and as long as I can get good deals on DVD's I find it hard to quit. I do watch most of my DVD's as I get them though. There is something nice in that. Though I have around 70 or so DVD's to watch (at least) at the moment and that's mostly due to me purchasing a lot of Geneon Anime titles that are going out of print. As a huge Anime fan, and fan of the series I purchased in particular, I felt it important to guarauntee myself access to those shows.
Old 10-27-07, 10:51 PM

I've got about 3000 now, and as long as they continue releasing DVDs that I want, I'll continue to buy. I enjoy my collection so much and derive so much pleasure from collecting old films and television shows that it's worth it.

Too many is when you can no longer afford it.
Old 10-27-07, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by KillerCannabis
I've been buying since around fall of 1999 and my collection is currently at about 2226 (thanks DVD Spot), plus I just got an HD player today so the numbers are likely to grow larger. I wouldn't want to part with any films I own, but every now and then I do a "crap check" to see if there's anything that I really shouldn't own. Right now there is: Rush Hour 1 and 2. Expect to see those in Amoeba's used bin come Sunday.
KillerCannabis, I just had a look at your collection over at the picture thread. Cheers! We would be friends if we lived on the same block.

I'll post pics of mine soon.
Old 10-28-07, 01:19 AM

I was up around 1000 then decided I need to cut down that number. Got it down to 500 and now back to 630. I think I am more comfortable with my buying habits now and i think there realy is not too much as long as you are happy with what you have. If i dont like something then I trade it in for something else.

Here is my storage areas.

Old 10-28-07, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When you have as many as Blockbuster does.
Old 10-28-07, 03:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by dvd_luver
When you have as many as Blockbuster does.
But Blockbuster doesn't carry several titles.
Old 10-28-07, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by JHBulls
So i dont help contribute to ruining this thread i'll let you talk to yourself.
Just couldn't resist coming back?

Just look at your My Dvds section and you'll see that you've called movies that you own mediocre.
Okay, I'll bite. What the hell are you taking about, exactly?
Old 10-28-07, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I go through phases where I think I have *too* many, at which point, I'll select what I think are either mediocre movies (which changes based on my *mood* at that point in time) and I'll thin out my collection drastically, careful to not be extreme about what I sell off or give away.

I've only ever regretted clearing my collection of one DVD and that was Firefly - the series.

I buy whatever I feel like buying at that point in time and I realize that my taste in movies/film has changed over time and more than likely, will continue to change.

I am fairly flexible in what I keep vs. give away vs. sell. I am not inclined to rent any movie and TV sets are definitely not meant to be rented as I'm at the mercy of when Disc X will be in stock and once I start a TV series, I want to watch it consistently...

So, it's up to the individual...based on whatever criteria they set for themselves. I know my criteria changes all the time
Old 10-28-07, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As another poster said, if you post regularly in a DVD forum, you have too many DVDs! I have around 400 DVDs and it's way too many. I've noticed the more I buy, the less I watch. I remember when I had about 10 DVDs, I used to watch them all the time. Now as my collection grows, I watch even less.

I don't even feel like watching my favorite movies anymore - all I think about watching when I don't know what to watch are my Fawlty Towers DVDs and The Office (American series) DVDs.
Old 10-28-07, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts
This question has been on my mind a lot lately as I make up "wish-lists" for (hopefully) upcoming sales.

I'm sure I have over 100 discs/titles that haven't been watched yet- some probably going back to sale purchases in 2002. And it is ironic, but the more you aquire it seems, the harder it is to find something to watch. I usually am more entertained when I don't try to 'program' an evenings viewing and just pull something randomly off the shelf.

Space is definitley an issue (I've been meaning to go out and pick up some rubbermaid tubs- probably will today). And even though I don't plan to go thru the Buffy series, for example, any time soon- I would never want to be without it. Who knows, I may never watch it again, but the last time I did I enjoyed the experience so much, that I could never envision not having immediate access to that material ever again.
On the other hand, had I sold them all off after I went thru the whole series (back in 2004), I would have had money to purchase newer stuff, and by the time I ever had a yen to see Buffy again, I could have taken advantage of much lower priced re-issued sets (that also saved space). So in that case, I think I may have goofed.

Harvey Pekar and R Crumb did a great little strip in American Splendor 25 years ago on the collectors mentality. I'm sure everyone here would releate. At some point, collecting merely for collectings sake kicks in, and the enjoyment of the content you are collecting begins to seep out.
Old 10-28-07, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

how many dvds is too many?? haha, i guess thats like asking how much money is too much, or how much beauty
jokes aside, this depends on everyones personal taste. movie collectors can never be measured with "normal" or "average" standards anyway, we are crazy freaks to begin with
is my case i am currently at around 650 dvds, but as my taste is always evolving, i often rid my collection of movies i am not fond of any longer.
normally i would say that i have enough dvds when i have managed to own all the films i like, but as there are always more and more cool movies being released my collection is an ongoing project, with 50-100 new members to the family every year. therefore i will never own everything i like and the numbers will just continue to grow.
however i think quality is a much bigger argument than quantity. for people who own 3000 dvds i think that they will always own a lot of crap movies as well, because it is pretty damn hard to own 3000 super duper titles!
as space is always an issue, of course i wish my collection was a bit smaller and more compact, but then there are just too many movies i want to own, as i dont rent and always want to have immediate access if a want to watch something in particular.
Old 10-28-07, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You have too many DVDs when you lose interest in counting them anymore. I lost interest in trying to keep up with it years ago. One day I will count them again, but now I have no idea. Kind of like my CDs...I have SO many CDs and just my absolute favorites on display for space reasons in my apartment. The other CDs are stashed away in boxes in hopes one day I get a bigger place, and it would take quite a while to count them all.

I have a lot of those five inch silver colored discs in my home. A LOT.
Old 10-28-07, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by calhoun07
You have too many DVDs when you lose interest in counting them anymore. I lost interest in trying to keep up with it years ago. One day I will count them again, but now I have no idea.
I agree for the most part. For me, I knew I had too many when:

1.....I stopped counting and adding the titles to my on-line catalog. Some of you lads may remember when I was buying 10+ a week. It got tough finding time to give them all a viddey....AND having to sit here and add them all.

2.....I stopped wanting to hang out in this forum 24 hours a freakin' day and TALK about the damn things.

Am I still buying? Yup....I have around 3,200 titles, give ot take a hundie. Do I think I have too many? Sometimes. This week I thought I had too few I guess and added another 9 to the library vault. I guess it's TELLING everyone what I just bought that got old. I realized that the last thing I needed to tell the old vets around here was how much of a film/dvd whore I am. No worries....the legend continues(just in stealth mode).

Now the toughest thing I have to do is decide on if I should buy more dvds or more paddling gear, which honestly, is more essential.

Last edited by gutwrencher; 10-28-07 at 02:52 PM.
Old 10-28-07, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I find everything I want minus the new release exclusives for about $2-3. I occasionally will trim the collection for trade at the local used DVD/CD/Book store and then I am able to find the one's that are a little harder to find. The store I go to is the size of a hockey rink and has everything and then some.

I'm in agreement with the cost of the hobby. In fact, if you play your cards right you can make some nice cash on the side. Once an oop DVD starts selling well it;s off to Ebay. No need for OOP titles when I can't watch what I already have.
Old 10-28-07, 03:32 PM
Cool New Member

The only reason I know how many I have is my storage system. I print out a small cover that has a collection number and the title on it. I slip that over the original cover and then put the DVD case into a storage box. When all of the DVDs are in order, its alot easier to find the movie you want. I tried to keep them in alphabetical order but that just doesn't work well.

Later

Swarty
Old 10-28-07, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

In ten years, it's gonna be 25-cent DVDs you'll be seeing in garage sales and flea markets. DVDs are already selling at around $1 to $7 right now at garage sales/flea markets.
Old 10-28-07, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Yakuza Bengoshi
Just couldn't resist coming back?

Okay, I'll bite. What the hell are you taking about, exactly?

I told you that i am going to buy Oceans 13 and Rush Hour 3 so i could finish those series and you called those movies mediocre but you own Rush Hour 1 and 2.

So do you pay money for movies that you think are mediocre?
Old 10-28-07, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I told you that i am going to buy Oceans 13 and Rush Hour 3 so i could finish those series and you called those movies mediocre but you own Rush Hour 1 and 2.

So do you pay money for movies that you think are mediocre?
If you paid as much attention to my post as you seem to have done to my DVD collection you'd see that I referred to Oceans 13 and Rush Hour 3 as mediocre. I said nothing about Rush Hour 1 and 2. It seems to me your confusion is based on a belief that Rush Hour 1-3 are some kind of inseparable trilogy and if one likes and owns 1 or 1-2, one must own all three for completeness sake. I suppose, in large part, it’s consumers like you that we have to thank for the endless parade of sequels: why deal with any new cinematic experiences when one can have more of the same.

All that said, I'll now agree with you that I consider Rush Hour 1 and 2 mediocre too. They were a blind buy bundle in late 2001 or early 2002. I've also bought plenty of DVDs over the past seven years that weren't blind buys that I would now call mediocre and not buy now were I to have it to do over again, and beyond those blind buys and bad buys I've also picked up a few DVD lots for resale here and there and they're in my collection too though I'll never watch them (see e.g., all the sealed anime titles I’m trying to unload in my trade thread). You’ll find Rush Hour 1 & 2 and plenty of those other titles in my for trade thread should you be looking to add some cheap titles to your collection. If on the other hand you'd like to find some films in my collection which I like but which may provide some fodder for your amusement look through the folders divided by year in my collection.

Finally, I'll note again that my second post that you took such exception too that you decided to abandon this thread (but then came back anyway) was intended to question your decision to buy films you didn't much like just so you'd have a complete set. That idea still boggles my mind and you've never bothered to post a response so I put to you directly, why buy films you don't enjoy?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.