DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   DVDs: How many is too many? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/515542-dvds-how-many-too-many.html)

d2cheer 10-27-07 07:23 AM

I would say if you think you have too many then you do...

I am not even sure how many I have (more than 300 less than a 1,000 I used to keep track but really don't care anymore how many I have) but I rarely purchase anymore. Blockbuster's online program and in store exchange put a stop to pretty much all blind buy purchases. Eventually I will make the switch to HD so I feel any purchase made now is pretty is pretty much a waste.

Swarty 10-27-07 07:26 AM

How many is too many? I have 2700+. Still not enough. The only problem I have is storage. My house is only 950 sq ft. Most of my DVDs are in Rubbermaid media/photo boxes ( 70 something of them ) stacked up in the basement. Keep the rest in the family room. I am thinking of putting an addition on the house for a home theater and DVD library.

Later

Swarty

crs 10-27-07 07:31 AM

I agree with others saying there's no "too many". When I did an attempt at counting earlier this year, I was close to 3000. I don't know the exact number today, and I don't really care either. I don't keep track of the amount, what's the point? That's not why I collect DVDs. It's to have the movies I like readily available for watching and enjoying them.

JHBulls 10-27-07 07:57 AM

I have 252 (Dvd Aficionado is great) dvds.

I might stop movie dvds after i buy Ocean 13, Rush Hour 3 and the Simpsons movie (The first two to complete the series and the Simpsons because i have every season-set up til now).

I'll only concentrate on the tv show dvds that need to be completed (An end to the Simpsons would come in handy)

Yakuza Bengoshi 10-27-07 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by JHBulls
I might stop movie dvds after i buy Ocean 13, Rush Hour 3 and the Simpsons movie

I would stop buying movies after a run like that too.

JHBulls 10-27-07 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Yakuza Bengoshi
I would stop buying movies after a run like that too.

I did add that it was to complete those series and gave my reasons for the Simpsons, i never actually said that i enjoyed those movies.

Yakuza Bengoshi 10-27-07 08:33 AM

I did add that it was to complete those series and gave my reasons for the Simpsons, i never actually said that i enjoyed those movies.

It just gets better and better.

JHBulls 10-27-07 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Yakuza Bengoshi
It just gets better and better.

Do i actually deserve this? I came onto this thread, wrote something and now i am get BS for it. Is this your weekly cyber-fight? Well i hope i helped stimulate your mind.

So i dont help contribute to ruining this thread i'll let you talk to yourself.

creekdipper 10-27-07 08:43 AM

No number is too many so long as you leave a path to the kitchen & to the bathroom. Bedroom is optional.

calhoun07 10-27-07 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by septimus
So, how do you guys deal with managing the size of your collections? And what are your personal reasons for wanting to own so many DVDs?

In the early days of DVD, my collection exploded because it was a situation where you buy it or you don't watch it, because there really was no rental market for DVDs at the time. As a result, I bought a lot of stuff I probably could have rented and been quite satisfied, stuff I have to admit I probably won't revisit on a frequent basis.

As the rental market increased, so did my buying of DVDs decrease. The only aspect of my DVD purchasing that remains pretty healthy are TV shows on DVD, mainly because a lot of shows are not available for rental in most markets.

It's not that I want to own so many DVDs...I just want to watch those shows and movies.

Al Padrino 10-27-07 08:47 AM

When you find yourself having financial issues, a huge backlog of DVDs, or buying something simply because it's a good/great price.

I've got several hundred DVDs, but I realized even that was probably too many because my life doesn't really allow me to regularly watch them. I understand that one of the drawing points of owning DVDs is that they're there to watch at your leisure. Well, I've got some titles that are still unwatched after three years. That isn't right. It's why I only buy something I know I'll watch regularly (i.e. The Office). If it's a blind buy and I don't like it, I'll usually try and part with it.

I understand what many are saying when they justify why they have so many DVDs. I just don't know how many of them are valid. To each their own, though.

donniemac 10-27-07 09:11 AM

For me it what when I realized I was spending too much time figuring out what I wanted to watch instead of actually watching. My dvd watching time is more limited now than what it used to be so I suppose that's a big contributor to my situation. I had around 700 DVDs, whittled it down to under 50 - just my absolutely MUST HAVEs (defined as my favorite movies - not ultimate versions of classics, etc) - but now it's starting to grow again, slowly though.

mike2 10-27-07 10:01 AM

I'm around 500 and don't have a lot of time to watch them..thing is i don't think we'll ever stop buying dvds. Hollywood keeps putting them out and until they stop we'll just keep on buying. Of course they'll never stop...it's just hard to watch all your titles. There's only 24 hours in a day..if you plan on watching a season of 24 well there's a big devotion right there!

Yakuza Bengoshi 10-27-07 10:06 AM

Do i actually deserve this? I came onto this thread, wrote something and now i am get BS for it. Is this your weekly cyber-fight? Well i hope i helped stimulate your mind.

So i dont help contribute to ruining this thread i'll let you talk to yourself.

Good plan. If a couple mild posts intended to obliquely question the logic of buying DVDs of mediocre movies that you apparently don't even care for make you go all weak at the knees, better to say as little as possible.

So on to talking to myself:

Man #1: Do you know what the problem with you is?
Man #2: No, tell me.
Man #1: How would I know? I was hoping you knew.

My work here is done.

Matthew Ackerly 10-27-07 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
i own almost 900 dvds and i don't plan on ever stopping. by reading the bargain forum and using CH it's really not that expensive of a hobby. my only concern is storage.

Ditto.

rexinnih 10-27-07 10:38 AM

I've been thinning out for the past year. I'm down to about 300 and this is getting manageable. Just needed to look at stuff and ask myself "How many times do I plan on watching this?"

Knives 10-27-07 10:41 AM

So what you plan to do with your dvd's when it's get's in the thousands, and you have no time to watch everything? Are you going to just dump in the thrash can, or give it away. What happens to your dvd's when you not part of this world. :P

nateman 10-27-07 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Al_Tahoe
No, you only need to own seasons 1-7. Seasons 8 and 9 (w/o Larry David) were, at best, mediocre.

Mediocre? Ummm... Not as good, maybe, but mediocre? far, far from that.

I'd watch Season 8 over Season 1 anyday.

Knives 10-27-07 10:50 AM

Also, How do you stop collecting? How do you recover your money back? Most trade in shops give $1-$3 for your movies plus trading in online they deny you, and try to cheat you from getting full profit.

Using ebay or amazon requires risk, and buyers can easily rip you off with a simple chargeback on the credit card. Plus the amount of time to ship all those movies.

:O

Al Padrino 10-27-07 11:07 AM

What does recouping your funds have to do with your buying habits? It's long been a given that unless the disc becomes an OOP collectible, you aren't likely to get back what you paid in the event you try to resell it. If anything, I would think that knowledge would prevent you from buying mediocre or crappy titles.

And the risk element associated with places like Amazon and eBay is so far blown out of proportion. I'm a regular seller and have been hit with a chargeback one time. Even then, I was able to beat it by providing the delivery confirmation number.

Knives 10-27-07 11:11 AM

What drives me crazy is the people that are able to watch dvd's all day and get paid for it by writing stupid reviews like Don Houston, Todd Douglass Jr. and other dvdtalk reviewers like they are the ""experts" of watching animation, or film.

I don't think they have social lives either lol!

Matthew Ackerly 10-27-07 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Knives
So what you plan to do with your dvd's when it's get's in the thousands, and you have no time to watch everything? Are you going to just dump in the thrash can, or give it away. What happens to your dvd's when you not part of this world. :P

It's called collecting for a reason. I have close to a thousand and don't have time to watch everything but, so what? I love Film and owning them.

Christ, this is DVDTalk and members are critizing other members for having a too large of a collection. I don't get it. It's why we are members of this board, becuase we like collecting DVD's.

Knives 10-27-07 11:22 AM

It's the OP that mention this.

Maybe collecting too much stuff drives some people crazy. LOL!

The Monkees 10-27-07 11:24 AM

I have like 880 or so, been buying since 2000 as well.

nodeerforamonth 10-27-07 12:00 PM

I disagree with almost everyone here. I think there CAN be too much! "Too much" is when you have a backlog of 200 DVDs that you haven't watched and don't have the time to watch and will probably never get around to watching all of them.

I have "too much".