Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you still buy a movie on DVD you loved, but are sick of now?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 10-24-07, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

There are so many movies from the 1980's that I grew up with that I loved at one time, but watched them so many times on HBO or VHS, I am really sick of them now. Movies like RainMan, Stand By Me, Sixteen Candles, great classic movies, but I have seen them so many times, I don't know if I will ever sit down and watch them again.

Do any of you guys still buy a movie to complete your collection because it is a movie you once loved, or do you only buy movies that you know you will definitely watch again in the future.
Old 10-24-07, 08:06 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Depends... if I see it for cheap money, I'll likely buy it...
Old 10-24-07, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I only buy movies I'm going to watch again. The moment I know beyond doubt that I won't ever watch it again, I sell it. For instance, I sold the Simpsons season 1. I've watched every episode literally a dozen times (if not more) and have absolutely no need to revisit them. And frankly it isn't their best work anyway.
Old 10-24-07, 08:50 AM

I bought a couple of the teen comedies I grew up watching, Fast Times, John Hughes & the like. Never again. God awful dreck. Seventies were even worse. But just my opinion.
Old 10-24-07, 09:25 AM

Usually if its cheap Ill buy it, even if Im only gonna watch Short Cirucit, Little Monsters, The Wizard, Flight of the Navigator etc. once.
Old 10-24-07, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I used to do this but then I stopped when I realized I wasn't watching them.

For stuff I liked as a kid (Little Monsters, Bill n Ted, Short Circuit) I won't even bother. I know those movies are crapfests and I would rather remember them as being really cool.
Old 10-24-07, 10:16 AM

Red Dawn & Fast Times. Always buy 'em, never watch 'em.
Old 10-24-07, 10:46 AM

I'll agree on The Simpsons. Bought the first two seasons and never watch them. Someday I'm sure I will again but at least I kept myself from buying past the first two seasons.

And let the flaming begin...2001. I bought it yesterday even though I KNEW I shouldn't. SO BORING. I haven't seen it in years and now I know why. I know it's a "classic" and that's why I bought it I guess but my god it's so slow. I guess I'll put it on for background noise if I'm reading or something but blech. Nothing against Kubrick. I got The Shining as well and am thrilled with that. Love a lot of his other stuff. I guess I just don't get what's so special about that film. sigh
(ok and I just realized that doesn't really fall under the topic of a movie that I LOVED but I feel better having said it )

Last edited by celmendo; 10-24-07 at 11:13 AM.
Old 10-24-07, 11:10 AM
Banned

I have to say this. I was recently sitting down looking at my collection, I have to say probably 75% of what I own (been collecting since day one) I will not watch again, and I just keep on buying every single week. When will the madness ever end? It literally makes me ill when I think about how much I spend over the years and how much I would probably get for them if I decided to sell them. It's a no win situation for me.
Old 10-24-07, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by JLBkret
I have to say probably 75% of what I own (been collecting since day one) I will not watch again...
Aw man! Unbelievable.

My figure for what I've only watched once & probably won't watch again from my collection is around 5% (Would you believe one is Woo's Hardboiled? Heh. A blindbuy based on recommends that I didn't dig at all). But it's a relatively small collection, around 300, and I guess it helps if you don't have cable.
Old 10-24-07, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I only purchase movies that I know I will watch more than once. I used to have a very bad habit of buying whatever I used to like as well as a lot of "Blind-buys" of movies I thought I would like. In the long run I ended up with a huge collection of movies that I just don't watch, which is stupid.
Old 10-24-07, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

no.
Old 10-24-07, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A movie has to have replay value for me in order to justify a purchase, but while there are movies from the 70-80's that are very dated to me, I still purchase them because my daughter likes them.

My dvd collection will be continually evolving over the years to come as the kids grow up, which means more movies just for me.
Old 10-24-07, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I used to pick up anything I had fleeting interest in. Slowly I've sold them all off. I still have trouble, sometimes, thinking "I'm gonna watch that again," keeping something and not doing that while selling movies I eventually end up buying back. But I try to keep that in mind.

Related note, and perhaps more to the OT's point, I find that whenever I like a movie enough to download it and burn it to DVD while it's in theaters, it results in me having too much access to it and I end up over-watching it.
Old 10-24-07, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
Depends... if I see it for cheap money, I'll likely buy it...
Same here
Old 10-24-07, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by tofferman
A movie has to have replay value for me in order to justify a purchase, but while there are movies from the 70-80's that are very dated to me, I still purchase them because my daughter likes them.

My dvd collection will be continually evolving over the years to come as the kids grow up, which means more movies just for me.
I think that's the key point .. evolved, at least my case .. or digressed depending on one's perspective. Back in 99 when I started collecting it was all older catalog favorites. But as the years passed I noticed that I was no longer interested in them. At the time I thought they would have replay value but it just didn't work out that way. And I don't really care for novelty. So I stopped and moved into other areas of film that was more of interest.
Old 10-24-07, 06:32 PM

How can you be sick of Stand By Me??? (Sorry, it's my favorite flick.)

If you don't foresee yourself ever watching the DVD, what's the point of buying it? I wouldn't buy any movie knowing that I have zero intention of viewing it.
Old 10-24-07, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by mijorico
How can you be sick of Stand By Me??? (Sorry, it's my favorite flick.)

If you don't foresee yourself ever watching the DVD, what's the point of buying it? I wouldn't buy any movie knowing that I have zero intention of viewing it.

because its become a habit. it sounds silly and childish but so are alot of things. ive got this problem as well, tho i am in dvd rehab at the moment.

i see so many movies at the theatre because my brother works there so its free. usually everyweek i find atleast 1 new release i would consider buying. then before i know it my collection was huge and needed to be dusted off
Old 10-24-07, 09:13 PM

Almost all of the movies/dvds I buy are old movies that I watched as a kid. I rarely like that many new movies enough to buy them, except for tv shows. I enjoy having the ones i liked as a kid, 80s movies, etc..., and I don't get sick of watching them. Although, I'm 23 so I have not yet realized how out of touch these movies are, or i just don't care, i like them either way.
Old 10-24-07, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by uncle-frank
because its become a habit. it sounds silly and childish but so are alot of things. ive got this problem as well, tho i am in dvd rehab at the moment.

Yep, I go in and out of this mode. But if I find a DVD for 3$ of a movie I enjoyed at one point, I will probably buy it. That's why I have a huge stack of unwatched DVDs.
Old 10-24-07, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by uncle-frank
because its become a habit. it sounds silly and childish but so are alot of things.
I'm not saying I don't sometimes fall victim to that impulsion, as well. I'm guilty of buying movies that I've never watched. But at the time of purchase I did believe I would watch those films. Even if I'm buying a movie more for nostalgic purposes than quality of entertainment, it still has to be something I at least think I will watch.

If you're that addicted to collecting, why wouldn't you go with a blind buy rather than something you know you'll never watch? If you haven't seen it, then maybe you'll be interested enough at some point to pop it into your DVD player.
Old 10-25-07, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A big part of a decision for this is price...if the price is right then I will buy it because I might get an urge to watch it or a friend will want to see it and then it's nice to be able to pull it off of my shelf
Old 10-25-07, 02:19 AM

I only buy DVD's that I know I will defenitly watch again. If I don't like a certain movie anymore then I won't buy it or if I know I will never watch it but once then there is no use in wasting money for it just to watch it one time.
Old 10-25-07, 03:16 PM

Dude, that's all I buy. I mean I will buy a new movie if I enjoy it, but not just because its new. That's one of the things that is so funny about HD DVD, the real nerds are coming out of the woodwork buying movies that are TERRIBLE just because they are on HD DVD? Give me a break.

My collection started as a collection of just movies I enjoyed in the past, even if I don't watch them all that much anymore.

I always tell people the reason I collect. Because even if I might never watch that movie once, at least I have the option too.
Old 10-25-07, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Over seven years of buying DVDs I've learned that childhood nostalgia is a bad basis for making purchasing decisions. I've come to the conclusion that it's okay for me to not ever see as an adult films that I loved as a child. Viewing favorite films or television shows from my childhood is almost always a complete letdown in that the film or show rarely lives up to my memories. For example, I know I'd have a lot more fond memories for Star Wars if I'd never seen a Star Wars film again after 1983. I prefer to leave the films and shows of my youth as cherished memories rather than expose them to reexamination through reviewing them.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.