DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   QUESTION ( Sorry if wrong area ) what is the best way to sell your entire collection? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/515236-question-sorry-if-wrong-area-what-best-way-sell-your-entire-collection.html)

corysontag 10-23-07 10:44 PM

QUESTION ( Sorry if wrong area ) what is the best way to sell your entire collection?

what you say is the best way to sell your entire collection. Me and my wife are relocating to a new condo and have no room for the collection so I looked over it and after keeping about 100 favorites I will still need to move aprox. 1000 dvds and two boltz shelves for dvds ( each shelf holds 150 or 200 dvds ) what would you guys recomend.

if wrong place sorry, please move.

EdTheRipper 10-23-07 10:51 PM

It depends on how quickly you need to move them. If you need to clear them out fast, take the hit and turn them in at a store that gives cash for trade-ins. You probably won't get very much cash though as I believe most stores penalize you a certain percentage if you don't take store credit.
If you have time, there's always eBay, Amazon Marketplace, half.com or the Buy/Sell/Trade forum right here.

corysontag 10-23-07 10:55 PM

Thanks for the advice Ed, but do you think a store would be able to take the whole lot as it is alot and even at 4 dollars a dvd average it is 4 grand

EdTheRipper 10-23-07 11:00 PM

An average store wouldn't. Everytime I've tried selling dvds at Newbury Comics or FYE, I always wind up with some they won't buy because they can't move them afterwards.

Another possibility I thought of is maybe placing a classified ad in a local newspaper. If the weather's nice, throw a yard sale one weekend. You'd probably have better luck selling them that way than in one or two big lots.

corysontag 10-23-07 11:16 PM

Ed already thought of that live in Atlanta in a downtown area which is hard to have yard sale. thanks for the ideas maybe I can contact a few cd wharehouse or used cd and dvd stores with the list.

g 10-23-07 11:19 PM

If you dont sell them individually on half.com, amazon, or ebay you will lose a lot of money unless you have a lot of junk. You can also sell them to dvdplanet.com and at secondspin.com

tofferman 10-23-07 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by corysontag
Thanks for the advice Ed, but do you think a store would be able to take the whole lot as it is alot and even at 4 dollars a dvd average it is 4 grand

That is the easy way out, but many dvds will only net you $1-2. Rather than have a fire sale (no pun intended in light of the wildfires in CA), sell them in lots on Ebay. You would probably get more for them in lots, but of course there is the hassle of hosting an online auction, collecting payment, shipping, etc...

Do research the dvds in your collection that are collectible and have value, and sell them individually. If you have over 1000 dvds, chances are that you have some that have greater value than not.

Of course, you could buy some can-am cabinets that are stackable and attractive (wife factor). That way you are able to hold onto your sizable entertainment investment. Just my .02 cents...

Cardsfan111 10-23-07 11:45 PM

Usually whenever a thread like this pops up, there's a good natured DVD Talker ready to help take the collection off someone's hands!

A suggestion, but not one based on personal experience: I've seen several businesses pop up that will take things and sell them on ebay for you. Anyone recommend whether that's a good approach, or do they charge an unreasonable percentage?

corysontag 10-23-07 11:45 PM

toffer we are moving into a loft so possible large boltz shelf with maybe canvas overlay so you do not see them, I promised her I would not have a wall of dvds the place we have now is two storys so I hide the dvds in the spare room.

As far as having stuff of real value i only have stuff i like not many Criterions alot of tv and just regular movies

g 10-23-07 11:46 PM

Those ebay business can take up to 38 percent. Its a bad deal for such an easy to sell product. Selling on half.com is so easy. Dvdplanet would probably pay better. Dvdplanet may only pay store credit. Secondspin.com gives less in cash. There is no listing fee for half.com. They get paid only when it sells.

DigitalArtery 10-24-07 12:03 AM

Try putting it on Craigslist since putting an add on there is completely free and sometimes you can get better results than you would on ebay. I tried selling some old game systems on ebay and the only thing I got out of it was a listing fee, but managed to get them sold rather quickly on Craigslist.

tofferman 10-24-07 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by g
Those ebay business can take up to 38 percent. Its a bad deal for such an easy to sell product. Selling on half.com is so easy. Dvdplanet would probably pay better. Dvdplanet may only pay store credit. Secondspin.com gives less in cash. There is no listing fee for half.com.

Half.com is a good idea. Do check the dvdplanet website as well, but be forewarned...they changed their site recently and don't accept as many used dvds like they use to; especially if there has been a rerelease or improved version released (the Kubrick titles come to mind here).

At least through DVDPlanet, you would have credit that could go towards future dvd purchases for your significant other. :)

corysontag 10-24-07 12:21 AM

thank you for all the advice I am going to process it and figure out, i would love to keep them but I cannot have a huge plasma and a wall of dvds in my living room that you can see from the bed, not to mention another plasma in hanging from a pole in between the bed and living room area with more dvds, the wife would kill me, but maybe the new building has storage available as selling them seems like more then a hassle

bigheadrusty 10-24-07 08:10 PM

You have 1100 dvds, get 3 Sony 400 dvd mega changers, toss all of the cases and your set. The changers arent that big and theyre not that expensive. You can get them new from J&R for around 300 and One Call has refurbs for around $210 if you have a Sony outlet near you the refurbs are even cheaper.

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi 10-24-07 08:29 PM

or binders

Anubis2005X 10-24-07 09:07 PM

Or choose a different condo...

manveru 10-24-07 09:15 PM

I recently debated the same issue. I decided I didn't really want to part with my collection so I opted for the Vaultz Snap-N-Store CD Storage Boxes. I like the file system approach where each dvd can be removed and protected independently of another. Now if I could only take the last step and throw out the cases.... *sigh* until then they are in storage.

Mosskeeto 10-25-07 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by manveru
Now if I could only take the last step and throw out the cases.... *sigh* until then they are in storage.

Save the artwork and inserts. Throw out the cases and save storage costs; you could always buy replacements cases later if you have to and they're cheap enough (around $20/100 standard cases).

toddly6666 10-25-07 11:08 AM

CORYSONTAG, can you post the list of DVDs you have? If your collection that you have to sell represents the typical USA Region 1 DVDs that people find in a used DVD section or a trade forum, then there really is no point for a store or anyone to pay a normal amount of money for them because the majority of DVD buyers already have those DVDs. I'm assuming that the ones you are keeping are actually the DVDs that probably could sell well.

I would just keep them - get CD/DVD wallets that hold 100 a case. Keep the DVD cases in a basement or throw them away. You'll feel better keeping these DVDs (even if it means not ever watching them) instead of having to sell them for 25 cents each.

corysontag 10-25-07 01:15 PM

Thanks for all the advice everyone, first you are right the ones I would have sold are the typical ones every collector has so i would not have seen much money from them, I read all your advice and merged it toghter in the fight to keep my dvd collection. I purchased the sont mega 300 disc dvd changer, I also will keep the two boltz shelves and for the remainders I have tossed the cases saved all art work and inserts and filed them in Vaultz Snap-N-Store CD Storage Boxes. thank you very much the wife approves of this and I may even purchase another sont 300 disc unit for the bedroom area. The bolt shelves will nto be near the tv in the living/kitchen/dining/everything area so the wife says it wont look like a video store or cheap. again thank you all and now I continue to buy just a little more wisely.