Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

silent night deadly night (1984) - UNCUT - Dec. 11th 2007

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-07, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Eric Freeman rules in part 2 and is hilarious! The film really is a camp classic and not to be missed! It's definitely a misunderstood film in my opinion. And yes I hated the film the first time I saw it as well.

Since I had rented both films as a kid at the same time or a week apart. And either way,I was expecting a grim disturbing flick like the oriignal and went into it with that expectation. So all the cheesy non-scaryness of the material and 'bad' acting' and 'direction' and all the flashbacks annoyed the hell out of me.

But I gave the film another chance when the double feature dvd was released years ago. And knowing what to expect after reading various opinions on the film online. The film delivered comic gold! And thankfully it was all intentional,at least to the screenwriter. The director seems uptight and pissed off at the screenwriter and psychiatrist guy actor joking throughout on the commentary.

Now on the new part 1 dvd. I wonder if it really has a commentary,or just the audio interview and the press release/specs are miswritten? Also if a trailer is included,that is new as well. But otherwise it looks like there is no reason to get the dvd if you own the original,which was uncut.
Old 10-18-07, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Giles
apparently a lot of newspapers and theatres were appalled by the one sheet of the arm of Santa climbing down the chimney with an axe.
The tv commercials showing Santa stalking victims created most of the outcry amongst angry parents. The film was just starting its regional theatrical release via Tri-Star before the controversy started. Tri-Star backed down under pressure, pulled the film from release, and gave up the distribution rights. I think the New England states received the widest initial theatrical release before it got pulled, and that's where all the mad parents had rallied together. The film never even opened in Los Angeles. Had to rent the USA Home Video release a couple of years later to finally see it.

I also prefer PART 2! I know it's sad, but there's something so godawful and hilarious about Part 2 that makes it more entertaining. The non-stop clips from Part 1 is funny in its audacity, but the new footage is truly priceless. Part 1 is more of just an average low-budget killer Santa flick and actually kind of dull. It may be a 'better' film overall than Part 2, but it's not as fun.
Old 10-18-07, 04:27 PM

By the way, where's Parts 3, 4, and 5?

I've seen them all, but remember nothing about any of 'em, except that they were sequels in name only since they had nothing to do with the first two. Mickey Rooney played a toymaker in Part 5, I think.
Old 10-18-07, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The only thing I rememebr about part 3 is Bill Moseley was in it.
Old 10-18-07, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Matthew Ackerly
The only thing I rememebr about part 3 is Bill Moseley was in it.
Oh, now I remember that one. I do think it's actually connected to the first two films thematically. Moseley played an older version of the maniac in part 2, if I remember correctly. I think the film had its moments, although I am clueless as to what they may be at this point.

But parts 4 & 5 were definitely unrelated.
Old 10-18-07, 05:24 PM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
You know what, on the disc it says that the version is the most complete version out there. So I don't get it.

I want the uncut version of Sleepaway Camp!
Old 10-18-07, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by The Monkees
You know what, on the disc it says that the version is the most complete version out there. So I don't get it.

I want the uncut version of Sleepaway Camp!
I'm sure it is all just marketing hype since this is a stand alone release. The first dvd is uncut just like the unrated VHS. Nothing is missing,and I'm sure nothing is added to this new dvd.
Old 10-19-07, 03:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'll definitely be picking this one up.
Old 10-19-07, 05:58 AM

I saw this in the theatres when I was a kid. I was really into horror and thought it was awesome (I think I was 14 or so at the time). It played here in Virginia, but I actually saw it in Kentucky (I believe it was around Thanksgiving break?). Watching it now, it doesn't hold up so well. Still, it was a fun B movie overall. I'm curious to see if this new "UNCUT" release is any different than the 2 disc set that I already have.
--Rick
Old 10-19-07, 10:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for your thoughts & opinions Giles and lotsofdvds.

I’m definitely going to pick this up. I don’t mind really bad horror films & I have my fair share of them in my DVD collection. They make for a good time & provide some good ole’ comedy. When I pick this up, I’ll see if I can find pt.2 as well.

A lot of horror movies that have been critically panned (and there’s a lot of em’ in the horror genre) aren’t as bad as some people make them out to be. Actually, I can’t think of many horror films that have been critically praised when they originally came out in theatres. Even Psycho got mixed reviews when it was released theatrically.
Old 10-19-07, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by nateman241
Thanks for your thoughts & opinions Giles and lotsofdvds.

A lot of horror movies that have been critically panned (and there’s a lot of em’ in the horror genre) aren’t as bad as some people make them out to be. Actually, I can’t think of many horror films that have been critically praised when they originally came out in theatres. Even Psycho got mixed reviews when it was released theatrically.

I have good memories of going into this local ma&pop video store when i was growing up and seeing it along with a lot of horror movies in those boxes that were twice the size of the newer films. I think i picked it up everytime we went into the store(The Video Place as it was called), but being 10 I never was able to rent it. I think that was the film that made me obsessed with horror films. I would look every week to see if it was coming on Showtime or HBo so i could finally see it.
I didn't get to see it until it came on dvd in 2003, and I guess it was all the hype in having to wait close to 20 years to see, but although i did enjoy it, it was just another brick in the slasher wall.
sorry to go way off topic there.
Old 10-19-07, 09:34 PM

The perfect Christmas present!
Old 10-19-07, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Part 4 was ok, but part 5 was miserable and starred Mickey Rooney.
Old 10-20-07, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by paradicelost
I have good memories of going into this local ma&pop video store when i was growing up and seeing it along with a lot of horror movies in those boxes that were twice the size of the newer films. I think i picked it up everytime we went into the store(The Video Place as it was called), but being 10 I never was able to rent it. I think that was the film that made me obsessed with horror films. I would look every week to see if it was coming on Showtime or HBo so i could finally see it.
I didn't get to see it until it came on dvd in 2003, and I guess it was all the hype in having to wait close to 20 years to see, but although i did enjoy it, it was just another brick in the slasher wall.
sorry to go way off topic there.
Interesting story, yeah, the 80’s & going to those local video stores really bring back memories. I know they still have video stores that sell VHS’s in big cities; but in Nestor Falls (Ontario, Canada) they have a big Ma & Pa type video store & boy, it feels like you’ve been blasted back into the 80’s again.

Sorry for going off-topic.
Old 10-21-07, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

great to see this one back on the shelves, shame no same day release for part 2 though
Old 10-22-07, 04:34 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I absolutely loved that movie!
Old 12-14-07, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
Never did get the previous release for parts 1 & 2, so I picked up the new release today. But while going through the posts here, I gave out a "Hold up!" when I saw this:

Originally Posted by man*machine
Mickey Rooney played a toymaker in Part 5, I think.
Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
Part 4 was ok, but part 5 was miserable and starred Mickey Rooney.
I never saw any of the sequels, but while going through the comments in "SANTA STOCKING OUTRAGE", Mickey Rooney is credited as one of the attackers of the film.....And he still ended up participating in the franchise?
Old 12-14-07, 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
I never saw any of the sequels, but while going through the comments in "SANTA STOCKING OUTRAGE", Mickey Rooney is credited as one of the attackers of the film.....And he still ended up participating in the franchise?
Didn't you know? He was one of the greatest movie stars (slaps hands)... in the world!

Or else maybe perhaps they filmed it under one title and franchise-stamped it afterwords, like House 3...
Old 12-14-07, 11:01 AM

Did anybody ever go through to see if the version of this movie is any different then the one on the double disc? I only am buying this is the movie has different footage...
Old 12-14-07, 11:23 AM

It's been a while since I watched the part 1 +2 disc I have, so I'm not sure if there's any extra footage. There isn't any audio commentary, but an audo interview on the disc from the director. I watched the new version of part 1 yesterday and it's not bad for around $12. Wish they would release 3-5 on DVD.
Old 12-14-07, 11:30 AM

I looked at my old flipper disc of part 1+2 and part 1 is listed at 85 minutes and the new version is listed at 85 minutes and has the same special features. Not sure if there's any difference at all between them.
Old 12-14-07, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Knowing AB I'd say this is the exact same disc that was out before, only this time there's no SNDN 2 included.
Old 12-14-07, 03:01 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by LordStaxxus
Didn't you know? He was one of the greatest movie stars (slaps hands)... in the world!
Old 10-23-08, 03:37 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts
any more thoughts on this movie?

i was thinking of picking it up at BB for $4.99 this week...
Old 10-23-08, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by scott1598
any more thoughts on this movie?

i was thinking of picking it up at BB for $4.99 this week...
If you don't get it, you're NAUGHTY.

It's definitely worth $5 just for the scene with the grandpa. A true guilty pleasure, with some great unintentional comedy.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.