DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse hits DVD (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/514670-hearts-darkness-filmmakers-apocalypse-hits-dvd.html)

soonercineaste 10-17-07 12:26 PM

Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse hits DVD

Most exciting news in a while: Hearts of Darkness - A Filmmaker's Apocalypse is out on DVD Nov. 20 from Paramount (complete with Francis and Eleanor Coppola commentary). Wonder how long it'll take 'em to re-release the "Complete Dossier" set.

ThatGuamGuy 10-17-07 12:39 PM

Is it uncut?

tofferman 10-17-07 12:44 PM

This is wonderful news! Paramount finally came to their senses and realized there is a big demand for this documentary. :up:

Matthew Ackerly 10-17-07 12:50 PM

I thought there were rights issues with this and thats why it was never released.

animatedude 10-17-07 01:14 PM

wow! Paramount is going crazy this year....i hope they release a complete set with the movie.

Wannabe 10-17-07 01:31 PM

Fuckin A

Apone 10-17-07 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by ThatGuamGuy
Is it uncut?

Uncut take between sobered Martin Sheen and Coppola would be awesome!

kms_md 10-17-07 01:52 PM

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

great news.

Josh Z 10-17-07 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Matthew Ackerly
I thought there were rights issues with this and thats why it was never released.

It wasn't a rights issue. Copolla objected to the way he was portrayed in certain parts of the documentary, and Paramount withheld it from DVD at his request.

Hopefully the piece will not be edited to appease Copolla.

JiM T 10-17-07 02:07 PM

Copolla came around because he needed the cash to buy a new laptop.

naitram 10-17-07 02:17 PM

Huge news.

And with the inevitable Apocalypse Now HD version coming someday, this could make for the ultimate set, ala Blade Runner.

NoirFan 10-17-07 02:23 PM

Great stuff...never thought I'd see this one on DVD.

soonercineaste 10-17-07 02:26 PM

As to the film's "uncut" status, there's nothing in Paramount's press release to indicate that the doc will be altered in any way. (I can finally retire my worn-out VHS copy!)
Additionally, the disc, which will be FS and 2.0 stereo, is going to have a doc included titled "CODA: Thirty Years Later," which focuses on (and I quote): "[T]he making of Coppola’s first new feature film in 10 years. Eleanor Coppola once again goes behind the camera to document her husband’s work on Youth Without Youth and reveals an older Francis as he approaches 'guerilla filmmaking' in a youthful way, making a self-financed film outside of studio control." So there's that -- MSRP is $24.99.

dman988 10-17-07 02:47 PM

That's great! A new doc on a new Coppola film? Plus a person one on his best film?

Count me in. 20 bucks is nothing for something that good.

domino harvey 10-17-07 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by JiM T
Copolla came around because he needed the cash to buy a new laptop.

lol

Wannabe 10-17-07 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Copolla objected to the way he was portrayed in certain parts of the documentary, and Paramount withheld it from DVD at his request.

I've heard that said before - but I wonder if that's just a rumor for two reasons: 1) His wife directed the documentary and 2) It was already widely released on VHS.

jjcool 10-17-07 04:07 PM

Great, great news.

Drexl 10-17-07 04:10 PM

People hoping for a set with this and the movie may have to do it themselves. This movie played in theaters and stands alone as a feature documentary. I could be wrong, but I doubt they'll pack it in as a bonus with AN, unless as part of a much more expensive set.

animatedude 10-17-07 05:06 PM

"release the Hearts of Darkness on DVD and i'll give back your stolen script!" lol

Mr. Salty 10-17-07 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Wannabe
I've heard that said before - but I wonder if that's just a rumor for two reasons: 1) His wife directed the documentary and 2) It was already widely released on VHS.

It's not a rumor.

The director of "Hearts of Darkness" was George Hickenlooper, not Eleanor Coppola (Eleanor Coppola shot the onset footage during the making of "Apocalypse Now," which was used in the documentary). Hickenlooper appeared on Jon Favreau's "Dinner for Five" show on the Independent Film Channel and talked about the holdup. I don't remember now what the specific issue was, but Hickenlooper admitted he used a clip of Francis Ford Coppola that, in retrospect, was out of context and was inaccurate.

Hickenlooper said he would happily correct that part of "Darkness" because it was factually wrong, and he was in talks with Paramount and Coppola to do so in hopes of getting "Hearts of Darkness" re-released. This was in 2004.

animatedude 10-17-07 05:20 PM

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=66149

this is friggin' awsome!

still not sure if i should wait for the complete set...or..

kefrank 10-17-07 05:23 PM

this is very cool. i've never seen it, so i'm really looking forward to its release. i will probably rent it in hopeful anticipation of it possibly being included in a deluxe multi-disc HD DVD release of Apocalypse Now.

The Valeyard 10-17-07 05:42 PM

God! 2007 has been the year of DVD release treasures! This is a crown jewel!

Zen Peckinpah 10-17-07 05:56 PM

I want this BADLY, but is the Apocalypse Now HD DVD definitely coming sometime soon or is it just a rumor?

Josh Z 10-17-07 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by soonercineaste
As to the film's "uncut" status, there's nothing in Paramount's press release to indicate that the doc will be altered in any way. (I can finally retire my worn-out VHS copy!)

What would you expect the press release to say? "Coming Soon: Hearts of Darkness - A Filmmaker's Apocalypse (Censored Version)"