Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 3rd Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Part3

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 3rd Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Part3

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-07, 08:36 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
I want to toss the Japanese film Audition out there if you haven't seen it. It was very David Lynch like and by far one of the most disturbing endings I have ever seen. It stays with you! Brrr....
unfortunately it was the first Miike film I saw (in the theatre) and I wasn't prepared for the pacing.
Old 10-25-07, 08:42 AM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts
I want to toss the Japanese film Audition out there if you haven't seen it. It was very David Lynch like and by far one of the most disturbing endings I have ever seen. It stays with you! Brrr....
Disturbing is so right. Audition, for me is one of those films like Requiem for a Dream. I think it's very well done and very effective and... I'm not sure I ever want to see it again.
Old 10-25-07, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by MrTerrific
I watched the European version of Dawn of the Dead yesterday and was a little disappointed. It seems to cut parts of the movie and add a little bit more music from Goblin.
I completely agree. I don't like the fact that Argento put bits of the score over almost every single scene. It's hard to get used to when you've been watching the film with a specific score for all these years, and now most of the dialogue has it going on in the background.

For my money the original cut (Romero's preferred cut, btw) is the one to watch. It's tighter than the Cannes edit and the music flows the smoothest.
Old 10-25-07, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by KillerCannabis
I completely agree. I don't like the fact that Argento put bits of the score over almost every single scene. It's hard to get used to when you've been watching the film with a specific score for all these years, and now most of the dialogue has it going on in the background.

For my money the original cut (Romero's preferred cut, btw) is the one to watch. It's tighter than the Cannes edit and the music flows the smoothest.
but Argento even cut's the famous helicopter zombie scene - the cast commentary is funny, because they are anticipating it and then - poof! it aint there...
Old 10-25-07, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I think somebody started this last year but I will toss it out onto the table again to see who is up for one last insane romp of Horror on the 31st.

24 hours straight. You can only break for quick snacks and a trip to relieve your gallons of soda and coffee needed to keep you awake.

Who's with me?
Are you dating your movies based on EST, movie challenge time, or where you are? If you're doing it where you are and wanted someone to do it along side you, I can. East coast time I can't do.
Old 10-25-07, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts
Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
Are you dating your movies based on EST, movie challenge time, or where you are? If you're doing it where you are and wanted someone to do it along side you, I can. East coast time I can't do.
I'd be starting at midnight Tokyo time which is about 13 hours difference from New York and I think a little more for LA but am not sure. Either way, I'd be clocking in in Tokyo time for the marathon. Which reminds me, I need to find myself some popcorn that doesn't suck. Japanese popcorn, folks, is terrible!
Old 10-25-07, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'd be starting at midnight Tokyo time which is about 13 hours difference from New York and I think a little more for LA but am not sure. Either way, I'd be clocking in in Tokyo time for the marathon. Which reminds me, I need to find myself some popcorn that doesn't suck. Japanese popcorn, folks, is terrible!
I can do it with you if you want. It'd start at 8am the 30th for me and I can do that. If you wanted to get an IM thing going to for moral/stay awake support, I could do that.

You know, I lived there for 3 years and I don't think I ever had the popcorn. I like McDonalds a whole lot better. It may have changed but when I was there they had new sandwiches every month and points cards for stuff. I ended up getting a couple McDonalds clocks.
Old 10-25-07, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
I can do it with you if you want. It'd start at 8am the 30th for me and I can do that. If you wanted to get an IM thing going to for moral/stay awake support, I could do that.

You know, I lived there for 3 years and I don't think I ever had the popcorn. I like McDonalds a whole lot better. It may have changed but when I was there they had new sandwiches every month and points cards for stuff. I ended up getting a couple McDonalds clocks.
We could do DVDtalk PMs if you like or if we get enough people involved we can maybe do some kind of group chat. Suppose we'll play it by ear over the next few days. I think, to change things up, I will list things by time:

12:00-125: (Insert film)
130-300: etc.

Like 24, you see. :P

I am going to try to do themes from now until the 21st. Just did Carpenter. Starting Craven and next I think it will be B-movies. Any theme suggestions would be great.

Nearly over, folks!
Old 10-25-07, 11:54 AM

Nearly over, folks!

and I still need to pencil in my must see's:

Planet Terror
Kwaidan (all three hours)
Tombs of the Blind Dead series
Monster Squad
Alligator

Old 10-25-07, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's a general question:

If you guys start a film at 11pm and it ends at, say, 1230am what day to you count it for. The time it started, the time it ends or do you fluctuate?
Old 10-25-07, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you guys start a film at 11pm and it ends at, say, 1230am what day to you count it for. The time it started, the time it ends or do you fluctuate?
I go by ending time.
Old 10-25-07, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeffy Pop
*Still need to see TORSO*

Originally Posted by Giles
but Argento even cut's the famous helicopter zombie scene - the cast commentary is funny, because they are anticipating it and then - poof! it aint there...
Yeah, the actor's commentary should've been on the extended cut--which is still my favorite version. Only thing I don't like is the stock muzik that's used during the apartment raids & helicopter re-fueling sequence. It makes the movie appear more dated than it really is.

And sorry, gonna have to pass on that 24 marathon you guys are planning.
Old 10-25-07, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would count it as the day you started watching the film, but there are exceptions I make. If the majority of the film started before midnight, then that's how I would count it. So if you start a 90 min movie at 11pm and it ends at 12:30am it counts for the day before since you watched the majority of it from 11-12am. But different strokes for different folks I suppose.
Old 10-25-07, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 378 Likes on 236 Posts

I go by ending time as well. The way I look at it--I started the challenge at October 1st at 12:00 a.m. and will end it at 11:59 p.m. on October 31st. Come November 1st, I begin my personal Thanksgiving movie challenge...I'm not sure what'll it be yet, but I know it won't include any horror movies!
Old 10-25-07, 03:08 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts
I don't think it matters at all where you put a movie that you watch over the midnight hour, as long as you only count it once.

The only times that really matter are the October 1st beginning and October 31st ending midnights.

Personally, I put the movie on the 24 hour period that I finish watching it.
Old 10-25-07, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
I don't think we were ever strict about ending on time. Last year we even got a few bonus hours on the last day. I always count movies in the day I start them.
Old 10-25-07, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
Nearly forgot October 25 is the 14th anniversary of Vincent Price's death.
Old 10-25-07, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
Gonna check out TCM's zombie-fest tomorrow. A bunch of the selections are horror-comedies, but I wanna see them anyway.

There's also an hour-long documentary on Starz premiering tomorrow night, Bloodsucking Cinema.
Old 10-25-07, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
I think somebody started this last year but I will toss it out onto the table again to see who is up for one last insane romp of Horror on the 31st.

24 hours straight. You can only break for quick snacks and a trip to relieve your gallons of soda and coffee needed to keep you awake.

Who's with me?
That's INSANE! I'll definitely consider it ...no guarantees though.

I'm actually having a few friends (and one very annoying co-worker who's a friend of a friend) over this weekend to have a marathon comprised mostly of Carpenter, Cronenberg, and Bava flicks. Although, it'll probably be more of a mini-marathon as I seriously doubt those guys will last 12 hours...if that.
Old 10-25-07, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, welcome to the insanity if you do join on in Chad.

I'm going to practice a bit (although not the full 24 hours) starting tonight with my B movies.
Old 10-25-07, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Maher
I've actually gotten through most of the Universal Frankenstein films. I gotta say, I am enjoying them immensly. I figured that I'd find them kind of boring, but it has not been so. I'm up to Frankenstein Meets The Wolfman. I'll probably watch it tomorrow.
Man, I spoke too soon. Today I watched Frankenstein Meets The Wolfman (which I really liked, except for some continuity problems) and House of Frankenstein (which I didn't care for). It's like the same damn movie, but with some Dracula thrown in at the beginning. I thought all 3 "monsters" would have more interaction. I certinly hope House of Dracula is a little better and no so repetitive as HOF. I mean, they are all pretty similar: A Frankenstein beings the monster to life (with the assistance of a hunchback) despite warnings from others, then an angry mob attacks and the monster is "killed". But "House" seemed like they took the "Meets" script and merged it with a short story about Dracula that someone had written. Sorry if I gave away any spoilers there... but come on, these movies are almost 70 years old.
Old 10-25-07, 10:17 PM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Maher
I thought all 3 "monsters" would have more interaction. I certinly hope House of Dracula is a little better...
Well, keep your expectations low. Anyway, are there any of the monster mash-ups that are any good? I've been disappointed in them all; they definitely suffer in comparison to the other films in each series.
Old 10-25-07, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shack
Well, keep your expectations low. Anyway, are there any of the monster mash-ups that are any good? I've been disappointed in them all; they definitely suffer in comparison to the other films in each series.

The only Monster Mash Ups I liked were A&C Meet Frankenstein and Monster Squad
Old 10-25-07, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts
The only Monster Mash Ups I liked were A&C Meet Frankenstein and Monster Squad
I liked both of those as well. I actually am one of the few that didn't mind "Van Helsing".
Old 10-25-07, 10:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by caligulathegod
Nearly forgot October 25 is the 14th anniversary of Vincent Price's death.
Gah! And I already watched all my Vincent Price movies! I'll have to make a note of the date for next year.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.