Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 3rd Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Part3

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 3rd Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Part3

Old 10-20-07, 09:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hitchcock marathon, FTW!
Old 10-20-07, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by wlverinefactor
Just found out my theater is doing a double feature of halloween 4 and 5 on the 30th

And I don't think I can ever catch up. Back to work for the next 5 days :'(
Just a heads-up that you seem to have made a mistake in numbering your list. You ended the day yesterday at 139 and then started today's list with number 149. Looks like you should be at 143 right now.

Last edited by EdTheRipper; 10-20-07 at 10:18 PM.
Old 10-20-07, 11:26 PM

LOL Thanks I even had to re-edit it and didn't catch it. It's fixed now.

It was a long day at work and I also had to go to a going away party at some country western bar. But all is well now.

I'll be doing the Halloween double feature on the 30th and then the 31st I will be doing the Halloween Quad (1,2,h20, res.)

Someone saw I was reading a vampire book at lunch today and they asked me for some facts. Like does sitting in a tub of ice slow the transformation. It instantly hit me that they had seen The Forsaken recently and I need to rewatch that dvd, it's been years since i've seen it so thats on for tomorrows viewing pleasure.
Old 10-20-07, 11:40 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 684 Likes on 459 Posts
I'm doing a Psycho marathon right now, just finished part 2 (which wasn't as bad as I had feared).

I had to go out between the two films, so had to shower. I'll confess that I kept one eye open and had my counterattack plan in mind as I showered.

Now my roommate is out of town for a week, and I'm seriously considering putting a chair under the front door knob.

I'm such a wuss, how did horror become my favorite genre?
Old 10-20-07, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts
I've never seen any of the Master's of Horrors before. Just starting in on a weekend marathon. Any episodes that really stick out as amazing?
Old 10-20-07, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Trevor
I'm doing a Psycho marathon right now
I did one today too, just finished Psycho IV, which was the only one I'd never seen before. I enjoyed it, more than I thought I would, actually.

Rob
Old 10-21-07, 12:04 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
I've never seen any of the Master's of Horrors before. Just starting in on a weekend marathon. Any episodes that really stick out as amazing?
I've seen all except a couple from season two and I haven't been that impressed with any. I do think Sick Girl and Jenifer were decent fun, but most of the show is atrocious and forgettable. An hour seems like an eternity with some of the episodes.
Old 10-21-07, 01:39 AM

The only episode that I liked was Takashi Miike's Imprint and even then that isn't really an amazing episode but it is good. It just accomplished what no horror movie has done in a long time and that actually made want to look away, during a scene where they are torturing/punishing a prostitute. Just something about it when they were sticking needles underneath all of her fingernails...
Old 10-21-07, 10:42 AM

I hate Imprint. It has great images but I want to punch Billy Drago and the story gets more and more annoying as it goes on (and I wanted to shoot myself, it felt like 4 hours instead of just 1).
Old 10-21-07, 10:43 AM

Maybe not amazing, but definitely enjoyable.

Season 1

Fair-Haired Child
Jenifer

Season 2

Pro-Life
Right to Die
Old 10-21-07, 11:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by edwardnortonfan
I hate Imprint. It has great images but I want to punch Billy Drago and the story gets more and more annoying as it goes on (and I wanted to shoot myself, it felt like 4 hours instead of just 1).
I agree, I found the story and Drago's performance to be borderline miserable.
Old 10-21-07, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just finished watching Deadly Friend for the first time - was about as terrible as I had expected. Not sure what Wes Craven was thinking with this one. The robot sounds like a cross between Jabba the Hut and a Gremlin. The death by basketball scene, however, was spectacular.

"I wanted to bake you something, but I couldn't."
Old 10-21-07, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Just finished watching Deadly Friend for the first time - was about as terrible as I had expected. Not sure what Wes Craven was thinking with this one. The robot sounds like a cross between Jabba the Hut and a Gremlin. The death by basketball scene, however, was spectacular.

"I wanted to bake you something, but I couldn't."

I liked it a lot when I was a kid. I watched it earlier this week and it really didn't hold up well. At all.
Old 10-21-07, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I just finished a 3D double bill, Hunting Season and Camp Blood. Oh man, my eyes are burning now.
Old 10-21-07, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 822 Likes on 323 Posts
Finally hit #100 with "Scream of Fear"!

BTW, ignore the previous "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown" air date because the blog the info was obtained from included the wrong date. It actually airs:

Tuesday, October 30 @ 8/7c pm on ABC.

http://abc.go.com/specials/charliebr...atpumpkin.html

Old 10-21-07, 07:25 PM

So I'm watching the 8 Films to Die For since they are on sci-fi for their 13 days of Halloween or whatever and Jesus they suck. I previously saw Unrest but so far out of the 2 I've watched today I couldn't tell you which was worse. Wicked Little Things has the most cliche dialog and moments. "Is that you ****". "Stop messing around".

I don't think I'll bother with the other 4 (I believe Abandon was one as well, what are the others?)
Old 10-21-07, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So I'm watching the 8 Films to Die For since they are on sci-fi for their 13 days of Halloween or whatever and Jesus they suck. I previously saw Unrest but so far out of the 2 I've watched today I couldn't tell you which was worse. Wicked Little Things has the most cliche dialog and moments. "Is that you ****". "Stop messing around".

I don't think I'll bother with the other 4 (I believe Abandon was one as well, what are the others?)
The 8 Films to Die For are...
The Abandoned
Dark Ride
The Gravedancers
The Hamiltons
Penny Dreadful
Reincarnation
Unrest
Wicked Little Things
Old 10-21-07, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
The Abandoned
Dark Ride
The Gravedancers
The Hamiltons
Penny Dreadful
Reincarnation
Unrest
Wicked Little Things
Thanks. Haven't seen Dark Ride, Hamiltons, Penny Dreadful or Reincarnation. Are any of them worth my time?
Old 10-21-07, 08:01 PM

The Hamiltons is good but I had every turn of the plot pegged in the first 20 minutes so it was really boring for me. I liked Dark Ride and Penny Dreadful a lot but others seem to hate them, and Reincarnation is really good but again, it's one not a lot of people like.
Old 10-21-07, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm the same way as edwardnortonfan. I enjoyed The Hamiltons, Penny Dreadful and Dark Ride even though most people really seem to not like them. I still haven't seen Reincarnation.
Old 10-21-07, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i watched Hamiltons, dark ride, and grave dancers and i dunno maybe i was expecting too much and ended up hating them but when i found em for 5-7$ a piece i picked em up and on second watching i actually grew fond of all of them but then again im not that hard to please.

however today i took advantage of BB and CC sales on 5$ dvds and got 15 movies to watch the next couple of days and sci fi marathons im hoping to still hit my 100 mark
Old 10-21-07, 08:50 PM
Banned

Had the movies not been marketed as too extreme or intense for normal theatrical release, I might not have been as disappointed. I found all of them to be typical sub-part Lionsgate style horror movies, except for Reincarnation, which wasn't good, but not that bad.
Old 10-21-07, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 822 Likes on 323 Posts

Aside from the possible nudity (if any) and the inevitable commercial breaks, are they aired uncut and in their OAR?

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
The Abandoned
Dark Ride
The Gravedancers
The Hamiltons
Penny Dreadful
Reincarnation
Unrest
Wicked Little Things
There's actually 10 if you count the two "unofficial" ones that were shown as sneak previews during the festival:

Snoop Dogs Hood of Horror
The Tripper

http://www.horror.com/php/article-1437-1.html

Of those I've only seen "Penny Dreadful" and really enjoyed it.
Old 10-21-07, 10:39 PM

I've watched a lot of shit today. I hope I find better movies tomorrow.
Old 10-22-07, 05:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts
Ooh, one more and I beat my last year's total. Still on pace for 100 but 2 of my Wild Cards ended up being 3 hours each and the other 1:15, so no help there.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.