Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 3rd Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Part3

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 3rd Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Part3

Old 10-19-07, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love how the cover of Freakshow claimed it was already banned in like, 43 countries before it was even released. I loved "Freaks" and "Wolf Girl" though, So I think I'll like "Freakshow."
Old 10-19-07, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
I hear you there. I am spending a year teaching in Japan and was placed in this nowhere land village. All we got is a 7-11! So with now teaching hours I can pack in some flicks but you, sir, are hammering it home. It is nice to find one with even LESS of a social life then me. :P By the way, welcome to DVDtalk! Always nice to have newcomers to our fun house. I've been here for a few years. How'd you find us and our little horror contest?

Happy watching!
View
Wow and I thought I had a big move. How did you manage to get the job of going and teaching in Japan?

I was talking to old friend about only watching horror movies for the entire month and he then told me about DVDTalk (hadn't really heard of the site before ) and about the horror challenge and so here I am.

And thanks for the welcome.
Old 10-19-07, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts
Originally Posted by DigitalArtery
Wow and I thought I had a big move. How did you manage to get the job of going and teaching in Japan?

I was talking to old friend about only watching horror movies for the entire month and he then told me about DVDTalk (hadn't really heard of the site before ) and about the horror challenge and so here I am.

And thanks for the welcome.
A lot of online job hunting and resume sending got me here. It's been a good gig but it will be nice to get back to Canada in February.

Best of luck with the Horror Challenge. EdtheRipper is the one to beat. He's the current champ 'round these parts. Check out his amazing mountain of horror in last year's contest.
Old 10-19-07, 10:41 PM
Banned

Damn Friday nights. I was within reach of View, only to return home and be hopelessly behind again. How many of us are on pace for 200 or more?
Old 10-19-07, 11:32 PM

Just found out my theater is doing a double feature of halloween 4 and 5 on the 30th

And I don't think I can ever catch up. Back to work for the next 5 days :'(
Old 10-19-07, 11:45 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 684 Likes on 459 Posts
Originally Posted by wlverinefactor
Just found out my theater is doing a double feature of halloween 4 and 5 on the 30th

And I don't think I can ever catch up. Back to work for the next 5 days :'(
I was thinking about going to the one in my area, but I was going to try to do all the Halloweens on the 31st, in order of course, and I doubt if the theater's timing of 4 & 5 will allow me to view the others in time.

I might not even have all the Halloween DVDs yet, just how many are there anyway? Isn't it 1-6, then H2O, and any else?

Last edited by Trevor; 10-19-07 at 11:49 PM. Reason: two typos
Old 10-20-07, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 400 Likes on 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevor
I might not even have all the Halloween DVDs yet, just how many are there anyway? Isn't it 1-6, then H2O, and any else?
Halloween: Resurrection....Easy to forget with the superb Busta Rhymes in a starring role.
Old 10-20-07, 01:30 AM

A lot of online job hunting and resume sending got me here. It's been a good gig but it will be nice to get back to Canada in February.

Best of luck with the Horror Challenge. EdtheRipper is the one to beat. He's the current champ 'round these parts. Check out his amazing mountain of horror in last year's contest.
I understand how you feel, last year I spent a month (not even close to the amount of time you'll be in Japan but I understand the feeling) working in South Africa (nicest people in the world) and actually enjoyed myself but it wasn't home.

Yeah I've been checking out alot of peoples lists just for some ideas as to what might be worth snagging off of Netflix.
Old 10-20-07, 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by FusionX
15 movies per day would take dedication, but is possible. If you could run on four hours of upkeep (sleep, meals, errands) and keep run times to 80 minutes or less, you'd have it. On the bright side, perhaps now my fan club will move on, since there is someone with almost twice my count.
Seems to be a nice subtle way calling my count bullarky.

As I said before I have nothing going on in my life at the moment since I'm not currently working and have no social life squeezing in alot of movies in a day isn't hard at all. (especially when I have no cable and I've only had internet service since last week) As far as my personal "upkeep" is concerned, it really is nobodies business other than my own but if people really need my daily schedule I'll post it some time, but other than sleep (which I get very little of for various reasons) no personal chores of mine take up enough of my time to really interrupt movie watching.

Besides I don't understand how my movie watching rate is more questionable than that of a person who works, has a family and his families upkeep to take care of and still watch an average of 10 movies a day and still has enough time to get some sleep.

I really don't see people having too much of a problem with my count anyways since I'm not rubbing my movie count in peoples faces and I'm just here trying to find a way to have some more fun with watching horror movies for the entire month. Not to mention I just now joined up with only about a week and a half left in the challenge, so I don't think you'll need to worry about me steeling your fan club members.
Old 10-20-07, 02:46 AM
Banned

Nah, you read into it too much. I'm not like some folks on here, I wouldn't care or complain if someone claimed they were at 1,000 movies a week in. Hell, I have an old friend who has never even heard of DVDTalk, who had watched over 300 as of tonight. He is on my MySpace & Livejournal friends lists though, so I wouldn't want to tell him and have it look like I was mad someone had more than me, so I brought in a friend to run out my rivals.

Has anyone watched any/all of the Icons of Horror: Sam Katzman Collection? I've only watched The Werewolf and Zombies of Maro Tau, but both were pretty fun. I'm hoping to get to the other two tomorrow.
Old 10-20-07, 08:54 AM
TOTY Winner 2018 and Inane Thread Master

Received 1,018 Likes on 851 Posts
Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
I'd count it but not because it's grindhouse. Grindhouse movies include stuff like blaxploitation and that is hardly horror unless your watching Blacula, and even then...
i thought so too, but every site lists it under action and/or thriller.
anyone else considering DP as horror?
Old 10-20-07, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by scott1598
i thought so too, but every site lists it under action and/or thriller.
anyone else considering DP as horror?
I've seen Death Proof on some lists so some people are listing it as horror. Personally, I don't consider it a horror movie.
Old 10-20-07, 09:37 AM

I watched a great trilogy the other day.

Nosferatu, eine Symphonie des Grauens
Shadow of the Vampire
Dracula (1931, Spanish)

Pretty much the same story, adapting Stoker's novel, but three entirely different movies.
Old 10-20-07, 10:22 AM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts
Yeah, Shadow of the Vampire is a great, underrated movie. I usually double-feature it with Nosferatu for Halloween. I still haven't watched the Spanish Dracula but probably will before the end of the month (thanks for the reminder!).
Old 10-20-07, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I find the Spanish version to be a better film, personally. Not a blight against Legosi but the Spanish version was just shot better. Haven't seen it in a bit so thanks for the reminder. I'll fire that one up next.
Old 10-20-07, 10:56 AM

I find the Spanish version to be a better film, personally. Not a blight against Legosi but the Spanish version was just shot better. Haven't seen it in a bit so thanks for the reminder. I'll fire that one up next.
the eng and span would prolly make a good double bill.
Old 10-20-07, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Agreed...but I've already watched the English. Perchance next year.
Old 10-20-07, 01:04 PM

Hey Steelpotato, I saw that you watched Hellbent (yes, I'm a loser, I read people's lists). Did you like it?
Old 10-20-07, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm slightly behind. I just finished my 91st horror movie, and I'm taking a break to watch Transformers. I really wanted to hit 120, and I'm still going to try. I'm off the whole weekend, so I'm going to cram in as many as I can.
Old 10-20-07, 04:22 PM

Agreed...but I've already watched the English. Perchance next year.
i was kinda thinking it would be good for me since i haven't ever seen either version.
Old 10-20-07, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
That's a good idea for me to do next year and I can also watch Turkish Dracula and Indian Dracula.

Yesterday was brutal for me. I finished 12 by waking up at 4am and not going to sleep until 11pm.

House was as good now as when I was a kid.

House 2 was ok as when I was a kid.

House 4 was awful.

Boo is a standard direct to video template where a group of people go into and abandonded building and are killed one by one buy a ghost/killer/monster/demon until the end where they finally leave the building. In this case it was the ghost angle.

Haunted House was a movie about watching a group of people sit around and talk. Sometimes a couple would go into the house and we'd see a little bit of the inside before we went back to watching people talk outside.
Old 10-20-07, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If anyone is looking for suggestions, I recommend Infection http://imdb.com/title/tt0418778/

This has a real good pace unlike other japanese horror movies that seem to drag on until the last 5 minutes where everything suddenly happens.
Old 10-20-07, 08:49 PM

I"d tell everyone to go see "30 Days of Night" but quite a few people seem to hate it so I think I'll keep my love to myself.
Old 10-20-07, 08:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by edwardnortonfan
Hey Steelpotato, I saw that you watched Hellbent (yes, I'm a loser, I read people's lists). Did you like it?
Yeah actually I really enjoyed it. Was one of the better variations on the slasher genre I've seen in a while, expected i know what you did last summer/valentine level of quality (ie crap), but was pretty beautifully shot
Old 10-20-07, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by edwardnortonfan
I"d tell everyone to go see "30 Days of Night" but quite a few people seem to hate it so I think I'll keep my love to myself.
From the trailer, I expect to absolutely love it, but we'll see. I might go see it tomorrow.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.