Reload this Page >

Night Of The Living Dead 3D Dvd

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 10-16-07, 11:28 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did anyone notice the new Night Of The Living Dead 3D dvd that came out last week? The only store I could find this dvd was Target. Another interesting tidbit. On the back of the dvd case it states this movie is in the public domain and Romero had nothing to do with this release, does that mean anyone can make a Night Of The Living Dead movie? If so does anyone have 1 million bucks to invest in my Night Of The Living Dead movie I want to make? Thing of the money to be made!

Last edited by JLBkret; 10-16-07 at 11:31 AM.
Old 10-16-07, 11:31 AM

Yes, I'm pretty sure anyone can release Night of the Living Dead. He mentions it in a commentary somewhere that it was originally called Night of the Flesh Eaters, and he had a copyright for that, but then when they changed before release to NOTLD, they forgot to add a copyright to the new name.
Old 10-16-07, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The reason they made the remake in 1990 was so the original investors could make some profit on the movie for once.
Old 10-16-07, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Lastdaysofrain
The reason they made the remake in 1990 was so the original investors could make some profit on the movie for once.
Romero also mentioned at a discussion panel i attended that was the reason he was ok with the dreadful 30th anniversary DVD with new scenes and score.
Old 10-16-07, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by JLBkret
Did anyone notice the new Night Of The Living Dead 3D dvd that came out last week?
I bought it but haven't watched much of it. It seemed like they added some stuff to it.
Old 10-16-07, 01:39 PM

I bought it at Target a few days ago but the 3D Glasses were missing. I exchanged it for 3 different copies at the store and none had the glasses included. I'm not sure if it's a store-wide issue with the copies they received, but as a heads-up you might want to check your copy before leaving the store.

I plan to re-buy it at another store. I've heard bad things about it, but it seems most are related to the naming (calling it "Night of the living dead") opposed to being a bad movie.
Old 10-16-07, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The red/blue anaglyph version included on the DVD is OK, but the flick looked *far* better in the digitally projected polarized (clear glasses) 3-D version that was shown at last year's World 3D Film Expo II.

Anaglyph just can't compare and it's hard to watch it for more than a few minutes at a time. The 35mm anaglyph version released to theatres was awful, but the polarized version had pretty good depth and looked great. Too bad more people can't see it that way!
Old 10-16-07, 02:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Romero also mentioned at a discussion panel i attended that was the reason he was ok with the dreadful 30th anniversary DVD with new scenes and score.
That's because those people are his friends. I've read the quote somewhere where it's more like "They are my friends, I'm not going to discuss this" or something similar....
Old 10-16-07, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
I just found it today at CC, but did not buy it since I didn't want to spend $20 that I didn't really have.
Old 10-16-07, 06:55 PM

It's a terrible movie, which breaks my heart as it has the great, great Sid Haig in it...in 3-D!...and it's still awful.

As far as the original NOTLD being public domain, I thought I'd read or seen something that it actually ISN'T. It's such a common misconception, however, that there's floods of people trying to make a buck by putting out a version. Maybe I'm wrong?
Old 10-16-07, 07:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's such a common misconception, however, that there's floods of people trying to make a buck by putting out a version. Maybe I'm wrong?
It's not a misconception and is mentioned in pretty much every interview that George Romero did on the movie...
Old 10-16-07, 10:39 PM
Mao

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts
SPIDERone,

My Target copies were missing the glasses, too!

I have many pairs left over from other titles, so no worries.....I agree with Steve Phillips, the image was barely passable in terms of depth...there are much better anaglyph titles on the market....I was hoping for something better!

Imagine your average Joe breaking open the seal on Halloween night and finding no glasses to watch it with!
Old 10-16-07, 11:45 PM

On the back of the dvd case it states this movie is in the public domain and Romero had nothing to do with this release, does that mean anyone can make a Night Of The Living Dead movie?
Yes, it's public domain. That's also why there was that horrible 30th Anniversary Edition with newly shot scenes and new music.
Old 10-17-07, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm confused - is this the same old NOTLD movie that is now in 3D or is this just a new movie with the same name? If it's the old movie what new scenes are in it?
Old 10-17-07, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Kerborus
I'm confused - is this the same old NOTLD movie that is now in 3D or is this just a new movie with the same name? If it's the old movie what new scenes are in it?
It is a new movie.
Old 10-17-07, 09:14 AM
Banned

Hey, anything with Sid Haig in it can't be all that bad! I bought it even after all the horrible reviews, zombie movies rock!
Old 10-17-07, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's new. I saw it at WM for about $19.95. No way I'd pay that much based on the reviews I've read.