DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   The Coen Brothers Movie Collection --> 11/06/07 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/514375-coen-brothers-movie-collection-11-06-07-a.html)

tylergfoster 10-13-07 11:48 AM

The Coen Brothers Movie Collection --> 11/06/07

Looks like Universal has lost the rights to Blood Simple...curious.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y37...1119c/coen.jpg

Here's to hoping that Fox decided to remaster Raising Arizona into anamorphic...but I doubt it.

Clearly out to score a buck or two off the release of the spectacular-looking No Country For Old Men which comes out on the 9th.

MikeShaynePI 10-13-07 12:57 PM

Fuck them for putting out Raising Arizona again without a Special Edition.

TomOpus 10-13-07 02:24 PM

Probably just repackaging of the same discs.

PopcornTreeCt 10-13-07 06:29 PM

Blood Simple has been out of print for awhile. At least now it can be picked it up.

tylergfoster 10-13-07 09:59 PM

I'll buy it cause I'll buy anything a) that is Coen and b) that shrinks the size of my collection in any way. Certainly this will be either thinkpaks or a digipak thing...

kintnerboy 10-13-07 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
Clearly out to score a buck or two off the release of the spectacular-looking No Country For Old Men which comes out on the 9th.

I saw No Country last weekend at the NYFF.... if you liked the 3rd act of Blood Simple, you are going to love this.

MTRodaba2468 10-14-07 01:17 AM

Knowing Fox, I'm sure Raising Arizona won't be anamorphic. And yet, I'll probably get this to get (mainly) Blood Simple and Barton Fink.

dvd_luver 10-14-07 02:32 AM

If Raising Arizona is Anamorphic WS, SOLD! If not, f you Fox.

cupcake jesus 10-14-07 08:47 AM

Any idea if Blood Simple will be rereleased as a single disc? I already own Fargo and Miller's Crossing, and Barton Fink and Raising Arizona do nothing for me.

cheers,

-the Jesus

Sparrow 10-14-07 09:30 AM

I only own Fargo from this set and I'm a huge fan of Joel & Ethan Coen movies. I hope that these are remastered, but suspect that none will be. I will plan to buy the set anyway....

tylergfoster 10-14-07 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by cupcake jesus
Any idea if Blood Simple will be rereleased as a single disc? I already own Fargo and Miller's Crossing, and Barton Fink and Raising Arizona do nothing for me.

cheers,

-the Jesus

While I would presume so, I would just get the Universal disc used from Amazon...I imagine the "used" listings will generally be factory sealed and I am suspicious of whether the extras will be ported over.

mikelowry 10-14-07 10:43 PM

Interesting but an anamorphic Raising Arizona would hit the spot.

CKMorpheus 10-15-07 12:50 AM

Would love for these to be remastered.... I'm debating what to do, as I already have Fargo and Blood Simple.

Giggles 10-15-07 02:43 AM

They won't extort any money from me! No more!

tylergfoster 11-04-07 10:45 PM

I went in the back and found the set at my Best Buy today on my break. It's thinpaks, it does appear to be the existing releases, and like every Fox release I can't be 100% positive because it doesn't tell you whether the releases are anamorphic. But I wouldn't hold my breath.

The new Blood Simple cover is weird. It's aqua blue and it's a set of lips horizontally at the bottom with smoke coming out up through the title, which also notes it as the Director's Cut.

tylergfoster 11-14-07 07:47 PM

Discs are identical except for Blood Simple which has no features (and no intro).

Ironically in the worst way, as everyone knows Fox fails to identify their releases as anamorphic or non anamorphic, just listing the ratio on the back. Well, the first release in some time with a notation for such enhancement is Raising Arizona, which INCORRECTLY notes the film as being 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen. The worst part about all this is that Arizona, like all the films in the set, have a brand new cover, because these are thinpaks -- the artwork is the same but it has still been newly modified, and Arizona is THE ONLY title in the set to note anamorphic enhancement, which is terrible because of course it ISN'T anamorphic and all the other films ARE.

In conclusion, fuck you Fox.

tonyro19 11-14-07 07:53 PM

definately picking it up because

a) i only own Fargo out of the whole set
b) i hate hate hated the Blood Simple "special features"

MTRodaba2468 11-15-07 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
Discs are identical except for Blood Simple which has no features (and no intro).

Ironically in the worst way, as everyone knows Fox fails to identify their releases as anamorphic or non anamorphic, just listing the ratio on the back. Well, the first release in some time with a notation for such enhancement is Raising Arizona, which INCORRECTLY notes the film as being 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen. The worst part about all this is that Arizona, like all the films in the set, have a brand new cover, because these are thinpaks -- the artwork is the same but it has still been newly modified, and Arizona is THE ONLY title in the set to note anamorphic enhancement, which is terrible because of course it ISN'T anamorphic and all the other films ARE.

In conclusion, fuck you Fox.

Well fuck it. I'll just go get a copy of the Universal Blood Simple on the Amazon Marketplace. I'm not double dipping for yet another non-anamorphic Raising Arizona.