DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Planet Earth & The Blue Planet Seas of Life (Special Collector's Edition) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/514289-planet-earth-blue-planet-seas-life-special-collectors-edition.html)

ziondog 10-12-07 11:03 AM

Planet Earth & The Blue Planet Seas of Life (Special Collector's Edition)

Any info on this one?

Will Planet Earth be different from the individual release? Any changes? Upgrades in Video Quality?

How is Blue Planet? Recommended?

Thanks.

cardaway 10-12-07 11:43 AM

I read on a different thread that the (Special Collector's Edition of the two is simply a new box around the original Planet Earth set and the new version of The Blue Planet.

What that thread didn't have was a breakdown of what is different on the new 5 disc Blue Planet release. Anybody know?

kingtopher 10-12-07 01:15 PM

There's also a Borders-exclusive set:

http://f.chtah.com/i/9/276579820/sl_..._bottom_03.jpg

Rammsteinfan 10-12-07 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by cardaway
I read on a different thread that the (Special Collector's Edition of the two is simply a new box around the original Planet Earth set and the new version of The Blue Planet.

What that thread didn't have was a breakdown of what is different on the new 5 disc Blue Planet release. Anybody know?

The new combo box is just the two release in a cardboard box. I wanted to get this set at BB the first week but they never got it untilt he following week. I just got the Blue Planet SE set and the only difference is the box and a new 5th disc with like 4 new short docus. I havent watched it all yet but Blue Planet is awesome. If you liked Planet Earth, you will mostly like dig Blue Planet.

Disc 5
Amazon Abyss
Dive to Shark Volcano
Between the Tides
Antarctica

ElementZ 10-12-07 01:19 PM

I think I watched all of Planet Earth on tv. Never seen Blue Planet. Almost bought them the other day but thought I would wait until Jan when I go HD.

Edit: Wow 17 disc set. How much is that? Is it available online?

Rammsteinfan 10-12-07 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by ElementZ
I think I watched all of Planet Earth on tv. Never seen Blue Planet. Almost bought them the other day but thought I would wait until Jan when I go HD.

Edit: Wow 17 disc set. How much is that? Is it available online?

BBC Natural History Collection - Borders Exclusive

Bibliographic Data: DVD Boxed Set

List Price: $229.99
Borders Price: $183.99 (save 20%)
In-store prices may vary. See your local store for the most up-to-date pricing.

Appears to be instore only.

Mosskeeto 10-12-07 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Rammsteinfan
BBC Natural History Collection - Borders Exclusive
List Price: $229.99
Borders Price: $183.99 (save 20%)
In-store prices may vary. See your local store for the most up-to-date pricing.
Appears to be instore only.

There's a 30% off (retail list) coupon for any single in-store purchase that Borders e-mailed to Rewards members yesterday. So you could save even more if using that offer.
30% off coupon

Superdaddy 10-12-07 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Rammsteinfan
The new combo box is just the two release in a cardboard box. I wanted to get this set at BB the first week but they never got it untilt he following week. I just got the Blue Planet SE set and the only difference is the box and a new 5th disc with like 4 new short docus. I havent watched it all yet but Blue Planet is awesome. If you liked Planet Earth, you will mostly like dig Blue Planet.

Disc 5
Amazon Abyss
Dive to Shark Volcano
Between the Tides
Antarctica

If I had to make a list right now of the ten best DVDs I own (out of hundreds), Blue Planet would be on that list. It is staggeringly good, with some of the best cinematography I've ever seen for something not intended for theatrical release.

The other BBC docus mentioned in this thread are also wonderful, and I can recommend them. The Life of Birds has frequently been criticized for a lacking video transfer though.

Seriously...anyone who hasn't seen Blue Planet is in for a treat. Purchase it without hesitation!

mzupeman2 10-13-07 09:12 AM

The question still here is, if the blue planet set just released is digitally remastered or not.

Rammsteinfan 10-13-07 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by mzupeman2
The question still here is, if the blue planet set just released is digitally remastered or not.

I had the old set a while ago before buying this new one and the video quality seems maybe a little better but not 100% sure. The quality on the new set is very nice and dont see any problems yet. I have only watched disc 5 and 1 so far. The new set was selling for $36.99 so it was worth the upgrade to me. As for Disc 5, its not bad. Its a little out of place since its narrated and or hosted by different people for each of the 4 docs.

I would suggest if you dont already own it, get the 5 disc set while its on sale since its the same price if not cheaper than the older set.

mzupeman2 10-13-07 07:52 PM

I do own it already, and the quality on the old set for its age surprisingly wasn't bad at all. It was actually quite good. If you can't really tell much of a difference, then I think I'll pass on the upgrade. Was it this set though that included extra episodes or Planet Earth? I may have to upgrade if there's more episodes. Reading above it was unclear to me which had extras not previously released but... I'm at work too so take it easy on me :)

starman9000 10-16-07 07:11 AM

Finally got this set and am loving it, especially Blue Planet.

How do people feel Planet Earth compares to the older sets like Life of Mammals and Birds? I'm tempted to pick up the older ones now too, but they aren't exactly cheap. I wish they would do a set like the one above but just with the olders sets like Mammals, Birds, Undergrowth and Freezer.

ziondog 10-17-07 08:10 PM

If someone could pick up the Borders Exclusive for this poor Canadian, he would really appreciate it!

orion1998_1 10-18-07 06:46 AM

i can do that no problem, sent a pm reply