Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like The 3rd Annual Holiday Movie Challenge(11/19-12/25)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like The 3rd Annual Holiday Movie Challenge(11/19-12/25)

Old 12-04-07, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevor
Thanks. I think I'll delete the "Criterion" line from the checklist. If there are not more than 10 or so holiday themed Criterions, it wouldn't be fair to have such an exclusive item on the list. And so far, I don't see even one obvious qualifier in their catalog.
By this logic, wouldn't some of your other checklist itmes be in this same category? Emmy winners and 1890 films come to mind. There can't be 10 or more in each of those two categories.

That said, I am thinking about upgrading my checklist to the more comprehensive one you have.
Old 12-04-07, 08:13 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 662 Likes on 444 Posts
Originally Posted by Numes
By this logic, wouldn't some of your other checklist itmes be in this same category? Emmy winners and 1890 films come to mind. There can't be 10 or more in each of those two categories.

That said, I am thinking about upgrading my checklist to the more comprehensive one you have.
You're right to some degree, as there are not a lot of those two categories (and possibly some others, I haven't really worked on the checklist yet).

But Emmy winners and the early decades of film history are actually pretty easy to complete. Films from those years are extremely short, and most are on youtube or other video sites. You can fulfill the first four decades in maybe an hour, even if you have to start from scratch (I'd just use my links and finish in 8 minutes if I were someone else). And Emmy winners are easy for most of us because all the main Charlie Brown specials won at least one, and most of us watch them. Other winners found in a very quick search include The Christmas Box (for costuming) and the Pinky and the Brain Christmas Special (for animated). That was just a 30 second search, I imagine more thorough searching will find many more.

But with Criterion a quick search finds nothing to fit. I have a feeling that it won't be an easy requirement to fulfill even if a search finds a couple, as many Criterions are hard to find. But hopefully I'm wrong and somebody finds a couple, and I'll make an effort to rent/buy/watch one.

Last edited by Trevor; 12-04-07 at 08:27 AM.
Old 12-04-07, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by whitetigeress
If you want me to take it off my list..I will.

But, it was on this dvd.

I hate to be a dick, but if that particular episode does not fall into the rules stated on the first post then it DOES NOT COUNT. I don't remember that episode being holiday oriented at all, I don't know why it would be on that set.
Old 12-04-07, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whatever. It is on a christmas dvd. I will take it off

sigh

Old 12-04-07, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by whitetigeress
Whatever. It is on a christmas dvd. I will take it off

sigh

I'm sorry, I really don't know why it's on there. But I can't let eveyone bend the rules like this... God I feel like such a jerk...

On another note, I am wayyyy ahead of where I was last year. On December 4th of last year I was only barely hitting 20, I didn't hit 36 until December 12th, so I'm nicely ahead of myself from last year.
Old 12-04-07, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by The Monkees
I hate to be a dick, but if that particular episode does not fall into the rules stated on the first post then it DOES NOT COUNT. I don't remember that episode being holiday oriented at all, I don't know why it would be on that set.
I don't think it's a dick move at all. The point of this challenge isn't just quantity, it's also quality. The purpose is to view items that have holiday significance. If you are in it just to say you watched X titles, then you are in it for the wrong reason (whitetigress - I am NOT saying that you are in it for that reason, I am sure you are not)

I would imagine that the brass who released this DVD didn't have enough episodes, or just were idiots.
Old 12-04-07, 09:01 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Is that the new South Park release? I netflixed that and I don't remember seeing it on there? I only have these from my list and I thought I watched them all
Nov. 27th
37. South Park- Mr. Hankey The Christmas Poo
38. South Park- Merry Christmas, Charlie Manson
39. South Park- Mr. Hankey's Christmas Classics
40. South Park- A Very Crappy Christmas

Nov. 28th
41. South Park- Red Sleigh Down
42. South Park- It's Christmas In Canada
43. South Park- Wonderland Critter Christmas
Old 12-05-07, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by HyperWeather
Is that the new South Park release? I netflixed that and I don't remember seeing it on there? I only have these from my list and I thought I watched them all
Nov. 27th
37. South Park- Mr. Hankey The Christmas Poo
38. South Park- Merry Christmas, Charlie Manson
39. South Park- Mr. Hankey's Christmas Classics
40. South Park- A Very Crappy Christmas

Nov. 28th
41. South Park- Red Sleigh Down
42. South Park- It's Christmas In Canada
43. South Park- Wonderland Critter Christmas
Yeah I was gonna say that. I saw it yesterday and it wasn't listed on the back. It's not a holiday episode, why would it be on there?
Old 12-05-07, 06:48 PM

Yeah I was gonna say that. I saw it yesterday and it wasn't listed on the back. It's not a holiday episode, why would it be on there?
I imagine they put it on there since it is close to Christmas related, since it deals with shopping fads and having to have the "hot toy".
Old 12-05-07, 07:42 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could also be because Pearl Harbour attack was in december too.

Later
Swarty
Old 12-06-07, 11:24 PM

A day and a half without any comments, so I had to bump this.

Numes, I'm not saying your quality over quantity comment was directed at me, but I'll sort of respond to it anyway, as I'm the only one who has posted obscene numbers so far.

I'm a lifelong collector, focused on DVDs the last few years. Like many collectors, I spend so much time obsessing over the act and processes of collecting that I don't fully enjoy the items I'm collecting (hoarding?). Starting with the October Horror Challenge, I vowed to change that about myself. I wanted to actually start enjoying my DVDs.

I watched more DVDs that month than I had in perhaps the past two years total (and still "lost" by almost 200). And Christmas films/shows have always been a passion of mine (It's a Wonderful Life was one of my first DVD purchases), so when this challenge started I knew I'd probably get to 100.

Well, my OCD has possessed me and I am devoting all of my free time, and some of my sleep time, to plowing thru tons of new content. And while I wish that it was all high quality, there is obviously a lot of crap (90% of everything is crap after all).

This year both challenges are an aberration for me. I will never again watch this many films in such a short period of time. I have just decided to sacrifice these weeks to watch as much of my Christmas stuff as possible (and build my Christmas collection thru burning my DVR items to DVDs). Next year, since I will have watched almost everything I have, I'll limit myself to two or three shows a day.

I'm not at all trying to "win" anything, I'm just trying to finally watch what I've been buying all these years. And to be honest, with multiple people watching 300+ full movies in the shorter horror challenge, I was sure that someone here would watch 700 shows during this challenge. I'd be watching the same amount of shows even if we weren't keeping count here. This is my year to break out of just buying and actually get into watching.

Of course, having it a group challenge makes it a lot more fun, and I am really enjoying the conversations and lists that we are having here. Hopefully I'm contributing to people's enjoyment here and not pissing anyone off by watching and posting so many shows compared to the norm.
Old 12-07-07, 01:41 AM

The crap is still being piled on me. My dad has injured his back badly, so that is causing me to not have any time. But, school is over next week. So hopefully I can hit 100 by the 25th.
Old 12-07-07, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A day and a half without any comments, so I had to bump this.

Numes, I'm not saying your quality over quantity comment was directed at me, but I'll sort of respond to it anyway, as I'm the only one who has posted obscene numbers so far.
Actually Trevor, quite the contrary. What I see you doing is expanding your horizons and going out and watching things that perhaps you would have never watched if this challenge hadn't arisen (Mary Kate and Ashley Christmas ). I know you have found some turds in there, but the gems would be worth it.

I should have chosen my words a little better. What I meant was that we shouldn't just be "going through the motions" of watching all of these titles for the sake of watching them. Yes, it's a challenge, but lets at least make sure there is some relevance of the title we are watching. The comment was really only initiated by the fact that whitetigress was disappointed that she(?) couldn't count Chinpoko Mon from South Park.

For me, I have never participated in any of the challenges before. When I saw my opportunitity to participate in this, it actually got me more excited for the holidays than I have been in a long time. Plus, it gives me a good excuse to really focus on my holiday DVDs and (like you) get to actually watching instead of buying. Too bad this past week has not been as productive as the first week or so.

Believe me, I'm with you 100%!
Old 12-07-07, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 291 Posts
Well I haven't watch as much this past week as I would have liked to, but I am finally starting to watch more christmas movies. After Rewatching the live action Grinch, its really only okay at best.
Old 12-07-07, 12:12 PM

Actually Trevor, quite the contrary.
Darn, that's what I figured. But it saddens me to wake up each morning and see nothing new in my favorite thread, so I was hoping for some good old-fashioned controversy.

You're right, it has been a lot of fun to "expand my horizons" and watch things I normally wouldn't. It has been great to discover that many sitcoms and old shows I never saw are quite well made. I have learned that I'm a softy and all those touching cable channel holiday melodrama movies are making me well up (and are often great films). I've learned of several series to avoid in the future and to make sure my possible future children never watch. I've been reacquainted with old stars in great cameos.

But I am slowing down, as the sheer bulk of what I'm watching (maybe 6-8 hours per day until recently), is filling my brain past capacity, to the point where I've re-watched things and only realized half-way thru that I already watched it a week ago.
Old 12-07-07, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I should hit 128 today, which is where I ended up last year. (And that was enough to win before Trevor, lol) But I still have 36 TV show episodes and half a dozen movies to watch before I run out of the stuff I have on DVD.

Rob
Old 12-07-07, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Darn, that's what I figured. But it saddens me to wake up each morning and see nothing new in my favorite thread, so I was hoping for some good old-fashioned controversy.
Ha ha. Maybe if there was a prize, like in the October challenge, we could have a little more controversy.

You're right, it has been a lot of fun to "expand my horizons" and watch things I normally wouldn't. It has been great to discover that many sitcoms and old shows I never saw are quite well made. I have learned that I'm a softy and all those touching cable channel holiday melodrama movies are making me well up (and are often great films). I've learned of several series to avoid in the future and to make sure my possible future children never watch. I've been reacquainted with old stars in great cameos.

But I am slowing down, as the sheer bulk of what I'm watching (maybe 6-8 hours per day until recently), is filling my brain past capacity, to the point where I've re-watched things and only realized half-way thru that I already watched it a week ago.
I think in your list part I, you said you watched "The State" and had never seen it before. Well, I know you weren't too impressed, but I would suggest the Stella Shorts. It is a comedy trio from 3 of the guys from The State. They even got their own short-lived comedy show of the same name on Comedy Central. Michael Ian Black is one of the funniest people, IMO. The shorts were shown as an addition to their live comedy show, and are pretty out there (i.e. NOT suitable for normal television).

You can find many of the shorts on YouTube. Just look at my list for the titles so you can find it quicker. Unfortunately, I doubt YouTube has any of the commentaries on.
Old 12-07-07, 07:05 PM

Numes (where'd that name come from anyway?), I love the commentary you put in your list, great job.

I'm liking the Stella Shorts so far, but you weren't kidding about them being not suitable for broadcast TV

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll be on the lookout for the DVD set someday.

And speaking of recommendations, I hope everyone here is watching Venture Brothers. Here is a clip of part of their Christmas special. http://youtube.com/watch?v=8T8rd2GU1fI
Old 12-08-07, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Numes (where'd that name come from anyway?), I love the commentary you put in your list, great job.
Last name = Newman. Normal nickname would be "Newms", but whoever first called me that in high school spelled it "Numes" and it stuck.

I'm liking the Stella Shorts so far, but you weren't kidding about them being not suitable for broadcast TV

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll be on the lookout for the DVD set someday.

And speaking of recommendations, I hope everyone here is watching Venture Brothers. Here is a clip of part of their Christmas special. http://youtube.com/watch?v=8T8rd2GU1fI
The Stella DVD was only on sale for a couple of months a few years ago from the Stella website (I bought it, obviously). I didn't even see one copy on ebay. I doubt it will ever be released mainstream, because some of the songs on there I doubt they will ever get/afford the rights to. A lot of cool cameos.

I'll check out the Venture Brothers. I think I had all of those episodes at one time, but never watched them.
Old 12-08-07, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have added a list of participants on the first post of the lists thread. I only put people who have have posted viewings on there. There were a few people who have posted nothing yet. Once you do, let me know and I'll add you to the list.
I just watched my first title. When you get a chance, please add me to the list. Thanks!
Old 12-08-07, 09:03 AM

The Stella DVD was only on sale for a couple of months a few years ago from the Stella website (I bought it, obviously). I didn't even see one copy on ebay. I doubt it will ever be released mainstream, because some of the songs on there I doubt they will ever get/afford the rights to. A lot of cool cameos.
Set a daily email search on ebay just in case one ever pops up.

I'll check out the Venture Brothers. I think I had all of those episodes at one time, but never watched them.
I really can't recommend The Venture Brothers enough. But then, I'm probably the perfect fan for it, as I was a Johnny Quest fan as a kid, and VB is sort of a modern, twisted, more adult version of JQ.

It took me 2-3 shows to really start to get into it, as, for animation, the characters and storyline are pretty complex and well developed to start, and there is perhaps not a perfect "easy" starting in point. But VB now ranks as my favorite current show, and perhaps an all-time favorite up there with Arrested Development, Homicide, The Dick Van Dyke Show, and Police Squad.
Old 12-08-07, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Jeffy Pop
I just watched my first title. When you get a chance, please add me to the list. Thanks!
Done and done!
Old 12-08-07, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A question on the checklist:

--- Watch a film and at least two sequels.

I'm not sure what this means. Do the sequels have to be holiday related? If not, what if the sequel is the holiday themed movie and you watch two other movies in the series (i.e. Christmas Vacation)? I can see this being easy for the October movie challenge, but very difficult for this challenge. Either way, I probably won't complete that one since I don't have any films for which 3 of the movies+sequels are all holiday related.

--- Watch one film from every decade, starting with the 1890's.

Films only?
Old 12-08-07, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only ones I can think of that qualify are Home Alone and Silent Night, Deadly Night. I don't have to worry about it, I'm not doing the checklist.

Rob
Old 12-09-07, 12:50 AM

Yeah, I agree, that sequel thing should probably be removed from the checklist.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.