Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Evil Dead: Ultimate Edition - Dec 18, 2007

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-07, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I was reading that the directors cut of Army of Darkness is actually just the international version and that the true director's cut is longer than that.

True?

edit: I guess it is and the best version is the Hong Kong one.

Last edited by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi; 10-10-07 at 10:37 AM.
Old 10-10-07, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's a great cover. Waiting on reviews before purchasing, though.
Old 10-10-07, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
I own 2 versions of this film and might as well make it the lucky 3 and buy this one too.

I'm not sure yet, but I'll probably pick it up.
Old 10-10-07, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
I was reading that the directors cut of Army of Darkness is actually just the international version and that the true director's cut is longer than that.

True?

edit: I guess it is and the best version is the Hong Kong one.
Don't believe everything you read on Wikipedia. The Original Director's Cut that's available on DVD is not the same cut as was released internationally. The most notable difference is in regards to when Henry the Red appears at the final battle.

Also, there isn't really one "International Cut," the film received different edits and endings in various markets overseas. Also, what was released theatrically in a country may differ from what was released on video there.

IMDB has a brief rundown:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106308/alternateversions

Note that the Original Director's Cut is just that: the cut that the director originally submitted to the studio, before the studio requested changes. Raimi took the opportunity of a re-edit to make some changes of his own. Thus, some changes made were for the worse, some for the better, as the commentary on the DC attests. There isn't a "true" director's cut of this film though, since Raimi has never had free reign to make his own edit of the film after the original one he submitted.

The R3 DVD is just the Original Director's Cut with a few seconds of dress-slashing added back in. It's not an "ultimate" version of the film, although it does contain the most footage so far of any version released on DVD.
Old 10-10-07, 11:50 PM

still never got this so I'll probably pick it up.
Old 10-11-07, 11:57 AM
Cool New Member

Just out of curiosity, how could anyone consider themselves a fan of this movie if they haven't bought at least one of the countless versions by now?
Old 10-11-07, 01:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just out of curiosity, how could anyone consider themselves a fan of this movie if they haven't bought at least one of the countless versions by now?
Maybe he's not a fan?

PS
I've just recently converted someone to the Evil Dead/Bruce Campbell. All it took is one showing of the original Evil Dead. The person then bought and watched the other two on their own during the next two days and is a huge fan of anything Bruce Campbell-related. My life is complete now
Old 10-11-07, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Don't show them The Man With the Screaming Brain or you'll undo all your hard work!
Old 10-11-07, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by izatright
Don't show them The Man With the Screaming Brain or you'll undo all your hard work!
Oh c'mon, it's not THAT bad!... Ok, yes it is... But I sort of liked it
Old 10-19-07, 11:04 AM

EVIL DEAD Ultimate Edition DVD check it out
Old 10-19-07, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by man*machine
This is practically an annual event. The government should get involved and designate a holiday every year for the DVD reissue's release date. It will be Evil Holi-dead day!
No kidding. If you've got the Elite disc of the first, pretty much any release of the second, and the R3 version of AOD, you're pretty much set. Are there enough Evil Dead release yet? I swear...
Old 12-19-07, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

ok so do i need to keep my elite dvd, or the book of the dead on this one
Old 12-19-07, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I never owned this before and got the new edition, which has fantastic packaging that I find far superior to the stinky book of the deads.
Old 12-19-07, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mikey horror
If I'm not mistaken, the original Elite release was the OAR version - 4:3 aspect ratio and it went OOP. However, DVDCompare refers to the following fact about the follow up Book and SE releases: "The 1.85:1 Anamorphic Aspect Ratio has been authorised by Director Sam Raimi but is a Re-Framed Version based on the OAR of 4:3."

So, 1) the original release could not be had for some of the film purists and 2) there's some question if the follow up releases are .... I don't know, acceptable?

Just wagering a guess, really. I haven't seen both versions to see whether or not any video information was lost (or gained) in the widescreen conversion process.

I'm sure there must be an expert on the matter that could chime in ... as I'd love to know what the ".. a Re-Framed Version based on the OAR of 4:3" really means ... in general and with respect to the Evil Dead releases.
Old 12-19-07, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I sold my Elite version, and probably will sell my smelly BOD too.
Old 12-19-07, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think this set is pretty damn good and will be the last purchase ever of the film for myself. The only thing that would make me consider repurchasing it,is if everything here + the original mono mix were included.

Otherwise, it contains the full uncut untampered with film(no deleting lighting striking tree for example,as in Elite print). The picture is not as excessively bright as past releases. The full frame unmatted image that looks framed better than excessively tight widescreen version. And the movie and special features are all closed captioned.

So all in all, this is a worthy release to have.
Old 12-20-07, 05:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by Cameron
ok so do i need to keep my elite dvd, or the book of the dead on this one
The only thing that's missing from the Elite is 'Behind The Scenes Footage & Outtakes' (18mins) although that footage might have been integrated into 'The Evil Dead: Treasures from the Cutting Room Floor'.
From the BOTD, it's missing Fanalysis and Talent Bios. Also, the BOTD has the above 'Behind The Scenes Footage & Outtakes' so I'd say keep the BOTD, mainly for Fanalysis, and get rid of the Elite.
Old 12-20-07, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I almost bought this on Tues, but why couldn't they give the full-frame version on disc 2 the same audio as the widescreen version. They give an improper ratio cut DTS, but the proper full-frame ratio gets 2.0? I know people like to have the original mixes, but I would have liked to have the option for a better audio track, especially considering that my Elite version has a 5.1 track.
Old 12-20-07, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ah, but AB needs reason to reissue this movie again...

Originally Posted by KillerCannabis
I almost bought this on Tues, but why couldn't they give the full-frame version on disc 2 the same audio as the widescreen version. They give an improper ratio cut DTS, but the proper full-frame ratio gets 2.0? I know people like to have the original mixes, but I would have liked to have the option for a better audio track, especially considering that my Elite version has a 5.1 track.
Old 12-20-07, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Where's the Blu-Ray?
Old 12-20-07, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Is this the absolute best release for this movie? I've seen this movie released dozens of times in the last 9 years.
Old 12-20-07, 09:11 PM
Cool New Member

I'm holding out until they release a version with Evil Dead: The Musical

Mike
Old 12-20-07, 09:33 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by DJariya
Is this the absolute best release for this movie? I've seen this movie released dozens of times in the last 9 years.
Yeah, pretty much.
Old 12-21-07, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by KillerCannabis
If you're gonna be a video purist, why can't you be an audio purist too? Especially when the original audio mix was frikkin' mono, the surround tracks hardly make a difference...

Originally Posted by Peep
Where's the Blu-Ray?
Considering how bad the film stock is, I don't really think Evil Dead is one of those movies to take any advantage of hi-def. Hell, you could even argue that it's supposed to look like crap, like Bad Taste or other amateur movies...
Old 12-21-07, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Takeshi357
If you're gonna be a video purist, why can't you be an audio purist too? Especially when the original audio mix was frikkin' mono, the surround tracks hardly make a difference...
True, but even if that were the case a DTS mix would beef up the sound considerably, regardless of where it's coming from. I know it's a front-loaded track, but, video purist or not, I want my dead sounding as loud and clear as possible.