Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Best way to transport DVD collection

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-07, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Best way to transport DVD collection

I am moving early next year and i am trying to weight up the best way to move my DVD collection. I was thinking of removing all the covers, inlays and discs from the movies in normal cases and placing them in some of the CD carry cases. I will probably need a few. And for the funny shaped boxes i will post them in boxes. Anyone have any better ideas?

Also is there any good CD/DVD carry case that will house a lot of DVD? (My collection has more than a 1000 discs).

Help and suggestions is appreciated.
Old 09-26-07, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm a guy who gets upset if I see a little tiny bit of the color worn off from the corner on a slipcover. When I moved last, I used banker boxes like these for my DVDs:

http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/st...plesZipCodeAdd

I forget what the exact configuration was, but there was an orientation where the standard amaray cases would fill a box snugly. Maybe I had to wedge a snapper in here or there to fill the gaps.

Between the snappers and the odd-sized boxes and sets, I just played around with stacking them until I was able to get the box tightly packed with no gaps. I had no problems. Had about 200 DVDs at the time and as I recall it took about 4-5 boxes.

As long as you can get the boxes tightly packed so there is no room for them to move around, and no space to crush, you should be fine.

If you're not the package whore that I am, or haven't the time or inclination to pack 20 or so boxes, you could get a couple of these, which I used for my CDs:

http://www.amazon.com/Case-Logic-Nyl...&s=electronics

And I found this thing which looks kinda interesting, although it might be overkill:

http://www.neato.com/CD-DVD-Storage/...r/default.aspx

Last edited by MrDs10e; 09-26-07 at 06:44 PM.
Old 09-26-07, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks....that case looks perfect. Looks nice at strudy as well.
Old 09-26-07, 08:32 PM
Cool New Member

You could always do what I do and use the boxes that Target (or whereever) uses to get their new dvds in. They are the right size, but small enough to stack them on top of each other. They usually fit around 30-40 dvds a box. And they're free, all you have to do is stop by late at night or call the store and see if they'll hold them for you.
Old 09-26-07, 09:39 PM

I would also suggest lining the moving boxes with some kind of plastic. The first time I moved we were carrying boxes out of the trucks and into the house when it started pouring down rain. Some water leaked into the truck and found its way to some of the boxes which held my DVDs. Luckily only a few of the covers were damaged and were easily replacable. The next time moved I lined the boxes with trash bags to keep that from happening again. Just thought I'd throw that out there. Good luck finding a way to pack all those DVDs

Last edited by undrwrldangel24; 09-27-07 at 02:46 PM.
Old 09-26-07, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Good thread. I'm also moving in early 2008 and we have 1000+ DVDs, almost 300 of them being box sets or collector's sets. The trash bag idea is awesome, and I will definitely be doing that!

Any more ideas/tips would be appreciated!
Old 09-26-07, 10:35 PM

You can try these:
http://www.bagsunlimited.com/cart/browse.asp?subcat=248
Old 09-26-07, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MLK78
You could always do what I do and use the boxes that Target (or whereever) uses to get their new dvds in. They are the right size, but small enough to stack them on top of each other. They usually fit around 30-40 dvds a box. And they're free, all you have to do is stop by late at night or call the store and see if they'll hold them for you.
That's a great idea. I may be moving soon and was wondering what I was going to do with all my DVDs and CDs. I never even thought about going to a place like that and asking for the empty boxes.
Old 09-26-07, 11:33 PM

Anyone have a good service for shipping the boxes once you have them all packed?

I sold off everything but my movies and books, but haven't found a method to get them from city to city for less than $5000 short of driving them myself.
Old 09-27-07, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Geist
Anyone have a good service for shipping the boxes once you have them all packed?

I sold off everything but my movies and books, but haven't found a method to get them from city to city for less than $5000 short of driving them myself.
Well i am going to be moving back across the Atlantic...so i am trying to find the most efficient and cost effective method. What i think i am going to do is first of all remove all the covers, inlays and discs from all the regular DVD cases. I going to bin the cases (as they can easily be replaced) and then buy one of the large containers that someone was nice enough to provide a link to. Any box sets of cases that simply cannot be replaced are going to be put in storage boxes from OfficeMax, wrapped very well in bin liners and maybe add some foam balls or something just to protect them a bit more. I am going to be moving around March time, so between now and then i am simply going to mail a couple of boxes each month. There will probably be about 8 boxes, so i will have enough time. Then with my discs i am going to take that with me when i fly. Hopefully there will not be any problems.
Old 09-27-07, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts
I was thinking about this earlier today, when I move, how would I transport the DVDs. The boxes seem to be a good idea.
Old 09-27-07, 07:52 AM

I recently moved and I have a collection of about 360 or so and I used the boxes that the reems of paper come in from the office. Collected about 8 of them and packed them in as well as i could and used paper to fill the gaps, the boxes have handles which is nice and most of all they were free! Luckily I only moved about 15 minutes away and I put them all in my car, but if your worried about damage line the boxes with trashbags and tie them at the top.
Old 09-27-07, 10:52 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
I hope I never have to move.

I just put up some ELFA shelving last night. Looks like I'll be able to put right around 1100 DVDs up. I'll have to pick and choose which to display and which to keep in binders or other areas.

Sorry, rambling, not really on topic or helpful, just proud of my pretty much first ever home improvement project.
Old 09-27-07, 11:04 AM

EvlAsh, thanks for the link. It's exactly the thing I was looking for.

I will be moving to Europe next year and I have hard time to part with my dvd collection (over 1000). I thought about selling everything and replacing, but that looks like an expensive venture. So I will do what James is planning to do - ship box sets and take discs with me when I fly. I just hope that my Babylon 5, X-files, Simpsons etc etc boxes will travel peacefully .

Off topic observation : Big DDD sale is coming but I am not sure if I skipp it this time or buy just a few things. Lately, I've noticed that whenever I want to buy a dvd, I think 'darn, one more thing I will have to pack' ...

Last edited by DeepBlue; 09-27-07 at 11:09 AM.
Old 09-27-07, 11:22 AM

When I moved apartments from DC to NYC in 2003 and then into my house last year (finally!) I used the Staples boxes that MrDs10e suggested. They worked great for my 700+ collection and none got damaged (granted I drove them in my car rather than sending them with the moving company). The ones that EvlAsh suggested look a little more suited for DVDs though.

If you're moving overseas or Xcountry, I would suggest packing them in the ones that EvlAsh suggested and then packing several of those boxes into another box with padding. Better to be safe than sorry.
Old 09-27-07, 01:25 PM

I moved from Illinois to Oregon 3 years ago. I had about 600 dvd's then. I just boxed them up in liquor boxes and taped them shut. I loaded them up in a "top of the car travel thingy" and they did fine. Drove through heat in Utah and rain once I got here to Oregon. None were damaged. Just remember...the tighter they are packed, the less they can move around.