Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

How I Met Your Mother - The Season Two - 10/02/07 - Widescreen!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

How I Met Your Mother - The Season Two - 10/02/07 - Widescreen!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-07, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How I Met Your Mother - Season Two - 10/02/07 - Widescreen!

According to FoxStore.com this one will be widescreen, unlike the Season 1 crappy Full Frame. I wish they'd redo Season 1.

MSRP $31.98

Episode Description:
Disc 1:
Where Were We?
The Scorpion and the Toad
Brunch
Ted Mosby, Architect
World's Greatest Couple
Aldrin Justice
Swarley
Atlantic City
SPECIAL FEATURES:
Audio Commentary on "Where Were We? by show creators Carter Bays and Craig Thomas and director Pam Fryman
Audio Commentary on "Swarley" by writer/producer Greg Mailins and cast member Alyson Hannigan
Easter Egg - Emmy Award Winner Steve Olson
Disc 2:
Robin Sparkles
Single Stamina
How Lily Stole Christmas
First Time in New York
Columns
Monday Night Football
Lucky Penny
Stuff
SPECIAL FEATURES:
Audio Commentary on "Robin Sparkles" by show creator Craig Thomas, writer Courtney Kang and cast member Cobie Smulders
Audio Commentary on "Single Stamina" by writer Kristen Newman and cast member Neil Patrick Harris
Robin Sparkles Video
Disc 3:
Arrivederci Fiero
Moving Day
Bachelor Party
Showdown
Something Borrowed
Something Blue
SPECIAL FEATURES:
Audio Commentary on "Arrivederci Fiero" by writer Chris Harris and cast member Jason Segel
Audio Commentary on "Bachelor Party" byshow creator Carter Bays, director Pam Fryman and cast members Bob Saget and Josh Radnor
Audio Commentary on "Showdown" by show creators Carter Bays and Craig Thomas and director Pam Fryman
How We Make Your Mother
Gag Reel
How It Really Happened: Moving Day
How It Really Happened: Showdown
How It Really Happened: Bachelor Party
Hey Beautiful Video

Run Time: 484
Audio: Language: Dubbed: English / Subtitled: English, French & Spanish
Close Captioned: Yes
Color: n/a

Last edited by BobSolo; 09-26-07 at 11:58 AM.
Old 09-26-07, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

yes! i was kind of worried about it being widescreen. i went ahead and bought S1 but i only paid $10 for it so i didn't feel too bad. i am trying to get my fiancee started on it.
Old 09-26-07, 09:29 PM

Was season one filmed in widescreen to begin with? Just curious...
Old 09-26-07, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 424 Likes on 305 Posts
Originally Posted by MisterHowie
Was season one filmed in widescreen to begin with? Just curious...
Yes it was.
Old 09-27-07, 05:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ooooh, I might actually buy this now...I love this show, but just couldnt stomach buying 4x3 DVDs of a current TV show...especially when I have every episode in widescreen already .

Is season one already that cheap, or did you just get a really good deal at $10?
Old 09-27-07, 09:57 AM

It might have been filmed 16X9, but was it framed that way? A lot of current sitcoms have 16x9 masters but are framed for 4X3.

I remember a lot of controversy over BUFFY the Vampire Slayer's DVD releases because seasons 4-7 were filmed 16/9 and released 4X3 in the US. The show creator explained that it was "filmed" 16x9 but framed to be seen 4x3, so he chose to have them released that way in the US.

Perhaps the show was filmed 16x9 and shown that way on CBS-HD but the creators preferred the 4x3 versions. Has there been any interview with the creators about it?
Old 09-27-07, 11:25 AM

99% sure it was filmed in widescreen. The most annoying part of the DVD set was that the featurettes contained widescreen clips of the show that were letterboxed for 4:3! I complained so much everytime they flashed another letterboxed clip that my wife eventually left the room.
Old 09-27-07, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mayorofsmpleton
Perhaps the show was filmed 16x9 and shown that way on CBS-HD but the creators preferred the 4x3 versions. Has there been any interview with the creators about it?
I've never seen anyone ask them about it directly, but I'm willing to bet it was supposed to be 16x9 and the DVD set was botched.

Just for the record, I would rebuy season 1 in an heartbeat if they would release it with the 16x9 ratio. Hell, as much as I love this show I'd even jump through some hoops and pay more than I should to get it direct from Fox if they went that route.
Old 09-27-07, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by ENDContra
Is season one already that cheap, or did you just get a really good deal at $10?
i pricematched it at best buy where i had a $5 RZ certificate so it only cost $10.
Old 09-27-07, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kevin75
i pricematched it at best buy where i had a $5 RZ certificate so it only cost $10.
No...It cost $15, $10 of which you paid cash and $5 of which you paid in opportunity cost (RZ certificate).
Old 09-28-07, 05:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well pretty much any show that is shown 4:3 in SD even when its 16:9 in HD is framed for 4:3. And based on the title sequence (windowboxed into the 4:3 frame now, although it aired full 16:9 for the first few episodes), it appears the showrunners decided to focus on 4:3. Its just a weird situation of what is OAR...maybe it was framed with 4:3 in mind, but Ive always watched this show 16:9, and to me it seems pointless to cut part of the picture off even if nothing important is happening there...especially when DVD technology offers the possibility to give people 4:3 or 16:9 depending on the TV they are viewing on...but studios refuse to use it.

All that being said, both DeepDiscount and DVDPriceSearch say this set is 4:3, while Amazon and Buy.com do not say. My guess is the Fox website is wrong...but who knows...
Old 09-28-07, 02:07 PM

That's kind of what I mean. Sometimes just because a 16:9 version exists doesn't mean it's mean to be seen that way. I'm watching Dark Angel right now thinking "Didn't region 2 get a widescreen version of this?" and then remembering that they spoke directly with the creator's who said "4:3 is the correct ratio."

FOX is usually good about releasing 16:9 product when it's meant to be that way. In fact, I seem to recall the creators of WONDERFALLS saying FOX was pushing for 16:9 versions on DVD when only 2 episodes had been fully framed that way. In the end the decided to go 16:9 (there's a little dead space on the sides of the frame, but it doesn't KILL the show).

So it just seems weird that FOX would actively choose to 4:3 it if the creator's didn't want it that way. Seems like something the creator's should be asked in an interview. Cause I certainly won't be picking up the first or second seasons until I know the situation.
Old 10-03-07, 05:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So can anyone confirm that season two is indeed in widescreen or not?
Old 10-03-07, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Watched 3 eps last night, they were widescreen.
Old 10-03-07, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Man after watching the the first disc last night in widescreen, it like watching a completely different show, I hope season 1 can be rereleased somehow in widescreen, but I doubt that would happen.
Old 10-03-07, 10:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
Man after watching the the first disc last night in widescreen, it like watching a completely different show, I hope season 1 can be rereleased somehow in widescreen, but I doubt that would happen.
I just saw in this thread where the first season is going out of print, so it looks like there may be a chance it is released in widescreen.
Old 10-04-07, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If it does I will sell my copy so I can get season one in widescreen.