Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Ever Find A Hidden Gem? (The OMG I just picked up a Collector's Item Thread!)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 09-25-07, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you ever been browsing DVDs and find an extremely rare or OOP dvd.

This happened to me the other day at FYE. I was looking throught the used DVDs and I stumbled acrosse BRUCE CAMPBELL VS. ARMY OF DARKNESS Boomstick Edition and I almost shit my pants. I didn't have enough money on me so I hid it and came back the next day. Turns out it was one of the even rarer ones with the 8 page JOIN THE ARMY booklet.

Anybody else ever find something great?

Last edited by rhcp1214; 09-25-07 at 09:20 PM.
Old 09-25-07, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
When the 1st pressing of Ed Wood was recalled, I managed to find a copy on the shelves at FYE. I was pretty pleased.
Old 09-25-07, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm still smiling with glee that I got Army of Darkness: Boomstick Edition (with the booklet) within the year it came out. Quite possibly my most valuable DVD.

Less prestigious is that I had failed to score the original version of Death Wish before the ugly reworked art came out. By the power of a $5 Blockbuster gift card my stepdad gave me, I found the original, very 70's-looking cover and got it for $5 and change after the gift card.
Old 09-25-07, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Rabid Dogs (original release), which while used, was in perfect condition and only cost me $7. I watched it, then sold it for $77.
Old 09-25-07, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 75 Likes on 49 Posts
I bought MST3K: The Movie for $9.99 at Borders just after it had gone OOP, and then sold it for $120 a couple of years later.
Old 09-25-07, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just happened recently. I found the Origins of Film set at a used DVD store for $20. Just sold it for $150.
Old 09-25-07, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Found Meet Joe Black: Ultimate Edition for $9 new at a grocery store and sold it for $30 on amazon.
Old 09-25-07, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Was going thru a Rasputin a few months ago and found a copy of John Carpenter's Body Bags stuck in the drama section behind a bunch of stuff. I have been trying to find a copy under $20 for years.
Old 09-25-07, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Just some off the top of my head...

I once found Robocop: Criterion Collection brand new at a Coconuts (now FYE) years and years ago. I gladly paid $40 for this OOP gem.

Remember an old Sci-Fi movie called The Wraith? Well Circuit City had an entire library of movies put out by some studio which included The Wraith in it. They were selling the disc for $6.99, but they would go on eBay for $40+ during it's peak. I made quite a killing until it became more well known that this movie existed on DVD.

I've also had my fair share of hidden video game gems while working at EB Games. My boss at the time didn't mind us buying the discs from customers instead of trading them in, so I had plenty of Marvel vs. Capcom 2's to go around. Bought them for $15-20 from the customer, sell them for $50 on eBay.
Old 09-25-07, 11:10 PM

I found a copy of DUEL at a local store that traffics in new and used CD's and DVD's. This was back when it was announced and then scrapped before it was released. Cost me $8...didn't sell it though. I was happy to have it at the time....

Also found a copy of the Criterion SEVEN SAMUARI with the restoration demo for $14. Sold that one on eBay and did alright....
Old 09-25-07, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by Rammsteinfan
Was going thru a Rasputin a few months ago and found a copy of John Carpenter's Body Bags stuck in the drama section behind a bunch of stuff. I have been trying to find a copy under $20 for years.
It now goes for under $5. I guess they finally discovered all those warehouses full of unsold new copies. But, yes, it was once hard to find. Too bad the DVD is a severely edited print compared to the uncut original VHS and Showtime broadcast version.
Old 09-26-07, 01:09 AM

i found a copy of WWF WrestleMania 2000 and WrestleMania X-7 at wherehouse music.
Old 09-26-07, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Remember an old Sci-Fi movie called The Wraith? Well Circuit City had an entire library of movies put out by some studio which included The Wraith in it. They were selling the disc for $6.99, but they would go on eBay for $40+ during it's peak. I made quite a killing until it became more well known that this movie existed on DVD.
It's OOP again and Ebay prices are increasing. Seen a few go recently for $30+
Old 09-26-07, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 85 Likes on 66 Posts
I saw two versions of Ed Wood on the shelves of Best Buy around 2 years ago, well after it had been recalled. Didn't pick it up though because I didn't

a.) Know which specific one was recalled (the spines were different)

b.) have $24.99 or whatever it was.

Love the movie though.
Old 09-26-07, 03:22 AM

Funny you mention Army of Darkness as 2 of my instances involved this DVD.

The first was when I went to an EB Games store when I visited my cousin in PA about 2 years ago. I usually look through their DVD's anyway to see if I can score a bargain. But that day I found the numbered single disc LE director's cut version (the one in the gold case) for $9.99. I was confused as to the "production run" numbers on the back cause it was 2940/5000 (I knew there were far more than 5000 made) until I found out it was the Canadian version of the DVD.

The other was at the DVD shop in the flea market in my area. I snagged the first 2 disc numbered LE of the DVD for $14.99 this past year.

I'd say the best one was just a couple of weeks ago. I was almost done buying all the Pinky Violence DVD's and was holding off on buying Sex & Fury for no good reason.

When I found out it recently went OOP, I tried frantically to find a copy to no avail. Turning to Ebay was no luck as the prices were up in the high $60 range (I wanted it, but not that bad).

I went to Moviestop where I can almost always find some good OOP stuff there (which coincedentally I bought my first Pinky film "Female Yakuza Tale" a while back). I asked if they had a copy in stock used or otherwise and they said it was still up for "special order" in their system. I told him it was OOP and he said it wasn't marked that way in their system and still could possibly be available. So I plunked down $5.00 to order and waited about 2 weeks. I went back and the guy said it was backordered in the DC's system, so right then I knew I wasn't getting it from them.

On a dumb idea, I went across the street to the FYE in the mall. Went straight to their "just in" section, and no shit did they have a copy of it for $10.99. I thought it was funny cause it's not the kind of DVD you just "happen" upon at any retailer. But it was there JUST when I was looking for it. The gods smiled on me that day!

I still kick myself in the ass for not buying Watership Down from Wal-Mart for $9.72 just weeks before it went OOP.
Old 09-26-07, 03:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I found the MST3K movie THREE TIMES. I love that series, but I love Ben Franklin a lot more. That's right, I sold all three for $100 each.

I also found My Dinner With Andre and, likewise, sold it for $75 on Ebay.

I found Hard Boiled (Criterion) for $10 at Game Stop. Kept that one.

I found the first season of Twin Peaks three times before the second season came out and sold that for as much as $150 on Amazon.

I found Roots (before it was reprinted) twice and sold that for about $100 each on Amazon.

Found Jem seasons three times, one new at FYE, and sold that for a bunch.

Bought Rawhead Rex three times, sold it.

Bought Shadowlands at least six times.

Bought Chappaqua twice.

Actually finding and selling rare dvds is my hobby. I rarely keep them because they come back in print. Beyond the one I mentioned before, the only oop dvd I own is Army of Darkness: Boomstick edition (with booklet). And the only one I regret selling is the MST3K, but I'm not giving up hope!
Old 09-26-07, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I found the original release of Little Shop of Horrors (with the alternate ending) - kept that one ..
Old 09-26-07, 09:14 AM

I found Korean LE of Acacia (which is available no longer anywhere to my knowledge) in a Moscow store for about $30. Since it's out of stock on all known to me asian websites I grabbed it immediately.
Old 09-26-07, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Sigh...I miss Rasputin's. I used to live right across the street from the San Lorenzo one!

There's none like that one out here in Texas!

I used to find a lot of good stuff in those Rasputin stores - lots of OOP CDs and other things I'd re-sell on eBay for some good $$$$
Old 09-26-07, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts
I found one copy of Swamp Thing International Cut at Circuit City after hearing about one mother complaint about the nudity before MGM decided to pull it out the shelves.

Movie wasn't that great but didn't mind about Adrienne's boob shot.
Old 09-26-07, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mickey65
Sigh...I miss Rasputin's. I used to live right across the street from the San Lorenzo one!

There's none like that one out here in Texas!

I used to find a lot of good stuff in those Rasputin stores - lots of OOP CDs and other things I'd re-sell on eBay for some good $$$$
What a small world. I just moved near that one a year ago and go there from time to time. Now the Target that was across the street is gone and will soon be a Best Buy. Now I have Rasputin and Best Buy to blow my money at! I also found some good used stuff there that sold for more money on Ebay such as the Swamp Thing that was pulled (bought for $9.99 and sold for almost $30 per copy) and the original release of the Creature from Black Lagoon which sold for $40 on ebay. Great times!
Old 09-26-07, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
What a small world. I just moved near that one a year ago and go there from time to time. Now the Target that was across the street is gone and will soon be a Best Buy. Now I have Rasputin and Best Buy to blow my money at! I also found some good used stuff there that sold for more money on Ebay such as the Swamp Thing that was pulled (bought for $9.99 and sold for almost $30 per copy) and the original release of the Creature from Black Lagoon which sold for $40 on ebay. Great times!
I found the Blues Brothers DVD there for less than $10 and sold it on eBay (way before the new edition came out) for close to $40. And like I said, found numerous OOP CDs in the $1 each bins for "bank" on eBay!

Yeah, I lived in the apts behind the Grand Auto (and had for 13 years!). I used to make the rounds at ALL the Rasputin's - altho the one in San Lorenzo and in Newark had the best stuff, since SF and Bezerkely were all "picked thru"! And the Concord one hardly hardly anything good either.

Bummer about Target being torn down - altho I know they rebuilt one further down Hesperian Blvd. I know there are also supposed to be building an In & Out Burger on the corner there in front of where the Best Buy will be.

Last edited by mickey65; 09-26-07 at 11:24 AM.
Old 09-26-07, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I had no idea Army of Darkness: Boomstick Edition was such a collector's item. But why exactly (other than the fact that it's out-of-print)? I bought it when it was first released, and if I remember correctly it has no brand new features or cuts that weren't on previous releases.

Last edited by Yavin; 09-26-07 at 11:37 AM.
Old 09-26-07, 12:02 PM

I have the first edition of Army and never picked up any of the others because the extras never changed, nor did they ever clean up/upgrade the bootleg edition. I have found-
Sid and Nancy Criterion for $19.99 at Borders almost 8 months after it went OOP new.
Straw Dogs Criterion at Best Buy for $21.99 almost 5 months after it went OOP new.
The Oldboy tin at The Wherehouse *now FYE* new for $19.99 after it had went OOP. I aready had a copy so I got it and sold the unopened one for $85 on ebay.
Evil Dead 2 Book of the Dead at Rasputin used for $9.99 that had to have been mispriced.
M Criterion used for $9.99 at Rasputin used that was mispriced since the the other used copy was $24.99
Old 09-26-07, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So, what's rarer: The Boomstick Edition or the 2-disc Limited Edition (013131095296) that preceeded it?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.