Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Bourne Ultimatum/Jason Bourne Collection [merged w/ "what happened" thread]

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Bourne Ultimatum/Jason Bourne Collection [merged w/ "what happened" thread]

Old 12-12-07, 12:50 AM

^ exactly what i'm planning to do now that you confirmed the discs inside are shrinkwrapped! thanks for the info!
Old 12-12-07, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by shyguy1083
^ exactly what i'm planning to do now that you confirmed the discs inside are shrinkwrapped! thanks for the info!
Be prepared for a sideways glance from the cashier, though.
Old 12-12-07, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by howwon
I ordered the R2 Steelbook from Amazon.co.uk. It was released today.

Ah so you're getting the version with Mark Walhberg(Damon looks so much like Marky Mark in that picture)? :P
Old 12-12-07, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by wastro
I'm a big enough fan of the series, so (foolishly?) I did just that.
Don't feel too foolish. Hell, I picked up all three.

To add to your comments:

The Steelbook exclusive contains the two featurettes and Moby video. This is the missing content that Region 2 received, although it probably could've been included on one disc. The menu is static, but does at least match the style of the animated one on the Ultimatum disc.

The 10 minute "Evolution of Nicky" kind've feels like it was intended for an earlier release. Many of the interviews are from the time of Supremacy, although it does include Ultimatum content as well. It acknowledges that Nicky was little more than a glorified secretary in Identity, but someone Greengrass thought had potential for a larger role. Oddly, it ends with an ad for the Bourne Files collection.

"Big City Action" is a 29 minute piece that covers the NYC shooting. It's basically just a longer version of the 10 minute "New York Chase" from disc 1. There's a lot of overlap from that featurette, which suggests a 15 or 20 minute version may have been the ideal.

The Blackbriar Files is a thin paperback book that's roughly a little longer than a postcard. It's a novelty on par with the passport, but I doubt too many people will feel it justifies the higher price. (If BB's Steelbook only contained the 1 disc version, then the free book would be a no brainer.)

Last edited by poirot; 12-12-07 at 01:23 AM.
Old 12-12-07, 01:26 AM

Maybe I'm missing something, but what are the Blackbriar Files?
Old 12-12-07, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The individual films in the collection are shrinkwrapped.

The fourth disc has the same features included in the Bourne Files collection.

The special features on that bonus disc are not included in the steel book edition of "Ultimatum."

The special features on the two-disc edition of "Ultimatum" are, as far as I know, exclusive to that set.

To get all the special features, you would need to buy both the four-disc set and the two-disc edition of "Ultimatum." I'm a big enough fan of the series, so (foolishly?) I did just that. I put the shrinkwrapped "Ultimatum" on Half.com and put the steelbook in with the other two movies. It fits perfectly.
If the fourth disc has the same features as the Bourne Files collection, couldn't you just buy the Bourne Files as well as the "Ultimatum" Steelbook and have them all?
Old 12-12-07, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Kory
If the fourth disc has the same features as the Bourne Files collection, couldn't you just buy the Bourne Files as well as the "Ultimatum" Steelbook and have them all?
There is one small differences between the Bourne Files bonus disc and the fourth disc of the collection.

The Bourne Files includes a sneak peak at "Ultimatum," in addition to the three Ludlum featurettes.

The fourth disc of the set includes the three Ludlum featurettes and trailers for all three films.

Last edited by wastro; 12-12-07 at 09:44 AM.
Old 12-12-07, 10:08 AM

Thanks for the clarification wastro. I already have the File Collection, but I like the collection box. A grocery chain has the complete collection for $29.99 and there's a no tax sale this weekend (it's 13.5% in my area of Canada). So $10 each per movie and a great deal..
Later
Old 12-12-07, 11:56 AM

Maybe I'm missing something, but what are the Blackbriar Files?
It's a bonus that Target is offering at an additional price. It's a thin paperback that covers various aspects of the films (characters; etc). This version also includes a slipcover identifying it as a "Blackbriar Files Limited Edition".

Originally Posted by Kory
Pretty much. But the original Identity dvd also contains a few minor extras that are still exclusive to it, such as a 14-minute "making of" and an extended scene at the farmhouse.

Speaking of which, I noticed that Walmart's Bourne display included this original Collector's Edition rather than the Extended version. HOWEVER, the catch is that they were all Full Screen only. Just thought I'd mention it for any completists that only want the missing extras.
Old 12-13-07, 08:17 PM

Location: on my couch watching dvds of course .. where else ???
is this a limited set ?

it is sold out on Amazon and they said that they do not know if they are able to get additional stock
Old 12-13-07, 09:04 PM
Banned

There is one small differences between the Bourne Files bonus disc and the fourth disc of the collection.

The Bourne Files includes a sneak peak at "Ultimatum," in addition to the three Ludlum featurettes.

The fourth disc of the set includes the three Ludlum featurettes and trailers for all three films.
Sonafabitch! This week I bought Happy Feet for $9.99 for the Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix teaser, the Harry Potter Interactive DVD Game: Hogwarts Challenge for $19.99 for the Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix full-length trailer and now, due to this post, the Jason Bourne Collection (after having already bought the Best Buy Steelbook of Ultimatum), for $30 at bn.com for the trailers to all three films. Why, oh why, do I have to be such a geek for the one bonus feature studios seem not to give much of a proper shit about anymore? Thanks for your help, though, wastro; I appreciate people who give very specific details about variations between DVD release options.
Old 12-13-07, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by etcl
is this a limited set ?

it is sold out on Amazon and they said that they do not know if they are able to get additional stock
I don't think it's a limited set. I was at HMV today and they had about 20 of them.
Old 12-14-07, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I want this, but I can't help thinking that SEs are waiting in the wings a short while down the road. Plus, will the set have the first film with the Lyman commentary or the EE?
Old 12-14-07, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I ended up buying the Bourne Collection since I didn't have the previous movies. I dig the box, but i like how they're just individual DVD's inside. If a 4th is ever made, i won't feel so bad.
Old 12-14-07, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, its limited. Its says it right on the outer box.
Old 12-14-07, 04:41 PM

^ dunno if they're gonna put it in "the vault" like disney does after a certain time, or if they just made like 100k copies. at my best buy, there were literally over 100 copies of the box. dunno if its just for this week though since it's a new release. maybe they'll send their excess stock back to the manufacturer, which means that amazon can get more stock from that. i don't know how it works. but i don't it'll ever be difficult to find
Old 12-14-07, 05:50 PM
Banned

My guess is everything outside the three movie keepcases (the outer silver box, the passport, and bonus disc) are limited. If you want those things better get the box while you can.
Old 12-14-07, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by God, Part II
Sonafabitch! This week I bought Happy Feet for $9.99 for the Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix teaser, the Harry Potter Interactive DVD Game: Hogwarts Challenge for $19.99 for the Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix full-length trailer and now, due to this post, the Jason Bourne Collection (after having already bought the Best Buy Steelbook of Ultimatum), for $30 at bn.com for the trailers to all three films. Why, oh why, do I have to be such a geek for the one bonus feature studios seem not to give much of a proper shit about anymore? Thanks for your help, though, wastro; I appreciate people who give very specific details about variations between DVD release options.
wouldn't it be easier/cheaper to just rent the films and extract the trailer itself? then you could make your own dvd of trailers instead of buying a completely unrelated movie for the trailer? unless you wanted the movies also, then that's okay, i guess.
Old 12-14-07, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst113
I want this, but I can't help thinking that SEs are waiting in the wings a short while down the road. Plus, will the set have the first film with the Lyman commentary or the EE?
Well, I remember long ago when the Identity re-release first streeted there was a small note on the packaging that said "this extended version does not represent the director's intention nor has been approved by the director" or something to this effect.

The point is, the eagle-eyed will notice that the version in the box set is simply the Explosive Edition and not the Explosive Extended Edition, and therefore, the one in the box set includes the Liman audio commentary, just like the version from the Bourne Files set. I wonder if the UPC is different...
Old 12-14-07, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Matthew Ackerly
Yes, its limited. Its says it right on the outer box.
So was "Saving Private Ryan." It was limited to several million copies. So the real question is, how limited?
Old 12-15-07, 12:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by shyguy1083
wouldn't it be easier/cheaper to just rent the films and extract the trailer itself? then you could make your own dvd of trailers instead of buying a completely unrelated movie for the trailer? unless you wanted the movies also, then that's okay, i guess.
You're obviously more technologically advanced than I.
Old 12-15-07, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Jason Bourne Collection. I replaced the Bourne Identity artwork with the original I owned. I also kept both DVD's. The old release of TBI has disc art, something missing with most of todays DVD's (probably to distinguish SD from HD and for use on services like Netflix). Damn, DVD's still should have disc art.
Old 12-15-07, 05:08 PM

I tried to order more of this for my store, and I was told that it's already out of print. Seems it really is limited.
Old 12-15-07, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

yep, we got word today from the home office that vendor only ran one run on this and now it's OOP for good as is.

Last edited by db27; 12-16-07 at 06:57 PM.
Old 12-15-07, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What Happened to the James Bourne Collection?

Boy, this is surprising. I was at Walmart on Wednesday and they had a ton of these James Bourne collection sets.

I get on Amazon today and the sets are going for $83 bucks now! I went back to Walmart, and of course, the sets are now gone. Even more strange, every online vendor is suddenly out of stock. What happened?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.