Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official MMA DVD Discussion Thread (UFC/Pride & Other)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Official MMA DVD Discussion Thread (UFC/Pride & Other)

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-10, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Official MMA DVD Discussion Thread (UFC/Pride & Other)

Ok so im new to this forum. I own a few UFC DVDs and im debating whether or not I should get into collecting them like you guys do. Can I get some tips on what I should do or how I should collect them? Right now I have the following: UFC 87, 91, 92, 94, 101, TUF season 7. And the ones that im looking to order next are: UFC 47/48, Liddell-Couture Trilogy Pack, TUF Seasons 1 and 2, and UFC 103
Old 12-26-10, 03:10 PM

If you have Big Lots near you, I bought 47/48 at mine and have heard of the Liddell-Couture trilogy appearing at them. That would be a good, cheap way to start your collection.
Old 12-26-10, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by KurtK26
If you have Big Lots near you, I bought 47/48 at mine and have heard of the Liddell-Couture trilogy appearing at them. That would be a good, cheap way to start your collection.
That would be great, but I don't live near a Big Lots. I plan on ordering from Amazon
Old 12-26-10, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by coreybronco1
Ok so im new to this forum. I own a few UFC DVDs and im debating whether or not I should get into collecting them like you guys do. Can I get some tips on what I should do or how I should collect them? Right now I have the following: UFC 87, 91, 92, 94, 101, TUF season 7. And the ones that im looking to order next are: UFC 47/48, Liddell-Couture Trilogy Pack, TUF Seasons 1 and 2, and UFC 103
Big Lots is a good place to start for older titles. Also your local FYE should have some older titles (pre UFC 80) for like 6.99 or less. The best way to get newer dvds cheaper is on amazon & ebay, and also start picking up new releases as they come out for 11.99-14.99 at Best Buy or FYE, or even from online retailers. The next dvd to hit is UFC 121 Lesnar vs Velasquez and it drops on 1/4, definately a good starting point, while grabbing shows with the fighters you like in between releases on the bay.
Old 12-26-10, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Aces_High
Big Lots is a good place to start for older titles. Also your local FYE should have some older titles (pre UFC 80) for like 6.99 or less. The best way to get newer dvds cheaper is on amazon & ebay, and also start picking up new releases as they come out for 11.99-14.99 at Best Buy or FYE, or even from online retailers. The next dvd to hit is UFC 121 Lesnar vs Velasquez and it drops on 1/4, definately a good starting point, while grabbing shows with the fighters you like in between releases on the bay.
Appreciate the tips man. I'm trying to find a starting point. I figured I would get an assortment first to kinda get a feel for buying DVDs on a regular basic (getting some older ones, kinda new, and brand new releases). I am always on Amazon looking at all of the DVDs and trying to pick out the ones i would like to get.
Old 12-27-10, 06:32 PM

I almost forgot, gohastings.com is a goldmine for UFC stuff. They've got nearly a full catalog of stuff and it's cheap too. Plus if you run into a sale, you can do real well there.
Old 12-27-10, 07:19 PM

Thanks again Aces, but can you give me some advice on where I should start? Also, what do you think about the ones that i will be ordering soon (listed above)?
Old 12-27-10, 09:49 PM

But I think I am going to get 117 instead of 103. Let me know what you think of my choices.
Old 12-28-10, 11:07 AM

I think your choices look so far so good. 117 was a great show, better than 103. I would add the following to your start up:
-Ultimate 100 Greatest Fights on DVD or Blu-Ray (You can pick this up for 29.99 on dvd or 34.99 on bd, regardless of the politics of the fights on the list there's 100 awesome fights all complete on this thing and for the price you can't beat it.
-Best of 2009
-Best of 2008 (both of these are great to have they wrap the year's best fights up nicely and it makes a great addition to the collection)
-Ultimate Heavyweights (I just watched this from beginning to end, and it's a pretty good dvd especially if you like Heavyweight fighters. Not much from the early days, though there are a few classic fights in the bonus section)
-Best of WEC and/or WEC Aldo vs Faber (these are must haves, lower weight class fighting at it's best, both are available on blu-ray for like 12 bucks each at gohastings. You won't be disappointed with either title)

As far as individual cards go, I need to know the fighters that you like the most. Give me 5 of your favorite fighters and I"ll give you a top 10 recommendation of which shows to get.

And I recommend, if you have a blu-ray player, to pick up what you can in blu-ray ofcourse! All the titles above I listed are available in dvd or Blu-ray and can be picked up on gohastings for good prices!
Old 12-28-10, 12:04 PM

I just might consider spending a little more and getting the 100 greatest fights. My original plan was to get some of the older events with some classic fights(for example, Liddell vs Tito 1 and 2), but the greatest fights might be an easier way to go. And I have actually seen the Best Of 2009 when it aired on Spike, and I'm probably won't look into the Best Of 2008 right now. I have not looked at the Ultimate Heavyweights DVD that much, but it could be a possibility sometime. As for WEC, I have seen Aldo vs Faber, and did watch the WEC on a regular basis. Thanks again man. You are really helping me out a lot.
Old 12-28-10, 12:34 PM

Ok I've made my final decision (wow I feel like LeBron lol). I'm going to take your advice and get the Ultimate 100 Greatest Fights on DVD. So I removed the Trilogy Pack, UFC 47/48, and TUF Season 2. Which leaves me with:

100 Greatest Fights- $30.99
TUF Season 1- $14.99
UFC 117- $11.99
Old 01-02-11, 07:22 PM

Also, picked up UFC 115 on sale at Best Buy for $9.99 and they also had UFC 121 there as well so I got it for $14.99.
Old 01-06-11, 01:18 AM

i got some ufc's at christmas (47,48,50,52) from a pawn shop for rather cheap. I got the 3 for $30 deal at the ufc store, (84, 95/96, 104/105 combos). I got pride fc 13: Collision Course for 1.00 on amazon. In addition to that i had TUF seasons 2 & 3. Starting to get somewhat of a collection going
Old 01-06-11, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Aces_High
I think your choices look so far so good. 117 was a great show, better than 103. I would add the following to your start up:
-Ultimate 100 Greatest Fights on DVD or Blu-Ray (You can pick this up for 29.99 on dvd or 34.99 on bd, regardless of the politics of the fights on the list there's 100 awesome fights all complete on this thing and for the price you can't beat it.
-Best of 2009
-Best of 2008 (both of these are great to have they wrap the year's best fights up nicely and it makes a great addition to the collection)
-Ultimate Heavyweights (I just watched this from beginning to end, and it's a pretty good dvd especially if you like Heavyweight fighters. Not much from the early days, though there are a few classic fights in the bonus section)
-Best of WEC and/or WEC Aldo vs Faber (these are must haves, lower weight class fighting at it's best, both are available on blu-ray for like 12 bucks each at gohastings. You won't be disappointed with either title)

As far as individual cards go, I need to know the fighters that you like the most. Give me 5 of your favorite fighters and I"ll give you a top 10 recommendation of which shows to get.

And I recommend, if you have a blu-ray player, to pick up what you can in blu-ray ofcourse! All the titles above I listed are available in dvd or Blu-ray and can be picked up on gohastings for good prices!

This is a great list. I'd just add you should add some of the Pride Grand Prix Events. Particularly 2003 & 2005. Also, Pride 28: High Octane is a must own for an MMA fan. The match between Wand & Rampage seriously looks like a live action Street Fighter II match. Also if you are looking for UFC events to get from last year my favorite's were UFC 115 (Condit / MacDonald & CroCop / Barry were both awesome), UFC 116 & UFC 117.
Old 01-06-11, 03:01 PM

Just got UFC 117 and Ultimate 100 Greatest Fights in the mail, still waiting on TUF season 1. My collections now consists of UFC 87, 91, 92, 94, 101, 115, 117, 121, TUF 7 (and soon TUF 1), and 100 Greatest Fights. My plan is to get every event from like UFC 100-Current and try to eventually get all of TUF Seasons.
Old 01-06-11, 07:14 PM

good collections guys, also what ufc event do u think is the all-time best that is on dvd? i need recommendations for good ones when i buy in the future. Thanks
Old 01-07-11, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by beerme22
good collections guys, also what ufc event do u think is the all-time best that is on dvd? i need recommendations for good ones when i buy in the future. Thanks
Both UFC 100 and 116 are my all-time favorites. I'm obviously a Brock mark, but the Mir win might be my favorite ever (esp. his post-fight comments), and I loved all of 116.
Old 01-07-11, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

UFC 84: Ill Will, UFC 87: Seek And Destroy, UFC 102: Couture Vs. Nogueira & UFC 117: Silva Vs. Sonnen are probably my favorite UFC cards from the past couple of years. As mentioned above the Best Of WEC disc is an essential for any fan.
Old 01-07-11, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by beerme22
Buy the Ultimate 100 Greatest Fights. It shows the best 100 FULL FIGHTS. I bought if from amazon for only like $25-35 which is a great deal. Haven't got a chance to watch it yet but I know it will be awesome
Old 01-08-11, 08:49 PM

great choices theres so many to choose from, i already got ufc 84, top of my list is ufc 92 i think, then some newer ones i wanna get. Also the ultimate fighters i like watchin them. 100 greatest fights sounds like a huge deal not only do u get 100 fights but the best ones since they made it. Also does anyone get the 3 for $30 deal on ufc's store or is there a cheaper place for ufc's 100 and up?
Old 01-09-11, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have majority of UFC on Blu-ray, but started about a month ago to collect the ppvs. So far i got i got:

UFC 81: Breaking Point
UFC 91: Couture vs. Lesnar
UFC 100 (Blu-ray)
UFC 111: St. Pierre vs. Hardy
UFC 114: Rampage vs. Evans
UFC 116: Lesnar vs. Carwin
UFC 121: Lesnar vs. Velasquez

Good start?

I know i'm a big Lesnar fan, which is what turned me to UFC to begin with.

Might be getting 110 and 117 since i read good things about those.
Old 01-09-11, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by sg2386
I have majority of UFC on Blu-ray, but started about a month ago to collect the ppvs. So far i got i got:

UFC 100 (Blu-ray)

Good start?

Yeah thats a good start. 110 is pretty good and 117 is really good, features one of the greatest comebacks of all time. But like a told another guy in this forum, I would look into getting the 100 Greatest Fights DVD (or Blu-Ray). It won't cost you very much. If you want any more info just PM me and i'll let ya know.
Old 01-09-11, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by coreybronco1
Yeah thats a good start. 110 is pretty good and 117 is really good, features one of the greatest comebacks of all time. But like a told another guy in this forum, I would look into getting the 100 Greatest Fights DVD (or Blu-Ray). It won't cost you very much. If you want any more info just PM me and i'll let ya know.
yea, the 100 Greatest Fights was the first UFC Blu-ray i bought last year then i started to get the rest on blu. Started to get hooked, and now decided to build a collection of ppvs.
Old 01-09-11, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by sg2386
yea, the 100 Greatest Fights was the first UFC Blu-ray i bought last year then i started to get the rest on blu. Started to get hooked, and now decided to build a collection of ppvs.
Ok cool. Good luck man
Old 01-09-11, 10:28 PM

UFC 100 (Blu-ray)

Good start?

i think thats a great start u got most of the good ones and also if u like Lesnar, consider getting ufc 87

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.