Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Halloween (Zombie)---> December 18th

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-07, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like this will be getting a best buy exclusive.

Maybe like the V for Vendetta set with a Myers Mask???

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....uct&id=1777148
Old 11-11-07, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
probably steelbook
Old 11-11-07, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Originally Posted by Swahili
Man, that cover looks so extreme. I'm so scared just by looking at that boxart I'm not going to bother buying this thing.
That cover art is pretty bad. I'll still pick it up though.

I remember with the R1 DVD release of "Dead Alive" you had to look at the rating on the back to see if it was unrated. The artwork was exactly the same on both the rated and unrated releases. While it was annoying then, I prefer it more now than the "Unrated" and "Director's Cut" plastered all over cover art nowadays.

It won't replace the original, but I really enjoyed Zombie's remake. Maybe I'm just an open minded horror fan or maybe I remembered there were worse films in the series (Halloween Resurrection). I do agree with people who have mentioned that it was weird for him to do "his" half of the movie and then switch into almost a frame-by-frame remake of the original. Then again if he did a complete remake (no changes), I'm sure everyone would complain about that too.
Old 11-11-07, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by asianxcore
It won't replace the original, but I really enjoyed Zombie's remake. Maybe I'm just an open minded horror fan or maybe I remembered there were worse films in the series (Halloween Resurrection). I do agree with people who have mentioned that it was weird for him to do "his" half of the movie and then switch into almost a frame-by-frame remake of the original. Then again if he did a complete remake (no changes), I'm sure everyone would complain about that too.
You have a point. I was kinda expecting him to make the actual remake scenes more his own. I think I was hoping it would just be more intense, but still stay true to the original. But you definately have a point there are worst entries in the series (Resurrection & "Curse of..."). But most people don't respect my opinion on the series because I consider H20 the best (next to the original)...
Old 11-20-07, 11:35 PM

If he would have kept it on the path of the first half we would have had a winner.
Wow, I feel the exact opposite. I pretty much hated the first 45 minutes. That little blond kid is just not Michael Myers to me at all. But then once grown-up Myers escapes from Smith's Grove and arrives in Haddonfield, I started to really like it. I'll probably buy the DVD. I look forward to seeing the unrated version.
Old 11-21-07, 06:19 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by asianxcore
I do agree with people who have mentioned that it was weird for him to do "his" half of the movie and then switch into almost a frame-by-frame remake of the original.
After seeing the workprint (loved it) and comparing it to the theatrical release (it sucked shit through a straw, IMNSHO), I think Rob was pushed into the re-shoots/changes by the Weinsteins, probably. They wanted more of a "resemblance" (read: carbon copy) to the original.
Old 11-21-07, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by cactusoly
actually the internet has a way of making things seem more hated than they really are. A lot of people on the internet are obsessed with negativity and those who are negative are always the most vocal about it. If you look at all the negative posts about RZ's Halloween (as well as a lot of other movies) , most of them are from the same few posters.
I would have to disagree. Maybe sometimes, but this time it's a lot more than a few message board posters who disliked the theatrical version of this.

I suffered through it once in the theater, and I wouldn't watch it again if you offered me $50 to do so. Seriously.

And I'm a huge horror fan. Liked Devil's Rejects quite a bit.

A director's cut? I'd definitely be open-minded and give that a chance.

Last edited by MoviePage; 11-21-07 at 08:18 AM.
Old 11-21-07, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by cerial442
I don't know about 5, but part 6 came out around Halloween.
Halloween - October 25, 1978
Halloween II - October 30, 1981
Halloween III: Season of the Witch - October 22, 1982
Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers - October 21, 1988
Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers - October 13, 1989
Halloween 6: The Curse of Michael Myers - September 29, 1995
Halloween 7: Twenty Years Later (H20) - August 5, 1998
Halloween 8: Resurrection - July 12, 2002
Halloween - August 31, 2007
Old 11-21-07, 10:24 AM

I'm guessing the Director's Cut will be a mixture. Hopefully at least... considering there were parts of each version I liked, and parts I hated (never liked the half-assed "17 years ago I came across a baby..." bs the sheriff spouted in the car with Loomis, and I hated the "rape" escape from Smith's grove...

As a whole not a terrible film, but not entirely great either. I'd rank it higher than many past sequels in terms of quality, but I have a soft spot for some of the worst entries in the series just for their "so bad it's good" elements.
Old 11-23-07, 09:10 PM

Rob Zombie has said that the "Director's Cut" is a new version that no one has seen. Which is cool, but I'd really like to see the workprint version, so I'm a little disappointed that it's not that. Maybe it's the workprint version with a few tweaks.
Old 11-24-07, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
^ Doubt it. The 2 biggest changes from the workprint (the escape and ending) won't end up in here. Maybe he might change the escape, but I doubt it since the original version was less-PC. No way he's going to change the ending, though. I'm sure this "unseen" cut is just the theatrical version with some minor bits from the workprint sprinkled throughout.
Old 11-24-07, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The movie itself is 'not PC' KillerC. So that's a stupid reason to not include an 'unPC' alternate sequence in to a 'directors cut'.

I think it's all just speculation whether the rape/escape scene and original ending will be included or not. I have not seen any proof of those not being included,besides fans just acting like they know they won't.

I'll wait for reviews though and not bother buying it,since I didn't like the movie that much. But I am curious what the DC is like if original ending is intact and other scenes added/changed. So it'll be a rental at best. But if the theatrical ending is still intact,then forget it!
Old 11-24-07, 01:51 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I don't think the workprint ending will be included in the actual film since Rob Zombie disliked it and that's why he changed it. I personally hated the workprint ending and found the theatrical ending to be much better and more satisfying.

I'm curious to see what the director's cut is like. I hope most of added footage is in the second half cause I felt that half was too rushed.
Old 11-24-07, 02:45 PM

What is this workprint everyone is talking about? I a bootleg of this movie and it had a big blurry bar at the top the whole time, did I see the workprint version?
Old 11-24-07, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Imail724
What is this workprint everyone is talking about? I a bootleg of this movie and it had a big blurry bar at the top the whole time, did I see the workprint version?

Yes you did.
Old 12-02-07, 06:15 PM

Does anyone know if the remake or the original Halloween will ever be released on HD-DVD?
I just bought a Toshiba HD-A2 player and i would to buy these two on Hi-Def someday.
Old 12-02-07, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

fangoria has a review up of the DVD...
http://fangoria.com/ghastly_review.php
Old 12-02-07, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I really wish I wouldn't have to buy two seperate editions to have both this unrated and theatrical cuts.
Old 12-02-07, 07:38 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
I wonder what the BB exclusive is? Since it looks like no HD DVD version of this I will just buy the DVD, sigh.
Old 12-03-07, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
I wonder what the BB exclusive is? Since it looks like no HD DVD version of this I will just buy the DVD, sigh.
as it is close to the release date, i was just wondering the same thing!?
also, does anyone already know if the unrated 2disc set will come in a slipsleeve?
Old 12-04-07, 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by philip74
as it is close to the release date, i was just wondering the same thing!?
also, does anyone already know if the unrated 2disc set will come in a slipsleeve?
The Weinsteins generally release their films on HD-DVD -- several months after the respective DVD releases.
Old 12-04-07, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AllHallowsEve
The Weinsteins generally release their films on HD-DVD -- several months after the respective DVD releases.
That's true. None of their releases so far have come out day-and-date on HD DVD.

However, we also haven't had a release (or announcement) from them on HD DVD since June. It appears that they are rethinking HD releases and holding back titles. Grindhouse, 1408, Nanny Diaries, etc. have not been announced.

I'm glad that the theatrical release is also going to be seeing the light of day, but I'm not pleased about needing to buy the movie twice to get it.
Old 12-04-07, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by AllHallowsEve
actually my question was what exclusive version the best buy dvd will be?
Old 12-04-07, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I find it odd that he inserted the rape scene back into his directors cut of the film. That is one point that was extremely hated by almost all people who saw the workprint version. It also means that Bill Mosely and a few other actors won't be in the director's cut at all.
Old 12-04-07, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
It's funny, because I like different parts of both movies.
Spoiler:
I like the break-out in the theatrical and hated the raped scene in the workprint. I liked Danny Trejo's character living in the workprint. I like Laurie's dad's death in the theatrical, much more intense. I liked the ending better in the workprint. So guess I won't be satisfied....

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.