Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Bob Barker - Come On Down! 20 The Price Is Right episodes are coming to DVD in 2008!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
View Poll Results: With TPIR and Match Game on DVD what other Game Show would you like to see on DVD?
Family Feud (Richard Dawson) (rumored to be coming with celebrity edition)
31.58%
Hollywood Squares (Peter Marshall)
19.74%
Let's Make A Deal (Monty Hall)
17.11%
MTV's Remote Control (Ken Ober, Colin Quinn, Kari Wuhrer)
26.32%
Newlywed Game (Bob Eubanks)
14.47%
Hollywood Squares (Peter Marshall)
13.16%
Super Password (Bert Convey)
6.58%
Press Your Luck (Peter Tomarken)
28.95%
Family Feud (Ray Combs)
13.16%
Other
15.79%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Bob Barker - Come On Down! 20 The Price Is Right episodes are coming to DVD in 2008!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-07, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by johnbook
The Gong Show could be tempting.
Ditto.
Old 09-04-07, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 373 Likes on 267 Posts
I'd buy this disc if it had the episode my grandma was on... unless her boob popped out.
Old 09-04-07, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Imail724
I think you're missing Family Feud (Louie Anderson)

I guess somebody had to like him, but I really found him quite irritating, and I rarely watched the new Family Feud until he was gone.
Old 09-04-07, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is the most pointless DVD release I have ever heard of in my entire life.
Old 09-04-07, 08:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Definitely seconded.
Old 09-04-07, 09:08 PM

This is one of the most pointless posts I have ever read in my entire life.

Originally Posted by zombiezilla
Definitely seconded.
This is the most pointless post I have ever read in my entire life.

Obviously the two of you care nothing about The Price Is Right and Bob Barker, but both of you felt oh so compelled to post your feelings of negativity in this thread. I guess both of you feel really proud, putting down a bunch of game show fans and all.

Last edited by L Chabert Lover; 09-04-07 at 09:23 PM.
Old 09-04-07, 10:25 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, for a new guy, you sure are trying really hard to piss people off. And once again, with my "power of logic" firmly grasped, I'll ask you....what in the hell would you re-watch it for?!?
read my post, i state logically and easily to understand why it has infinite re-watchability
Old 09-04-07, 10:27 PM
Banned

worst post of the century
Old 09-04-07, 10:28 PM
Banned

Definitely seconded.
second worst post of the century
Old 09-04-07, 10:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by joegrjoe
The Price Is Right has infinite re-watchability
"The Price Is Wrong, Bitch!" - Adam Sandler
Old 09-04-07, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Post a link to your collection and I am sure I will find more.
Old 09-04-07, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by calhoun07
Post a link to your collection and I am sure I will find more.
It's in my sig. Don't worry, you'll find plenty of lousy movies there. I guess I just don't see the point of (re)watching a game show when you know the outcome. It's not like you can focus on the cinematography or the editing or the script or any single solitary other aspect of the program. I realize that this a threadcrap, but I simply cannot fathom the appeal of a game show on DVD.

Last edited by NoirFan; 09-05-07 at 12:12 AM.
Old 09-05-07, 04:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

As much as I liked game shows in the '70s, I wouldn't buy them because I don't like "The Best Of" episoded. I would rather see them in order. And besides, there's way too many.
Old 09-05-07, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It's in my sig. Don't worry, you'll find plenty of lousy movies there. I guess I just don't see the point of (re)watching a game show when you know the outcome. It's not like you can focus on the cinematography or the editing or the script or any single solitary other aspect of the program. I realize that this a threadcrap, but I simply cannot fathom the appeal of a game show on DVD.
Thanks for giving me my, laugh of the day.
Old 09-05-07, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'll wait for the complete series set
Old 09-05-07, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Who would ever have thought that a "Price is Right" thread would have brought forth so much animosity?
Old 09-05-07, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i can't imagine watching this show on home video. i mean, it was kinda fun watching it when i was a kid stuck at home, but to want to put an episode on now as an adult is a little strange. but it'll be funny watching older eps with yesterday's prices and hairdos.
Old 09-05-07, 01:19 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 681 Likes on 457 Posts
I'll risk giving my thoughts here.

I've always enjoyed an occasional game show, have gone thru phases in my life where I'll watch one of them daily for a month or two. I have some fond memories of watching the old Match Game and Password with my mom. I still watch Jeopardy, Wheel of Fortune, or a classic show once a month or so.

That said, I can't imagine buying complete season or series sets. Most of the episodes are just average, not worth re-watching, especially when you consider that there are hours of repeats and new game programming on free TV every day.

However, I would be very interested in best of, or great moments, or celebrity highlight DVDs of many different game shows from the past and present.
Old 09-05-07, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's called entertainment. Why waste money on any movie DVD that you watch once and every time you watch it again you know the outcome? You watch it again because it's entertaining. Some people find game shows entertaining. Some don't.
Old 09-05-07, 02:12 PM

Some folks clearly don't know about game show fanatics. They have *hundreds* of episodes of the same show on videotape. They will trade an episode of Password for an episode of Match Game through the mail.

These guys will collect anything. I'm sure they bought a ton of the Match Game set, and that's why this TPIR set is being released. And they'll buy a ton of it, too.
Old 09-05-07, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Fair enough! Just as I can't fathom the appeal of many reality shows on DVD but yet those seem to sell very well.

I think the appeal on DVD is just the same as on GSN...even when you've already seen them and know the outcome (and you can say that about many, many TV shows in every genre) I still find them enjoyable. I probably don't watch my Match Game DVDs often, but a few years later after I watched them I will watch them again and I am sure there are aspects that will be enjoyable to me.

Good game shows just aren't on the contestants and how they do. It's about the chemistry of the host with the contestants/celeb guests (when applicable) and with the audience. A good host makes or breaks the game show, and it's the host that really is the determining factor if a game show is worth watching again or not. To me, anyway.
Old 09-05-07, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Qq

Originally Posted by Trevor
I'll risk giving my thoughts here.

I've always enjoyed an occasional game show, have gone thru phases in my life where I'll watch one of them daily for a month or two. I have some fond memories of watching the old Match Game and Password with my mom. I still watch Jeopardy, Wheel of Fortune, or a classic show once a month or so.

That said, I can't imagine buying complete season or series sets. Most of the episodes are just average, not worth re-watching, especially when you consider that there are hours of repeats and new game programming on free TV every day.

However, I would be very interested in best of, or great moments, or celebrity highlight DVDs of many different game shows from the past and present.
I don't think we will ever see the day of complete seasons of game shows (though I guess they have some good sets out in the UK, such as the game show Q1). First would be the huge number of episodes, and second is that most of the shows are average. But these best of sets are ideal for game shows, because many of the episodes are not worth re-watching and this collects the best episodes in one collection.

This is a rare case of DVD on TV where I gladly will support best of sets on DVD. Any other show and I'd be screaming foul, but it's perfect for game shows.
Old 09-05-07, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by darkhawk
As much as I liked game shows in the '70s, I wouldn't buy them because I don't like "The Best Of" episoded. I would rather see them in order. And besides, there's way too many.
But that's exactly why we will never see complete seasons sets of these. Yeah, there are avid collectors out there who have every episode on tape, but it's not enough people to justify the cost in remastering every episode for DVD.

My only complaint with the best of game show sets is sometimes you want to see how the contestant does tomorrow and you often don't get the opportunity.
Old 09-06-07, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I could be wrong & I don’t know if you can still do this today but, couldn’t you used to (or still can) phone the studio for a copy of the program & they’ll send it too you if you pay the S&H?

Kind of like how they have those ‘Send $5.00 & get a copy of NOVA’ on PBS. I could be wrong, but I thought that they used to have a program like that for game shows as well.
Old 01-10-08, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Coming March 25th, 2008 - With 26 episodes instead of 20 and it has Bill Cullen on the set.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.