Reload this Page >

Blade Runner - so many versions

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Blade Runner - so many versions

Old 12-19-07, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Matthew Ackerly

High Price? 55 dollars? Gimme a break.

This is a fantastic, wonderful set and I give kudos to Warner Bros. for giving it to the fans.
Agreed. I can't think of how many times Ive heard other people as well as myself complain about the lack of creative packaging/extras/knick knacks here in the states.

$55 isnt too much to pay at all considering the sets overseas usually cost 2-3 x as much, of course Ill buy this set as a fan of the movie, but if I wasnt id still support the DVD as a whole. Hopefully if this sells well studios will be more inclined to produce sets such as these in the future.
Old 12-19-07, 11:35 AM

Some people are never happy. On poster was complaining because the briefcase didn't make an authentic 'locking' sound, and it wasn't really accurate.

Give me a frickin' break. Some people are NEVER happy. I guess those people want an actual, working, loaded gun in the briefcase, too.
Old 12-19-07, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yea, I have to say $55 is a very good deal for what you get. I love the lenticular paperweight. It's very well made and with 5 discs, well........that's $11 a disc. Even my GF thought it was a good set and she's never seen the movie and hates it when I buy DVD sets.
Old 12-19-07, 11:48 AM
Banned

Illogical argument or not, people are still bitching and whining.

High Price? 55 dollars? Gimme a break.

This is a fantastic, wonderful set and I give kudos to Warner Bros. for giving it to the fans.
I believe the key point these people are making (myself included) is that the "briefcase" version is the only way to get the 5 disc SD set. Not everybody displays these extras. Many just throw them away or toss them in the closet. In fact, If there was a market I would gladly seell the extras to make up the difference in price.
Old 12-19-07, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by StephenX
I guess those people want an actual, working, loaded gun in the briefcase, too.
I would have bought the briefcase for that.
Old 12-19-07, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ukywyldcat
I disagree. I'd say watch the US Theatrical Release first.
Why? By all accounts it's a compromised vision, it's not what the studio wanted and it's not what Scott wanted. Plus it has some truly terrible goofs that take you out of the film. I really don't like the narration, I feel it makes the film somewhat boring. It's like a banal history teacher talking at you. I saw the Final Cut first and I'm glad I did.

I don't think the briefcase, for what it is, is a bad deal. It's quite a good one at 55 bucks. I wouldn't call it a money grab either, most of the people who bought it would've gotten if a 5 disc digipak was available. It's just terrible there isn't an option. Warner probably could've made more money if they had it available as I'm sure people would've been willing to upgrade from the 4 to 5 with only about a ten dollar difference.

Last edited by Drop; 12-19-07 at 12:16 PM.
Old 12-19-07, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Drop
Why? By all accounts it's a compromised vision, it's not what the studio wanted and it's not what Scott wanted. Plus it has some truly terrible goofs that take you out of the film. I really don't like the narration, I feel it makes the film somewhat boring. It's like a banal history teacher talking at you. I saw the Final Cut first and I'm glad I did.

I don't think the briefcase, for what it is, is a bad deal. It's quite a good one at 55 bucks. I wouldn't call it a money grab either, most of the people who bought it would've gotten if a 5 disc digipak was available. It's just terrible there isn't an option. Warner probably could've made more money if they had it available as I'm sure people would've been willing to upgrade from the 4 to 5 with only about a ten dollar difference.
Agreed. The version I've seen the most is the Director's Cut, and I saw the Final Cut in the theatre. Last night I watched some of the Theatrical and that narration is farcical. I mean, you can even hear in his voice how silly Ford thought it was that the studio ordered him to do it. I think it's an unusual instance of a later version being far superior to the theatrical (I'm one of those who prefers the original version of Star Wars). In fact, the Final Cut WAS in theatres and could be called theatrical.

On the 4/5 disc issue, I almost decided to hold off buying altogether till the day I upgrade to an HD format cause I'm a completist and want the five discs, but the price difference between the 4-disc and briefcase is more than double.

I don't think the briefcase is a bad thing at all for those who find it cool, and the current discounted price is actually pretty good... my only issue is when I look at the 4-disc set for pennies over 20 bucks and the 5 disc set is almost 60 bucks, the vast difference just doesn't make sense.. of course the packaging and toys aren't a draw for me, just the 5th disc. So, I picked up the 4-disc but that final missing disc will stick in my craw till I upgrade to HD in a few years and buy the thing again anyway..... which is why I'm very strictly cutting back the amount of money I spend on DVD's. I know Bladerunner is something I'll want on HD, so why spend 60 bucks on it now when I'll be re-buying in the future? A 5-disc digipack for 10 (jeez, or even 15) bucks more would have been awesome.

And lest anyone think this is whining or complaining (and I'm not one of those who complains about the trinkets other regions get- I couldn't care less about the trinkets), I'm really not that angry about this. These new releases of Bladerunner are magnificent! The options are great, but could have been perfect if they just skipped the 4-disc and made it 5-disc with or without briefcase like they did with HD and BD. I'm just questioning their decision to go that way. It kind of seems like someone said "Those fat hillbillies who shop at Wal Mart and haven't upgraded to HD yet won't care about the Workprint Cut". Although, I bet really, they know there are some fans out there who don't care for the briefcase and items but will spend the extra money to get the disc, which is unfortunate and cynical.

Last edited by lamphorn; 12-19-07 at 01:48 PM.
Old 12-19-07, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by cardaway
I believe the key point these people are making (myself included) is that the "briefcase" version is the only way to get the 5 disc SD set. Not everybody displays these extras. Many just throw them away or toss them in the closet. In fact, If there was a market I would gladly seell the extras to make up the difference in price.

That's a valid point, they should offer the 5 disc in a digipack, but to say the briefcase set is high priced is absurd.
Old 12-19-07, 01:48 PM

come to england!!!!!!!!!

5 disc tin set for 17.99 thats what? under 40 dollars?
i'm no great fan of the film, i think that not nearly enough actually happens and its a bit of a tame cop thriller but i still know a good set when i see one. and it's still visually stunning. one thing i dont get, when all the hdbluray crap started i thought they were gonna have like 5 dvds worth of content on one disc? instead they flood the market with barebones discs. i really cant see this catching on. superbit anyone?
Old 12-19-07, 02:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by lamphorn
And lest anyone think this is whining or complaining (and I'm not one of those who complains about the trinkets other regions get- I couldn't care less about the trinkets), I'm really not that angry about this.
Another great point. I suspect there are many that are being accused of "bitching and whining" that have never looked at the other region's trinkets as something they wish they had in region 1. In my case, it's quite the opposite. I see things like the Alien head set and hope they don't get that here. I'm not at all interested in paying extra for something like that just to get the disc content.

It's bad enough that studios like Paramount and Universal keep puting out sets with fnacy, but less easily damaged packaging that clearly costs more and affects the cost of those sets. The recent Star Trek TOS set is a joke. Very few are not broken in some way by the time they reach the retailers.
Old 12-19-07, 02:12 PM
Banned

That's a valid point, they should offer the 5 disc in a digipack, but to say the briefcase set is high priced is absurd.
Actually, IMO, it's still quite absurd if one factors how much these extras really cost them to produce vs. the increased MSRP for the briefcase set over the 4 disc version. We're talking some serious markup here simply because there ARE enough people who want them and are willing to pay the higher price because they are big fans.

If anything, it could be said that the lack of a non-briefcase 5 disc set is actually hurting the real fans who want the trinkets. How many are buying that briefcase only because they have to and will stuff those trinkets away in the closet? I know the day I get mine (if the order comes through) the 5 disc digipak will come out and the briefcase will go away. That's one less for somebody who wanted the briefcase, trinkets and all.
Old 12-19-07, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I got my 5 disc HD set in the mail today and it looks fantastic. Although I'd have liked it in a digipack, the five disc case is fine and the shiny artwork looks good. It also fits well on the shelf. Can't wait to watch it.
Old 12-19-07, 03:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cardaway
How many are buying that briefcase only because they have to and will stuff those trinkets away in the closet?
Enough that the studio isn't worried about it. The special package collectors will more than make up for the tightwad (like me) fans that will not spring for the briefcase. The only reason that I got the Blu-Ray briefcase is because I am getting it as a gift for Christmas.

People are always going to wine no matter the situation. The studios can't please everyone. In this case, the studio is making their money and that makes THEM happy.
Old 12-19-07, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Lt Ripley
The studios can't please everyone. In this case, the studio is making their money and that makes THEM happy.
That's true. I didn't care for the briefcase, so Warner Brothers got $24 of my money for the Fantastic 4 Disc CE set. Criterion got $28 for the missing 5th disc & trinkets I don't have.

+
Missing 5th disc:

Old 12-19-07, 04:25 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
Originally Posted by Willh51
I got my 5 disc HD set in the mail today and it looks fantastic. Although I'd have liked it in a digipack, the five disc case is fine and the shiny artwork looks good. It also fits well on the shelf. Can't wait to watch it.
what packaging does the hd set have and why would they change it from the digipak that sd got in the briefcase?
Old 12-19-07, 04:35 PM

In Canada the briefcases are limited to 10,000 copies.

I picked mine up yesterday and it looks fantastic. Very solid and well made. Glad I bought mine.

Looking forward to watching all 5 discs.
Old 12-19-07, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ctyankee
Just a completely illogical argument. What you paid 'back-in-the-day' has zippo to do with current pricing or determining value.

MOST people are not in hi-def yet (not even close). This high price for the BR fan who wants the complete set is nothing more than a money grab. This includes a fan base that is older and many (like myself) not wanting cheap toys. In fact, wanting thin releases that fit well on the shelf with the other DVDs.

Bad decision.
Ok spock,

My point had zlitch to do with using "old school" pricing determining today's price. My point was look at what you get for 50 bucks. In a world where MOST things have gone WAY up in price, movie collecting has gone down. Hell most dvd's cost less to collect than VHS ever did.

I can understand the frustration with not getting the 5th disc if you are still using SD and don't want the briefcase. But people where saying the briefcase was a rip-off, hence my point about what it "used" to cost. I was not comparing the formats. I was comparing what you got for your money.

I wonder of Criterion would have released a 5 disc BladeRunner in a slipcase for 60 bucks if so many people would have been bitching?

This probably wouldn't even be an issue if the BR/HD non briefcase sets didn't have the 5th disc.

I got the HD DVD briefcase for 55 bucks. I couldn't be happier, and I feel for those who feel "ripped" off.
Old 12-19-07, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by ctyankee
Just a completely illogical argument. What you paid 'back-in-the-day' has zippo to do with current pricing or determining value.

MOST people are not in hi-def yet (not even close). This high price for the BR fan who wants the complete set is nothing more than a money grab. This includes a fan base that is older and many (like myself) not wanting cheap toys. In fact, wanting thin releases that fit well on the shelf with the other DVDs.

Bad decision.
I'd be curious if this constant bickering back and forth about pricing and what constitutes logical reasoning for argumentation would end if the studio released the 4 disc SD set for $50.

Realistically, this thread is a frigging downer. I'd rather hear about the sheer awesomeness of this "major" release for one of the best science fiction films ever created.
Old 12-19-07, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just think people have been spoiled with 5 dollar bins. I am a beliver in Value, but when a 5 disc set runs less than 50 bucks ( Especially when the something like the 2 disc POTC sets are going for 29.99) I find it hard to complain.

This is hands down one of the best sets EVER made, and is something that has been RUMORED to be in the works for almost a decade. We are finally getting it, and what do some do? They find it's flaws...

Some people just love to bitch.

with that said, I'm done with this subject, I've got 5 discs to watch!
Old 12-19-07, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by ScissorPuppy
I am a beliver in Value ..
Who isn't? I would have loved to get the briefcase release for a similar price as the 4-discer, without question. I don't have the disposable income to throw 50 bucks .. or even $20 at every release that comes my way without concern. But, and a big but at that, I am perfectly willing to trade off a few other DVDs for the most complete release of one of my favorite films ever made, period ... especially considering the wait.

This is hands down one of the best sets EVER made, and is something that has been RUMORED to be in the works for almost a decade. We are finally getting it, and what do some do? They find it's flaws...
If the briefcase weren't cheap plastic I would fully, and I do mean fully agree. I would go as far as to say it would have been arguably (yeah, loaded adverb usage) the best edition ever for an American release. It would have covered both the film purist's and the collector's dreams combined. The UK releases of both the Matrix and the James Bond attache sets were far more realistic.

Considering my thoughts on the case design, I may actually try to sell it on the aftermarket to recoup some of the cost.

Otherwise, on your parting sentence .... most definitely!!
Old 12-19-07, 06:28 PM
Banned

I wonder of Criterion would have released a 5 disc BladeRunner in a slipcase for 60 bucks if so many people would have been bitching?
Given their price structure, more like $150. Thankfully Warner was in charge instead.

I just think people have been spoiled with 5 dollar bins. I am a beliver in Value, but when a 5 disc set runs less than 50 bucks ( Especially when the something like the 2 disc POTC sets are going for 29.99) I find it hard to complain.

Some people just love to bitch.
I haven't seen one person in this thread knock the quality and the discs themselves. As for the price comparison, you're correct, and all people have been saying is that they wish we would have had a choice to buy a 5 disc non-briefcase version at around $30.
Old 12-19-07, 06:30 PM
Suspended

I just bought the 4-disc edition and was very disappointed to find that disc 4 does not contain the advertised chapter/featurette on the "DVD Restoration". The only thing on the subject is the 30-min documentary on disc 5, which is, of course, not part of the 4-disc set.

Last edited by baracine; 12-20-07 at 09:06 AM.
Old 12-19-07, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would be willing to pay someone 20.00 for the briefcase and toys.
Old 12-19-07, 07:39 PM

As I have posted before I bought a SD briefcase from BB and it didnt have the letter/picture plastic sheet. I just noticed the slipcover doesnt identify that there should even be a letter/picture thing. Im gonna send a email to warner and see what they say.
Old 12-19-07, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by UngersPride
In Canada the briefcases are limited to 10,000 copies.

I picked mine up yesterday and it looks fantastic. Very solid and well made. Glad I bought mine.

Looking forward to watching all 5 discs.
Same here.I very rarely go with any deluxe/special editions but im very happy i did with Blade Runner

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.