Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 3rd Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 3rd Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-07, 07:19 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
I've taken the "extra stats" list that some of you have been using and added a few essentials (IMHO). I'll paste it below if any of you are interested, or you have anything to add.

Watch one film from every decade, starting with the 1890's.
--- 1890:
--- 1900:
--- 1910:
--- 1920:
--- 1930:
--- 1940:
--- 1950:
--- 1960:
--- 1970:
--- 1980:
--- 1990:
--- 2000:

--- Watch films in at least two languages other than English.

--- Watch the MST3K version of a horror film.

--- Watch a film and its remake.

--- Watch a film based on a video game.

--- Watch a film based on a novel.

--- Watch a film directed by Uwe Boll.

--- Watch a film which won an Academy Award -- any category.

--- Watch a silent horror film

--- Watch a Criterion version horror film.

--- Watch a film with commentary.

--- Watch a film and at least two sequels.

Watch a film in each of the following horror subgenres:
--- Vampire
--- Frankenstein
--- Werewolf
--- Mummy
--- Ghost/haunting
--- Witchcraft/satanic/religious
--- Zombie
--- Slasher/psycho/homicidal maniac
--- Monster/creature feature
--- Documentary
--- Musical
--- Spoof

Watch a film starring:
--- Bela Lugosi
--- Lon Chaney Sr.
--- Lon Chaney Jr.
--- Boris Karloff
--- Vincent Price
--- Christopher Lee
--- Jamie Lee Curtis
--- Bruce Campbell

(* - First Time Viewings)

Last edited by Trevor; 10-03-07 at 10:41 AM.
Old 10-01-07, 08:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I started a little bit past midinight. I heated my chicken lo-mien and and put in hatchet.

Good movie start of with. lots of killing with blood and guts. reminds me of the 80's slasher films. plenty of nudity too. the killer reminds a cross between the toxic avenger and the people of the hill have eyes. he just kills people in way the wont comeback. I recommend this

Also I watched open water 2..now i dont know if this goes with the competition..i didnt see sharks.

does open water 2 count people?
Old 10-01-07, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by DEEveeDEE3
does open water 2 count people?
It is listed as a Thriller on IMDB. Didn't we say that thrillers count?
Old 10-01-07, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts
What about animation like-He Man,Defenders of the Earth ,Batfink and Milton the Monster?Would one disc equal one movie?
Old 10-01-07, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
The idea was that they be features. The unfortunate side effect of the 40 minute rule is that it invites confusion. TV shows, for the most part, don't count. Exceptions are anthology shows, such as Masters of Horror, Twilight Zone (the hour ones), etc. In other words, shows that don't have recurring characters. Quite a few Twilight Zone, Outer Limits, etc. are actually adaptations of existing short stories.

All of those animations listed are tv shows with recurring characters and don't count. You can apply them towards your Wild Card, however. They must be Horror related, though.
Old 10-01-07, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Twilight Zone and Outer Limits were basically sci-fi shows so I don't see the horror element in them.But I guess the line between Sci-fi and horror is sometimes hard to distinguish.
Old 10-01-07, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Since I have (2) tvs in my living room can you watch (2) movies at a time?One movie with the volume turned up and the other with sub-titles?
Old 10-01-07, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
Since I have (2) tvs in my living room can you watch (2) movies at a time?One movie with the volume turned up and the other with sub-titles?
I'm sure you're being sarcastic, but I think that is taking it a bit too far.

The point is to actually watch the movies. Not just have them play, not have them as background noise, but to actually watch them. I don't think you can watch more than one movie at a time and count them both for something like this.

Anyone agree?
Old 10-01-07, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts
Seeing as I had to be at work at 6:30 this morning, was already in bed by midnight, so didn't get an early start. After I got homenight though, I'm kicking my challenge off with Christine. Stephen King, and John Carpenter, how can you go wrong?
Old 10-01-07, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Would Bug count as horror?
Old 10-01-07, 12:10 PM

Do you guys think I could use the entire first season of Are You Afraid Of The Dark as a wild card entry? (obviously the whole season would count as one movie - 13 episodes/325 min)

I only ask because I got it in the mail a couple of days ago and have been watching all it all day while I have my long break in between classes.
Old 10-01-07, 12:49 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Im in
Old 10-01-07, 12:54 PM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by haleyxvader
Do you guys think I could use the entire first season of Are You Afraid Of The Dark as a wild card entry? (obviously the whole season would count as one movie - 13 episodes/325 min)
Saw that on your list. Wow, my hat's off to you.
Originally Posted by Abe.
Would Bug count as horror?
IMDB is your friend.
Old 10-01-07, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
for once i have a reason to work long ass hours at my job with nothing to do.
4 down 96 more to go.
Old 10-01-07, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor

The point is to actually watch the movies. Not just have them play, not have them as background noise, but to actually watch them. I don't think you can watch more than one movie at a time and count them both for something like this.

Anyone agree?
Totally agree, besides that scenario doesn't sound too enjoyable.

Last edited by OwlAtHome; 10-01-07 at 03:51 PM.
Old 10-01-07, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
How was Twilight Zone a sci-fi show? It had nothing to do with science. It was a horror show because the people on the show were being put in realities they didn't know or something. Some of the shows revolved around science, but overall I would not consider that show a sci-fi show.

Regardless of the fact that the show it on the SCI-FI channel.
Old 10-01-07, 04:51 PM
Banned

I think some people are too worried about volume, instead of the spirit of the challege, which is to set aside time to enjoy horror movies, however many you watch.
Old 10-01-07, 04:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FusionX
I think some people are too worried about volume, instead of the spirit of the challege, which is to set aside time to enjoy horror movies, however many you watch.
Amen.

I only watched around 20 movies last year and I had a blast.
Old 10-01-07, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
The 40 minute rule was pretty much implemented to allow in Masters of Horror and other TV shows as there is no such thing as a 40 minute theatrical movie despite the academy rule (and that's only the American and British academies. French academy and S.A.G. both count longer running time as feature only). If Masters of Horror counts, there's no logical reason that other anthology shows don't count. You can't pop in episodes of X-Files. Anthology shows are each self contained stories with non-recurring characters. You are encouraged to not abuse them, though. If you load up your list with tons of 40 minute TV episodes, even though they are eligible, it is basically cheating. This is a Horror Movie challenge, not a Horror TV challenge. We know you probably invested some cash in those TV season sets, but the idea is to just intersperse them in there. I can't see having more than one or so a day for the length of the challenge. If you end up with 31 movies and your list is pretty much all 40 minute TV episodes, then why did you bother? It is against the spirit of the challenge to watch TV episodes instead of actual movies.

As to the specific shows, obviously you have to pick the Horror episodes that are interspersed amongst the Sci-Fi ones. Outer Limits was a Monster show. While some episodes were purely Science Fiction, there were some that were meant the scare the viewer. Pick those. Just not too many.

Concerning Are You Afraid of the Dark. You can count up to three as wild cards, but you only have three wild cards. You can watch as many as you want, they just won't count. Everyone is allowed to watch what you want (I watch the new Star Trek TOS Remastered every week, now), you just can't count it toward the list unless it is eligible. Now the nice thing about Horror is the movies tend to be short. It's not too much of a burden to watch a quick TV show in between movies even if they don't count.

Last edited by caligulathegod; 10-01-07 at 06:53 PM. Reason: (Edited for a redundancy)
Old 10-01-07, 05:21 PM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts
Nicely stated, caligulathegod.

Next year I'll propose excluding Masters of Horror, just because it leads to too many other "does X count" television questions. As you and FusionX have said, it's about watching and enjoying lots of horror movies. As I see it, I have 11 months out of the year to watch my TV sets; October is different.
Old 10-01-07, 05:54 PM

The problem is, Masters of Horror isn't a frigging TV series. It was created as a series of stand alone movies intended to buy into the growing direct to dvd market. A long ways down the road, Showtime offered to air them before their dvd release. It's no different than when Sci-fi Channel shows crap like Species 4 before their dvd release. It annoys me that everyone's blaming Masters of Horror for excluding other television shows.
Old 10-01-07, 05:59 PM
Banned

I also think MOH should remain part of the challenge, they run an hour and are all inclusive and I have a lot of older horror movies that run 63-65 min. I think MOH should be the only non-wildcard show allowed.
Old 10-01-07, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Please take the time to read the first and second posts if you haven't done so already! Many of these questions have already been addressed there.

Originally Posted by caligulathegod
The idea was that they be features. The unfortunate side effect of the 40 minute rule is that it invites confusion. TV shows, for the most part, don't count. Exceptions are anthology shows, such as Masters of Horror, Twilight Zone (the hour ones), etc. In other words, shows that don't have recurring characters. Quite a few Twilight Zone, Outer Limits, etc. are actually adaptations of existing short stories.
Sorry, The Twilight Zone series, The Outer Limits, etc. don't count unless used as a wild card option. Anthology series or not, they're still TV shows. Masters of Horror entries are movies. Everyone may not agree, but that's how they were conceived. See dcrw6's post above.

Originally Posted by Trevor

Anyone agree?
Well, of course. Unless you're one half of a conjoined twin I'd say that's considered cheating.
Old 10-01-07, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by caligulathegod
Concerning Are You Afraid of the Dark. You can count up to three as wild cards, but you only have three wild cards. You can watch as many as you want, they just won't count. Everyone is allowed to watch what you want (I watch the new remastered Star Trek TOS Remastered every week, now), you just can't count it toward the list unless it is eligible. Now the nice thing about Horror is the movies tend to be short. It's not too much of a burden to watch a quick TV show in between movies even if they don't count.
I basically counted the whole series as one movie on my list (which in length is equal to about three horror movies), and I used one of my wild cards for it.

Im not trying to cheat the challenge, its about fun, and I had a BLAST watching these old episodes/stories, it brought back so many memories of being terrified when I was little, and this show basically started my addiction to horror films.

VIVA AYAOTD
Old 10-01-07, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Shouldn't both these threads be sticky?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.