Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 3rd Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 3rd Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-07, 12:27 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
even though it's three hours - I've eagerly awaiting to watch Kwaidan

other films:

- Mario Bava films in the Collection boxes, notably the commentary track on 'Bay of Blood'
- Tombs of the Blind Dead series
- Puppet Master series
- Let's Scare Jessica to Death
- a couple of H.G. Lewis films including 'Gore Gore Girls' / '2001 Maniacs'
- One Dark Night - haven't seen this in ages, but I'm looking forward to hearing the commentary track

is 'The Boogeyman' on DVD - I'm for some reason not finding it on Netflix.

Last edited by Giles; 09-20-07 at 01:14 PM.
Old 09-20-07, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Originally Posted by Giles
even though it's three hours - I've eagerly awaiting to watch Kwaidan
Hey, I asked this earlier in the month but it got lost in a sea of replies:

Which version is recommended for a first time viewing? I've noticed the region R2/R4 versions have the longer 183min cut, the Criterion "international" version runs at around 161 minutes, and TCM is showing the (theatrical?) cut of 125 minutes. I guess I'm essentially asking what the preferred version is.
Old 09-20-07, 01:12 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Chad
Hey, I asked this earlier in the month but it got lost in a sea of replies:

Which version is recommended for a first time viewing? I've noticed the region R2/R4 versions have the longer 183min cut, the Criterion "international" version runs at around 161 minutes, and TCM is showing the (theatrical?) cut of 125 minutes. I guess I'm essentially asking what the preferred version is.
I really don't know how to respond to your question as to the 'preferred version'

but, I just bought the import Masters of Cinema UK DVD version that is the 183min version.
Old 09-20-07, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by RobCA
BTW, I'm assuming horror-related comedies count? The Addams Family movies, Beetlejuice, etc. I counted them last year, I assume it was okay to?

Rob
What an oppressive, depressing challenge this would be if we couldn't. If Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein counts (and I'll riot if it doesn't) then those should count. Cross-genre films are allowed. As long as they are intrinsically horror-related. A single scene with characters trick-or-treating *cough-ET-cough* is not enough.
Old 09-20-07, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Well I'm definitely in again. I was aiming for 31, but two weeks of moving threw a kink into that plan and I ended with 8. On the plus side 7 of those were new viewings for me, and I finished tied for 58th.

I'm setting my goal for 31 again. 1 a day maybe double up on the weekend if I miss a day, should be easy right? 1 of mine will be Document of the Dead, I've always wanted to see it, but never got a hold of the laserdisc version, realized I have it on Dawn of the Dead Ultimate Edition.
Old 09-20-07, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Giles
- a couple of H.G. Lewis films including 'Gore Gore Girls' / '2001 Maniacs'

is 'The Boogeyman' on DVD - I'm for some reason not finding it on Netflix.
boogey man is on dvd i just actually bought it recently at hollywood video for like 3$

and i looked up those two movies i recently saw 2001 maniacs on tv but didnt know the name and loved it looks like ill have to order those two.
Old 09-20-07, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
I've been picking up a lot of exploitation horror titles from a buddy of mine who is really into that stuff. Aside from those, my biggest plans are to get through the second series of Masters of Horror and to check out a lot of the latest DTV titles. I watched most of the big movies last year and am not in a rush to revisit them. Instead, I might re-watch some of the titles I've watched in the months since the last challenge ended. Stuff like Behind the Mask and some of the After Dark flicks.
Old 09-21-07, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I'm a huge horror fan, always have been and always do watch a ton of horror film in particular around October and Halloween, so this seems like something worth a try. How do I sign up? I nearly tried the last couple years, but I thought you had to try to watch particular things at particular times, and I just don't like having to conform my spare time in to such a rigid structure.

Sign me up this year though, and I'll try to keep track of what I watch.

Got a few questions about what counts:?

Tales From The Crypt episodes
Underworld and Underworld Evolution
The Crow (original)
Private Eyes (Tim Conway/Don Knotts comedy with horror themes?)
John Carpenter's The Thing

Also does any featurette/documentary about a horror film on DVD count as long as it's at least 40 mins? What about documentaries on real life serial killers and such?

Thanks

Last edited by stonecountry; 09-21-07 at 05:37 PM.
Old 09-21-07, 05:40 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts
Stonecountry, all the rules are back in the first couple of posts.

TV shows don't count, so no Crypt. I think all the others you query should count.
Old 09-21-07, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by stonecountry
Well I'm a huge horror fan, always have been and always do watch a ton of horror film in particular around October and Halloween, so this seems like something worth a try. How do I sign up? I nearly tried the last couple years, but I thought you had to try to watch particular things at particular times, and I just don't like having to conform my spare time in to such a rigid structure.

Sign me up this year though, and I'll try to keep track of what I watch.

Got a few questions about what counts:?

Tales From The Crypt episodes
Underworld and Underworld Evolution
The Crow (original)
Private Eyes (Tim Conway/Don Knotts comedy with horror themes?)
John Carpenter's The Thing

Also does any featurette/documentary about a horror film on DVD count as long as it's at least 40 mins? What about documentaries on real life serial killers and such?

Thanks
I watched Private Eyes during last year's challenge. It's not ezactly a horror movie but more of a parody but I figure since Young Frankenstein is acceptale then all or most other horror parodies should be as well.
Old 09-21-07, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by OwlAtHome
I figure since Young Frankenstein is acceptable then all or most other horror parodies should be as well.
I certainly hope so. I plan on firing up Student Bodies this year.
Old 09-22-07, 03:52 PM
Cool New Member

The rest of September is positively crawling by. Dang
Old 09-22-07, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Entropy
The rest of September is positively crawling by. Dang
I know what you mean. I have a break from school until October 1 and I'm sitting here trying not to watch any horror movies early. I ended up dipping into the money I was saving for Deepdiscount's sale and bought a 360 and some games to pass the time. (Of course, now I'm looking at it and think "Well, there's about $800 that could've gone to Deepdiscount". Dammit)
Old 09-22-07, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by NoirFan
I certainly hope so. I plan on firing up Student Bodies this year.
I've never seen it all the way through. I plan on doing so this year.

And yes, September seems to be dragging. The funny thing is... I've been very busy so I would think that it would go by faster.
Old 09-22-07, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Has anyone got a decently priced VHS of Student Bodies they could sell or trade me? I'd like to watch that one this coming month too if I could get a copy, but it's pretty obscure. I know some are on ebay, but with the way ebay is theses days, I might not get a good quality copy at all much less in time. If somebody can hook me up, e-mail me at [email protected] and we'll work something out.

Got a few more questions about things that count too.....there's been a big descrepency amongst many horror fans concerning what I suppose are mostly known as psychological thrillers or often just flat out serial killer thrillers being labeled horror. Granted, the slasher genre is pretty much all about serial killers, but there's generally a much more obvious genre approach to most of those movies than the majority of what I'd call thrillers.

Would these be considered horror?:

Silence of the Lambs (...or just Any of the Hannibal Lector Series)
Memories of Murder
Seven
Fallen
From Hell (Johnny Depp)
Identity
The Hitcher
Dressed to Kill (and just about any Good Brian DePalma movie about a killer)
...what about just any whodunnit killer thriller?....like Green for Danger or any Agatha Christie based thing like Ten Little Indians, etc.
They Live (more sci-fi, but so is The Thing in a way, and they're both John Carpenter flicks from his Hayday)

Then there's Hitchcock...Which of his films count? Pretty much all his movies are "thrillers", but the only ones I'd personally consider being also in the realms of horror are Psycho and The Birds....are there others?

Fox is releasing a Classic Horror Box set of 3 films that are considered by many people to all be film noir thrillers. The 1944 version of the Lodger is in this set. Hithcock did a 1927 (I believe it was) version of this same story as a silent film...so does that count as horror? I believe another version of this same story was done in the 50's as well with Jack Palance called Man in the Attic (which I think is on a Midnite Movies double feature now). So If you count even one, wouldn't all of those count?

I don't mean to overthink things, I just want to try to keep things in perspective.

Last edited by stonecountry; 09-23-07 at 11:55 AM.
Old 09-23-07, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 377 Likes on 236 Posts
Having not yet participated in a challenge, I'm beginning to wonder which is more fun...the challenge itself or just getting psyched up for it. It's been great making a list and preparing for the clock to strike midnight on October 1st.
Old 09-23-07, 05:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Then there's Hitchcock...Which of his films count? Pretty much all his movies are "thrillers", but the only ones I'd personally consider being also in the realms of horror are Psycho and The Birds....are there others?
i was thinking about his stuff as well..along with the 2 you mentioned i think maybe frenzy could also be considered since it deals with a serial killer. i'm not sure though.
Old 09-23-07, 08:09 AM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts
I don't mean to overthink things, I just want to try to keep things in perspective.
Too late!

Seriously, there are some guidelines in post #1. Other than that, IMDB categories are a good guide (or any other good reference). Most of your list is listed as horror there.
Old 09-23-07, 08:57 AM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

Looking forward to this and will be surfing thru Netflix again later to add movies to the list. I have a 4 out at a time membership, so should be able to surpass the 29 I managed last year, along with the ones I already have in my copllection that have yet to be watched or are due a rewatching.

Also pleased to hear that the MOH series is allowed like last year because I aim to pick up the box set in honor of this contest.

October is going to be a fun (and scary) month
Old 09-23-07, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
One week from tomorrow everyone! I can't wait!
Old 09-23-07, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by The Monkees
One week from tomorrow everyone! I can't wait!
I'm planning on staying up a bit late that first day just to get an early start. I work that Monday 8am-5pm so I may as well get used to not sleeping,lol.
Old 09-23-07, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm chomping at the bit to start this. Well, that, and I need a break from watching TV shows, trying to get through my unwatched DVDs. I just noticed this challenge starts at midnight Eastern time... I should be able to knock off a couple of old Universal films before I go to bed Sunday night.

Rob
Old 09-23-07, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you are looking for Horror movie ideas, there are three different 50-movie sets at DDD for less than $18 each (just enter "Horror" into the search bar).

Surely there are going to be a lot of movies seen by different people, it would be nice to see what the consensus is on those movies. Thus, it would be a great idea if we could come up with a rating system and somehow compile the different ratings. Something like a scale of 1 to 5.

Any interest?

Last edited by Heat; 09-23-07 at 09:50 PM.
Old 09-23-07, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Heat
If you are looking for Horror movie ideas, there are three different 50-movie sets at DDD for less than $18 each (just enter "Horror" into the search bar).

Surely there are going to be a lot of movies seen by different people, it would be nice to see what the consensus is on those movies. Thus, it would be a great idea if we could come up with a rating system and somehow compile the different ratings. Something like a scale of 1 to 5.

Any interest?
I'd be up for ratings...particularly for newer things. Classics are classics, some people like them more or less, but we can mostly agree on what they are.

Those same 50 Movie sets are about $20 if you can find them at Best Buy and are about $16 at Amazon right now. I've got a couple of them. The thing you've got to know is most of the movies in those sets aren't great quality. It's essentially like getting old vhs tapes from a video store, transferring them to DVD, and then watching them with old vhs quality on your DVD player. However, I grew up on this sort of quality, so I can stand it every now and then. I've still got a bunch of old VHS anyway.
Old 09-23-07, 10:48 PM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Heat
Most of those movies are in the public domain, so I'll put in another plug for these sites:
Internet Archive
Public Domain Torrents
They're a great way to download lots of classics in whatever format you want, from iPod to DVD. I find The Internet Archive a faster download than Public Domain Torrents, but they're both pretty good. I've acquired about 30-40 movies in anticipation of the Challenge, most of which will be first-time views for me.

Any interest?
I think some people did this last year; some even did one-line reviews of everything they watched. I'd suggest also starting discussions in this thread about any new discoveries people make.

[200 posts already, and we still have a week to go!]

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.