Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 3rd Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 3rd Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Old 09-17-07, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by zombiefistfight
I've been lurking for a while and I registerred just to join in on this. I've been keeping myself from watching any horror movies just to get myself ready and keep from getting burned out.
Yeah, i'm getting urge to watch horror movies too. I have watched a few in the last month though. Trying not to watch anymore until October. I know by the end of the month last year, I wanted a break.
Old 09-17-07, 04:53 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 675 Likes on 451 Posts
What's the verdict on borderline movies like Snakes on a Plane or Starship Troopers that would be mostly another genre but have some elements of horror. Do these count or is it a grey enough area that I should just avoid movies like these so there is no need for debate?
As explained in post one, no need for debate unless you really want it. If you want to count it, count it. As long as it is close, no one is going to chastise you.
Old 09-17-07, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Originally Posted by Shack
To add a little spin to the challenge, and borrowing a bit from last year's checklist, here's one for this year:

SNIP
Added to post #2 for easier access.

Originally Posted by Trevor & Darth Maher
Anyone own any of those Horror 50 movie packs? Any recommendations/advice?

As for those 50 packs, I was wondering the same thing. I've just recently gotten into some of the older (not so popular) movies so one of these would be cool to own. I also welcome recommendations/advice.
No clue, but there's a good thread over at HorrorDVDs that comments on several of the "budget packs" including those.

Last edited by Chad; 09-18-07 at 06:03 PM.
Old 09-17-07, 06:27 PM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts
What's the verdict on borderline movies like Snakes on a Plane or Starship Troopers that would be mostly another genre but have some elements of horror. Do these count or is it a grey enough area that I should just avoid movies like these so there is no need for debate?
zombiefistfight (love the name, by the way), I always look at the genre listings on IMDB to help for those crossover titles. There's usually a long list, and if it includes horror, or something close, it should count. There are a few other websites that are handy for reference too.

Originally Posted by trevor
Just wanted to make sure, don't think I saw it in the rules post at the top, but MST3K versions count, right?

Just as one of course, even if you watch it non-Misty as well, like commentaries.
Yeah, I think this was discussed last year and they're allowed -- of course the movie being featured has to be horror. Many of those films are not available elsewhere, so you can't find the regular versions easily anyway.

Last edited by Shack; 09-17-07 at 06:31 PM.
Old 09-17-07, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chad. I"m def in for passing off the 4 I mentioned however you see fit, just let me know the winner(s) come time. They're not great, but it's better then nothing, and it's in the name of a fun contest.

Can you delete item #3 or #6 from your list since they're duplicates. Thanks.
Old 09-17-07, 11:03 PM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
How does this work on 100 Years of Horror. It's a very long documentary, would the whole thing count as one, or would each indvidual "episode" or "part" count as one each?
Old 09-18-07, 08:34 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I've been lurking for a while and I registerred just to join in on this. I've been keeping myself from watching any horror movies just to get myself ready and keep from getting burned out. I'm aiming for 100 but we'll see how things play out.

'Starship Troopers' - I'd qualify that as Sci-Fi action - where's the horror you speak of??
Old 09-18-07, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Giles
'Starship Troopers' - I'd qualify that as Sci-Fi action - where's the horror you speak of??
eh... it is fairly gory. I love gore and have a fairly strong stomach for it, but I almost felt ill after watching it.
Old 09-18-07, 10:36 AM

I accept this challenge. I predict I will start out strong and lose interest as Halloween nears. I'll try not to do that, though.
Old 09-18-07, 12:31 PM

Well, I just found out about this nifty challenge thing, and since I watched nine horror movies last weekend while working on assorted projects (The Abominable Dr. Phibes, Dr. Phibes Rises Again, Theater of Blood, Count Yorga, The Crawling Eye, The Flesh Eaters, The Prowler, The Night Stalker, & the Night Strangler), I think I'm up to it. Plus, it'll help me work through my backlog of unwatched DVDs.
Old 09-18-07, 01:05 PM
Cool New Member

reached 103 last year hope I can make it that far again this year
Old 09-18-07, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by Giles
Starship Troopers 2 is more in the horror genre than the first movie. IMDB is usually a good place to check this.
Old 09-18-07, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by wishbon3
Starship Troopers 2 is more in the horror genre than the first movie. IMDB is usually a good place to check this.
From imdb:
Starship Troopers (1997)
Genre:Action / Adventure / Sci-Fi / Thriller
Starship Troopers 2: Hero of the Federation (2004)
Genre:Horror / Action / Adventure / Sci-Fi

Last edited by Darth Maher; 09-18-07 at 02:45 PM.
Old 09-18-07, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
Starship Troopers is borderline. It's no ET, though. Don't forget, cross-genre films are allowed. We were generally counting giant bug movies in with horror, as the science fiction is just the excuse for the premise. The giant bugs are meant to be horrific. I lean towards inclusion rather than exclusion and there's quite a bit of horrific-ness in it.

Last edited by caligulathegod; 09-19-07 at 10:27 PM.
Old 09-18-07, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Originally Posted by SpaceBoy
Chad. I"m def in for passing off the 4 I mentioned however you see fit, just let me know the winner(s) come time. They're not great, but it's better then nothing, and it's in the name of a fun contest.
Much appreciated. And it's totally up to you on how you wanna go about giving 'em away. But again, there's absolutely no rush and we'll have plenty of time to come up with something when it's over.

Originally Posted by The Monkees
How does this work on 100 Years of Horror. It's a very long documentary, would the whole thing count as one, or would each indvidual "episode" or "part" count as one each?
The whole thing only counts as one. Although, this particular horror documentary allows for an exception:

The two-hour condensed version.
Old 09-19-07, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Holy cow. This thread is 7 pages long already and we're only a little over half-way through September. Should there be a new thread JUST for list discussion once the challenge has started?

I just realized that the discussion thread from last year is 31 pages. How fitting.
Old 09-19-07, 09:54 PM

I've been saving up a ton of horror discs all summer long, so I'm primed and ready to go 10/1. My goal last year was a measly 20, so I'm hoping to top that by at least 10 this time around.

The only things that could hold me back are 1) I have to take the multistate professional responsibility exam (a portion of the bar exam) in early November and 2) I have to work on my thesis (a graduation req.) for law school...
Old 09-19-07, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
As the days pass, I'm getting a bit more excited about this. I've been stockpiling horror flicks for the past few weeks and there are quite a few I'm really looking forward to watching.
Old 09-20-07, 12:49 AM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
I've been watching commentaries and documentaries to avoid watching any of my movies.
Old 09-20-07, 08:42 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by The Monkees
I've been watching commentaries and documentaries to avoid watching any of my movies.
I agree I've been watching some featurettes and other extras on my 'horror' discs.
Old 09-20-07, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 374 Likes on 235 Posts
Hey, isn't October when we set the clocks back an hour at some point? Well, with that extra time I'm thinking I might give this a shot!
Old 09-20-07, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cardsfan111
Hey, isn't October when we set the clocks back an hour at some point? Well, with that extra time I'm thinking I might give this a shot!
Nope, it's the first weekend in November.

I'm really looking forward to this challenge, can't wait to get started.

Rob
Old 09-20-07, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by cardsfan111
I think they pushed the setting the clocks ahead to the first week in November.
Old 09-20-07, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i signed up for hollywood videos unlimited rentals so i decided i wanna watch 2 new horror movies for everyone i own and seen... with it getting close im curious to see if any of yall have lists of movies your planning on starting with? mainly looking for reccomendations to look for.

my starting list
Masters of Horror season 1 volume 1: havent seen any of these yet
House of 1000 Corpses
Devils Rejects
The Stuff
Sublime
Sleepaway Camp

thats mainly what im starting with..i love b movie horror and would love some reccomendations here to stay away from the ultra terrible stuff
Old 09-20-07, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by terrycloth
with it getting close im curious to see if any of yall have lists of movies your planning on starting with? mainly looking for reccomendations to look for.
I set up a filter in my DVDSpot collection, so I can keep track of which ones I still need to watch, and to make sure I don't forget any too. Hope it helps.

BTW, I'm assuming horror-related comedies count? The Addams Family movies, Beetlejuice, etc. I counted them last year, I assume it was okay to?

Rob

Last edited by RobCA; 09-20-07 at 11:06 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.