Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 3rd Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 3rd Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Old 10-14-07, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 118 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
How many people were there for each year, including this year so far? Counting the people that had lists of course.

Did you know that at least 3 people watched Sleepaway Camp 2 last Friday? What are the odds of that?

Iit was on MonstersHD, thats might be why
Old 10-14-07, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

oops i was beat to the point
Old 10-14-07, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
Fine idea. Glad I helped to inspire you. Now, shouldn't you be off adding more movies to your list or something?

If you do win this year, you might as well put an asterisk next to your signature since you've got more than a few doubters amongst us. Bask in your obviously hard-earned victory, champ!

So true.... I still might win. I plan on writing down every horror movie I've ever seen and including them.
Old 10-14-07, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by edwardnortonfan
I started at 2 AM last night/this morning when people left my house and I haven't slept yet. Caffeine is my friend.

I can list the running times and show how I fit them all in if people want, I don't mind, I just have to hunt them all down since some of them were on a website for free watching and not on DVD.
I have no doubt you can show me, which means you wouldn't by lying, but I'd still like to see it.

IMBD has a running time for all those movies coming in at 18.25 hours and this is counting the r-rated versions of movies, not the longer uncut ones.

If you started at 2am and your last edit to your list was at about 1:30pm, I would like to learn how to fit 18.25 hours of movies into 11.5 hours.

I haven't watched any of those movies for my list yet, so if there's a way to do it in that time, I'd like to give it a shot.
Old 10-14-07, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brain that Wouldn't Die - the site says 82 minutes, but I clocked it at 75, so from 2:00 AM-3:15 AM

Two Evil Eyes - 3:15-5:05

Ju-On 2 - 5:05-6:21

The Grudge 2 - 6:21 - 7:45

Last Man on Earth - 7:45 - 9 AM

Stay Alive - 9 AM - 10:20

Gamera: Guardian - 10:20 - 11:50

Dead Silence - 11:50 - 1:15

Halloween - 1:15 - 2:35

Halloween 2 - 2:35 - 3:50

Halloween 3 - 3:50 - 5:15

Halloween 4 - 5:15 - present

Now while I've been watching I've gone pee a few times and updated my list, and yes, I listed Halloween 4 even though I'm not done with it yet, and I have gone into the kitchenette to get food (the TV is clearly visible from there) and grabbed chips and such for snacks, but I've been watching movies all day. Such is life when I have 3 days off and no life to speak of.
Old 10-14-07, 05:33 PM

I have no doubt you can show me, which means you wouldn't by lying, but I'd still like to see it.

IMBD has a running time for all those movies coming in at 18.25 hours and this is counting the r-rated versions of movies, not the longer uncut ones.

If you started at 2am and your last edit to your list was at about 1:30pm, I would like to learn how to fit 18.25 hours of movies into 11.5 hours.

I haven't watched any of those movies for my list yet, so if there's a way to do it in that time, I'd like to give it a shot.
I checked IMDB too to get running times for the schedule I just posted, but I know some of the times have to be off because my DVD case for Halloweens 2 and 3 (2 disc set) has different times listed than IMDB, plus I know the times don't seem to add up to me either, but I fit them in, I don't know if they count end credits or what and that's why their times don't match, I just blindly remember getting up and switching DVDs and stopping to cue up the movies online. I don't think I'll be cramming like this again because my brain is really fuzzy right now so some of the times might not be exact, but I remember vaguely what the clock said when I put the movies in because I was racing to see how many I could cram (also I had an itinerary planned, so when I added some to the list I hadn't started watching them yet, they were just the ones I have planned, but I might take a break after Halloween 5 and get some sleep because I'm starting to crash).
Old 10-14-07, 05:38 PM
Banned

Fine idea. Glad I helped to inspire you. Now, shouldn't you be off adding more movies to your list or something?

If you do win this year, you might as well put an asterisk next to your signature since you've got more than a few doubters amongst us. Bask in your obviously hard-earned victory, champ!
Thanks, man. I appreciate it. I promise to dedicate my signature to you if I win. No inspiration needed though, some of us have a genuine love for horror and just enjoy watching!

On a side note, is this the first year sour apples have called foul? Did the first two years run without a hitch or claims from the overwhelmed of false list reporting?
Old 10-14-07, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by edwardnortonfan
I checked IMDB too to get running times for the schedule I just posted, but I know some of the times have to be off because my DVD case for Halloweens 2 and 3 (2 disc set) has different times listed than IMDB, plus I know the times don't seem to add up to me either, but I fit them in, I don't know if they count end credits or what and that's why their times don't match, I just blindly remember getting up and switching DVDs and stopping to cue up the movies online. I don't think I'll be cramming like this again because my brain is really fuzzy right now so some of the times might not be exact, but I remember vaguely what the clock said when I put the movies in because I was racing to see how many I could cram (also I had an itinerary planned, so when I added some to the list I hadn't started watching them yet, they were just the ones I have planned, but I might take a break after Halloween 5 and get some sleep because I'm starting to crash).
I think I got messed up from the different time zone you're in. I'm pacific and I'm guessing your east coast which would add some hours.
Old 10-14-07, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by FusionX
On a side note, is this the first year sour apples have called foul? Did the first two years run without a hitch or claims from the overwhelmed of false list reporting?
I skipped reading the first one since the discussion and lists were all together but a couple people wondered about larger lists around the 6th day or so.

I guess the first or second year, people had stuff like Family Guy and wrestling shows in their lists.

Most of the fighting was around if E.T. and other non-horror movies were horror.
Old 10-14-07, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Thanks, man. I appreciate it. I promise to dedicate my signature to you if I win. No inspiration needed though, some of us have a genuine love for horror and just enjoy watching!

You must enjoy horror if it's all you day all day, every day for the first 14 days of a month. Your wife and son must really be pleased with the quality time you're spending with them.

I'd hesitate to call anyone overwhelmed if I were you. The month's not over by a long shot. Who knows...someone else may come along with a make believe list that blows your make believe list out of the water!
Old 10-14-07, 05:52 PM

I want to count the "Are You Afraid of the Dark" episode "Jake and the Leprechaun" on my list.
Old 10-14-07, 05:55 PM

Can I just express my love for Halloween 4? I think it's my favorite after the original...it's just so cool to have a little kid as a main character, it adds so much terror for me (I take care of kids a lot so it's creepy for me). I'm looking forward to seeing if part 5 holds up to how much I loved it the first time I saw it. Probably not! When I was 10 I loved JAson Takes Manhattan, if that tells you anything.
Old 10-14-07, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Updated my list through yesterday... Hit 16, I know you big listers are afraid of the big comeback by me
Old 10-14-07, 06:39 PM

Does you guys count Red Dragon as horror? If silence of the lambs is I don't see why this prequel wouldn't be. If not I'll count it as a wild card. I watched that at work

I'm now working on The shining and not sure what else I'll watch tonight. I'm really tired today.
Old 10-14-07, 06:42 PM

Red Dragon should count as horror if the others do, IMO.

Watch all the Halloweens, they're really entertaining.
Old 10-14-07, 06:46 PM
Banned

I skipped reading the first one since the discussion and lists were all together but a couple people wondered about larger lists around the 6th day or so.

I guess the first or second year, people had stuff like Family Guy and wrestling shows in their lists.

Most of the fighting was around if E.T. and other non-horror movies were horror.
Yeah, I scanned last year's and indeed, there were complaints, so old Eddie gets the asterisk too, I suppose. Wrestling shows? Nice.
Old 10-14-07, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Yeah, I scanned last year's and indeed, there were complaints, so old Eddie gets the asterisk too, I suppose. Wrestling shows? Nice.
Actually, as far as I can recall, there were very few complaints(if any) about my list last year. I've scanned back several pages in the discussion thread and the only person who made any type of comment was a person who has also directed a comment at you this go-round. So, you can keep your asterisk.

Also as far as I'm concerned, there was not one questionable movie on my list last year. I stuck to the horror guidelines with no issues to speak of. Here's the link to my list in case you'd actually like to check it out instead of just speaking blindly on it.
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showpost.ph...7&postcount=12
Old 10-14-07, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Wow. I'm just pacing myself to hit 100 and I'm right at my numbers. At least the people with the huge numbers admit to having the time to do it. If I recall correctly, one person last year was hitting 18-21 hours a day (I even added up the running times, myself), everyday, for a few weeks and somehow still managed school and a job, which I found somewhat suspicious. Some of us are lucky enough to have jobs where we can have movies going (with judicious use of the pause button, I can usually get through 2 over an 8 hour shift), but I don't think school will put up with it. Anyway, hope you guys don't get burned out. I'm really enjoying the challenge this year.
Old 10-14-07, 07:18 PM
Banned

Actually, as far as I can recall, there were very few complaints(if any) about my list last year. I've scanned back several pages in the discussion thread and the only person who made any type of comment was a person who has also directed a comment at you this go-round. So, you can keep your asterisk.

Also as far as I'm concerned, there was not one questionable movie on my list last year. I stuck to the horror guidelines with no issues to speak of. Here's the link to my list in case you'd actually like to check it out instead of just speaking blindly on it.
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showpost.ph...7&postcount=12
I assumed based on your comments to me that you were in favor of speaking blindly.
Old 10-14-07, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Man, working double shifts doesn't help with this challenge.
Old 10-14-07, 07:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by caligulathegod
Wow. I'm just pacing myself to hit 100 and I'm right at my numbers. At least the people with the huge numbers admit to having the time to do it. If I recall correctly, one person last year was hitting 18-21 hours a day (I even added up the running times, myself), everyday, for a few weeks and somehow still managed school and a job, which I found somewhat suspicious. Some of us are lucky enough to have jobs where we can have movies going (with judicious use of the pause button, I can usually get through 2 over an 8 hour shift), but I don't think school will put up with it. Anyway, hope you guys don't get burned out. I'm really enjoying the challenge this year.
No burnout in sight for me, if anything, its getting more and more fun. The only downside is guys like EdTheGriper and DarkGod, but you'll always have those type of folks trying to spoil things.
Old 10-14-07, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
How many people were there for each year, including this year so far? Counting the people that had lists of course.
Doesn't anyone ever read the first page or click the links?? ( ):

Total number of participants in 2006: 147! (Around 115 provided complete lists)
2005: 63 (Not counting those who failed to post a list...if any)
Right now we've got pretty close to the number from last year. Although, if the previous two years are any indication, there'll probably be a few more because people usually tend to join in up until the last minute. There's still a few in this thread that said they would participate but have yet to provide their list in the other thread. In other words, we probably won't know the actual number of participants until it's over.
Old 10-14-07, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No burnout in sight for me, if anything, its getting more and more fun. The only downside is guys like EdTheGriper and DarkGod, but you'll always have those type of folks trying to spoil things.
You keep bring me up even though I dropped it. Also, besides Ed and Myself pointing out your fabrications, about 8 people in total have said your list is a bit suspicious.
Old 10-14-07, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i don't understand all the arguing over whose list is real or fake. the winner to me is the biggest loser because he/she has TOO much free time to be watching horror movies instead of actually having a social life, or a job for that matter.
Old 10-14-07, 07:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Darkgod
You keep bring me up even though I dropped it. Also, besides Ed and Myself pointing out your fabrications, about 8 people in total have said your list is a bit suspicious.
Congrats!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.