DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   100 Movies. 31 Days. The 3rd Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/510773-100-movies-31-days-3rd-annual-october-horror-movie-challenge-10-1-10-31-a.html)

Darth Maher 09-04-07 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by NinePoint
I'm married, no kids, and my wife loves horror movies as much if not more than me. Within our house we don't even watch television, only movies. So for the month of October we movie fest virually every night and a lot of the weekends.

Even without thinking about the horror movie challenge we're both taking a week of vacation this year in October basically to just relax and watch horror movies. Halloween is our favorite time of year.

I have the opposite situation. I am married with kids and my wife doesn't like horror movies. So, I'll usually watch them after she goes to bed so as to not monopolize the TV. But by then, I'm usually too tired to sit through a whole movie.

To me this contest is much like running a marathon. I know I ain't gonna win, but it will be fun to run with the big guns.

Darth Maher 09-04-07 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by DVD NDN
Also, I was going to go see Halloween soon but now I feel like I should wait till Oct.

The way movies are these days, Halloween might not even still be in theaters in October.

What is the average theater time for a movie these days?

thecrazydude 09-04-07 12:42 PM

I'm gonna give it a try. I'm very busy during the month of October, but it sounds like fun. There are lots of horror movies I haven't seen and this will give me a push to watch some of them.

I will try for 15. (but hopefully watch more!)

Giles 09-04-07 12:51 PM

so is the discussion thread or the list thread??

EdTheRipper 09-04-07 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Giles
so is the discussion thread or the list thread??

This is the discussion thread. The thread for lists will be started closer to the actual date.

Giles 09-04-07 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
This is the discussion thread. The thread for lists will be started closer to the actual date.

oooohhhhhh - okay

Darth Maher 09-04-07 01:42 PM

Ok, so I actually put together a little queue of the movies that I really want to watch. Hopefully, these will put a small dent into my "unwatched pile."

* = denotes that it will be my first time viewing this title
-popcorn- = denotes that I have viewed this title since making this list

DVD:
28 Days Later
28 Weeks Later*
April Fool's Day
The Birds*
Dark City (Possibly with audio commentary by Roger Ebert)
Dead-A-Thon (Romero's Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Dead, Land of the Dead and the remakes.)
Deadly Friend-popcorn-
The Eye
Some of the Universal Frankenstein sequels*
The Frighteners: Director's Cut
Ginger Snaps
Ginger Snaps 2: Unleashed
The Hallow*
Halloweentown (and it's three sequels)
Hellraiser (and possibly the first two sequels)
Hocus Pocus
Interview With The Vampire*
Jaws
Monster House
The Midnight Hour
Panic Room*
Phantasm*
Phantom of the Megaplex
Return of the Living Dead
Return of the Living Dead Part II
'Salem's Lot*
A Return to 'Salem's Lot*
Shocker
Terror Train*
Tower of Terror
Twitches*
Videodrome*
and of course:
It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown
Halloween

DVD (VHS Dub):
The Canterville Ghost*
The Old Dark House*
Student Bodies*
Terror In The Aisles
The Uninvited*

Cable (some may already be on the DVR):
976-EVIL
The Eye 2
Some of the Universal Mummy sequels*
Session 9*
Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation
Twitches 2*

Theater:
Saw IV*

Giles 09-04-07 01:45 PM

I'm just excited that my copy of the 183min uncut version of 'Kwaidan' came in the mail last week - first movie I'm gonna watch. Hopefully this go around I'll see the Tombs of the Blind Dead series. All the Puppet Master movies.

Trevor 09-04-07 02:09 PM

If September is a good month for me as far as getting other things cleared off my "to do" list, I just may go for 100 here. Why not? I buy them to watch them don't I? And I have a couple hundred horror unwatched horror DVDs, might as well make it an October thing.

SpaceBoy 09-04-07 02:20 PM

I love my entry from last year's result list:

"53rd. SpaceBoy – 13
Original Goal: 31 in 31 Days…expects to have a better strategy next year."

I do remember I fizzled out by starting out watching remakes of some of my favorite movies such as Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Fog etc. which really got me out of the mood to watch movies quick. Those remakes are tough to get through. I then started with the Friday the 13th series and then got bogged down on those once they started to really suck... I need to try to have a tight list with no clunkers in it, to keep a steady pace through the month.

This year I'm going to try to go through my movies, and put down what I"m hoping to watch along with some rentals I want to get in advance. Hopefully a good list will get me good results.

Shooting for 31 once again!!

EdTheRipper 09-04-07 02:20 PM

I watched most of the big horror series last year so my plans on what to watch are really up in the air. I imagine I'll try to focus on a lot of the DTV flicks I've acquired over the past year or so. A lot of titles from Brain Damage films and the like. Plus, I'll probably re-watch a couple of flicks that I've watched earlier this year like The Reaping and some from further back. Basically I intend to watch anything that'll hold my interest,lol.

SpaceBoy 09-04-07 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by darthmaher
I have the opposite situation. I am married with kids and my wife doesn't like horror movies. So, I'll usually watch them after she goes to bed so as to not monopolize the TV. But by then, I'm usually too tired to sit through a whole movie.

To me this contest is much like running a marathon. I know I ain't gonna win, but it will be fun to run with the big guns.

This is the same for me, minus the kids part. I can only really watch horror with my wife is asleep, and if the movie isn't good it can take me 3-4 nights to get through a 90-120 minute movie esp if it's bad. That makes for a tough month.

I need to do some planning to make a little more respectable showing.

Giles 09-04-07 02:30 PM

oh and the CasaNegra titles I've bought earlier in the year. oh and the After Dark movies.

Darth Maher 09-04-07 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceBoy
I love my entry from last year's result list:

"53rd. SpaceBoy – 13
Original Goal: 31 in 31 Days…expects to have a better strategy next year."

Here is my entry...

"47th. darthmaher – 23"

My goal for this year is to get noticed enough to have some witty one-liner posted under my score. ;)

What's funny is reading the "No List Provided" entries. :lol:

Hokeyboy 09-04-07 03:43 PM

I'm *totally* in. I can do 100 standing on my head! Or on yours!

Trevor 09-04-07 11:21 PM

You all might want to check out this thread .

For $13.72, you get a horror double feature (two anamorphic discs in most cases) and a $10.50 voucher for the new RE movie.

NoirFan 09-04-07 11:25 PM

I plan on giving up the NFL for the entire month of October in order to give my full attention to this challenge.

The Monkees 09-04-07 11:31 PM

I love September & October are always my favorite months because they always release a crap load of horror movies, and this year is no exception. I'm just glad I didn't quit my job.

SilverDreams 09-05-07 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by John S.
I'm gonna set a goal of 31 since its my first attempt. Doubt I'll even get that, though.

So since this thread is for discussion, I'm gonna make a list of movies I have but am not sure if they should necessarily be called "horror". If anyone wants to comment on them I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

The Black Dahlia
The Craft
The Crow Series
Panic Room
Red Eye
Snakes on a Plane

I would definately say THE BLACK DAHLIA is a horror film, just in that it's horrifically bad. I am a HUGE DePalma fan and this movie is a joke.

Trevor 09-05-07 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by NoirFan
I plan on giving up the NFL for the entire month of October in order to give my full attention to this challenge.

Oh crap, I forgot about the NFL.

I'm out. At least I won't be going for 100, maybe 31.

Edit to add: Guess I'm not out. Already at like 28 and it's the 5th. Maybe I will hit 100 after all.

Shack 09-05-07 07:13 AM

Just a reminder that you can download lots of movies from the Internet Archive:
http://www.archive.org/details/feature_films
They have a good selection of horror films, yes, some trash, but also some classics like Carnival of Souls, Night of the Living Dead and The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari. They've also started listing iPod and PSP versions, helpful if you need to watch on the go.

Other sites:
http://www.publicdomaintorrents.com/ (for downloads)
http://classiccinemaonline.blogspot.com/ (to watch online)

dan31655 09-05-07 10:17 AM

i'm in for this... the goal for me is about 50.

OwlAtHome 09-05-07 04:42 PM

I want to try and beat my count for last year but it was such a challenge I don't think it'll happen. I only wish Tales From The Crypt was eligible because I do plan on watching a bunch of those.

Chad 09-06-07 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Giles
I'm just excited that my copy of the 183min uncut version of 'Kwaidan' came in the mail last week - first movie I'm gonna watch.

Been meaning to catch this forever - which version do you recommend for a first time viewing? I've noticed the region R2/R4 versions have the longer 183min cut, the Criterion "international" version runs at around 161 minutes, and TCM is showing the (theatrical?) cut of 125 minutes.

texasgator 09-06-07 05:22 PM

I am in and looking forward to October. As an underachiever the past two years, I'm hoping to at least hit 20 films this year.