Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 3rd Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 3rd Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-07, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm looking forward to this....Just stood on the sidelines last year....I'll set myself to a goal of 50 hopefully.
Old 09-02-07, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm gonna set a goal of 31 since its my first attempt. Doubt I'll even get that, though.

So since this thread is for discussion, I'm gonna make a list of movies I have but am not sure if they should necessarily be called "horror". If anyone wants to comment on them I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

The Black Dahlia
The Craft
The Crow Series
Panic Room
Red Eye
Snakes on a Plane
Old 09-02-07, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd consider Snakes on a Plane to be a horror film.
Old 09-02-07, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by John S.
I'm gonna set a goal of 31 since its my first attempt. Doubt I'll even get that, though.

So since this thread is for discussion, I'm gonna make a list of movies I have but am not sure if they should necessarily be called "horror". If anyone wants to comment on them I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

The Black Dahlia
The Craft
The Crow Series
Panic Room
Red Eye
Snakes on a Plane
I'd call The Craft a horror flick. Red Eye and Snakes on a Plane are borderline for me...I listed Red Eye last year but only because someone else had counted it. Panic Room is more of a thriller than a horror. I'd call The Black Dahlia a drama and The Crow series action with a supernatural element.
Old 09-02-07, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts
As I've stated before, I'm just in it for the fun of it. I will get nowhere near 100 movies. My goal is to view 31 eligible movies.

And... In addition to horror movies, I like to watch all kinds of Halloween specials in October, many of which don't count for this contest (nor should they). I'll post them in a list under my entries that count.

I'm still trying to decide what to start with. I want it to be something special. I'm all cermonial like that.
Old 09-03-07, 01:23 AM

Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts

I love this idea, but after looking at the results from previous years I just have one question (and I ask it in all seriousness): How in the HELL do you guys have the time to watch 150 movies in 31 days? Or even 100? Or even 50??

Old 09-03-07, 03:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You know, we do need some kind of official ‘source’ that we can cross reference with to verify if a certain movie falls under the ‘horror’ genre or not.

Would IMDB, Rotten Tomatoes, DVD Profiler or anything else suitable be considered as a credible source?

Or do we just go with our gut instincts?
Old 09-03-07, 05:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by InnocentBlood
You know, we do need some kind of official ‘source’ that we can cross reference with to verify if a certain movie falls under the ‘horror’ genre or not.

Would IMDB, Rotten Tomatoes, DVD Profiler or anything else suitable be considered as a credible source?

Or do we just go with our gut instincts?
Personally, I usually check IMDB. If horror isn't one of the first genres listed, then it's not horror to me.

A lot of it is just common sense though. I mean, last year we had one person who tried to pass E.T. off as a horror flick.
Old 09-03-07, 05:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Surfinhank
I love this idea, but after looking at the results from previous years I just have one question (and I ask it in all seriousness): How in the HELL do you guys have the time to watch 150 movies in 31 days? Or even 100? Or even 50??

For me, it was a serious lack of sleep combined with no life outside of work and watching movies. I work full-time so I made sure to try watch as many movies as I could sneak in on those days. If I got out of work at 5pm, I'd be on the couch with a movie on by 6pm. If you choose the right movies you can easily watch 4 movies and not be up too much later than midnight. On my one day off from work each week, it was pretty much anything goes.
Old 09-03-07, 09:13 AM

I'm married, no kids, and my wife loves horror movies as much if not more than me. Within our house we don't even watch television, only movies. So for the month of October we movie fest virually every night and a lot of the weekends.

Even without thinking about the horror movie challenge we're both taking a week of vacation this year in October basically to just relax and watch horror movies. Halloween is our favorite time of year.
Old 09-03-07, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I worked my ass off getting 100 last year, I would say I was sleep deprived and most of my family and friends thought I disappeared for a month. My wife thought I went insane, but she was a good sport about it. This year I am going for a more reasonable 30-50.
Old 09-03-07, 10:19 AM

I fell in number of titles from 2005 to 2006 and I have a feeling that will become a continuing pattern through 2007. With a new job and going to school full time, I think I may be able to get in 40 tops. Bummer.
Old 09-03-07, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by John S.

The Black Dahlia
The Craft
The Crow Series
Panic Room
Red Eye
Snakes on a Plane
The Craft, The Crow, and Snakes on a Plane are usually lumped into the genre amongst horror circles, so I'd count them, but it's really up to you. If it was me, I wouldn't count Black Dahlia, Panic Room, or Red Eye.

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
eh i'll join. i tried it last year. My goal is 18.

Got a question regarding qualifying titles. Would something like the Park Chan Wook Vengeance trillogy (oldboy, sympathy for mr vengeance, Lady vengeance) count. What about some of the Takashi Miike gorefests like Ichi the Killer or Audition, which are more action movies with horror elements?
The Vengeance trilogy is usually lumped into the horror genre because they're a lot like the exploitation movies that are always filed under horror. While I put them in my horror section of dvds, I wouldn't really consider them horror. Audition is definitely horror. I would call Ichi horror because there are some genuinely creepy scenes in the movie and has the omnious feeling many Japanese horror movies have, though I could see others having a different say on this one.
Old 09-03-07, 10:59 AM

Just wanted to reiterate that I love this time of year. I get such shit the rest of the year for being a giant horror nerd and this is the one time the rest of the world seems to join me.
Old 09-03-07, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by speedyray
I worked my ass off getting 100 last year, I would say I was sleep deprived and most of my family and friends thought I disappeared for a month. My wife thought I went insane, but she was a good sport about it. This year I am going for a more reasonable 30-50.
My wife and my co-workers thought I lost my mind watching as many movies as I did. I suppose to a certain extent I did. After watching nothing but horror movies for 31 straight days, I was a bit paranoid that something was going to jump out of the closet and get me,lol.
Old 09-03-07, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Zodiac_Speaking
One year before I knew of this I wacthed damn near 45+ horror movies in October.

I'm now game!
Love your song!

On a completely separate note, I will have to try extra hard this year to just get my 40, I recently sold off quite a few of my horror films, including my Nightmare On Elm Street collection which was a great help.
Old 09-03-07, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Well, as another who works full-time, I didn't think there was a chance in hell of hitting 131 last year, but somehow I managed it. Here's my "secret" that involves making a few sacrifices:

-Give up network television viewing completely. As tempting as those fall premieres are, you can't give in to temptation. By the time November rolls around the hard drive in my TiVo is ready to implode.

-Cut down on online time. Outside of work I pretty much stick to the basics/essentials: E-mail, DVDTalk, etc.

-Combine your weekend plans. I'll be having at least one weekend marathon where I have over a few friends/co-workers and we basically drink and watch horror flicks until we're no longer able to do so. Fortunately it's possible for me because I'm single, but I realize some of you married types (especially w/children) don't always have the luxury of doing this. My condolences, BTW. And obviously it's very beneficial to have a spouse who enjoys the genre just as much as you do.

-Less sleep. You'd be surprised at what a difference giving up just 1 hour of sleep per night can make. I have periodic bouts of insomnia and don't require much sleep to begin with (5 hours), so that's a slight advantage right there. Wake-up early and try to squeeze in a movie before you start your day.

I've even attempted running on a treadmill while simultaneously watching a movie. But, unless you have a good pair of noise-cancellation headphones (preferably wireless/blue tooth) that significantly block out ambient noise, I don't recommend this...if you value your hearing that is.

Here's a typical day for me:

Get up ---> morning work out routine ---> watch a movie ---> Go to work ---> run 6-10 miles (M, W, F) ---> Go home ---> Work out (T, TH) ---> watch movies ---> squeeze in some internet time ---> go to bed ---> repeat cycle.

Of course, certain circumstances sometimes arise that prevent you from your usual routines...that's why the weekend is essential to play catch-up.

I should put up a FAQ section on the main page.
Old 09-03-07, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I'll take this spot here.
Old 09-03-07, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Chad
Well, as another who works full-time, I didn't think there was a chance in hell of hitting 131 last year, but somehow I managed it. Here's my "secret" that involves making a few sacrifices:

-Cut down on online time. Outside of work I pretty much stick to the basics/essentials: E-mail, DVDTalk, etc.

-And obviously it's very beneficial to have a spouse who enjoys the genre just as much as you do.

-Less sleep. You'd be surprised at what a difference giving up just 1 hour of sleep per night can make. I have periodic bouts of insomnia and don't require much sleep to begin with (5 hours), so that's a slight advantage right there. Wake-up early and try to squeeze in a movie before you start your day.
I follow all 3 of these points. Last October, I hardly spent any time goofing off online like I'd normally do. Instead, I kept it to the essentials and limited myself to a short period of time each day to do so.

My wife really helped out last time. She's not a HUGE horror fan but she watched quite a few movies with me and didn't bitch about it. Also, when she didn't feel like watching something, she went and watched tv in the bedroom and gave me my space on the couch.

I'm another who can function pretty well on 4 or 5 hours of sleep. If you can pull it off, it definitely helps out a ton.
Old 09-03-07, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 422 Likes on 305 Posts
After looking through my collection of dvds i am kind of on the fench about particapting now, because there will be other stuff i want to watch in October, plus playing video games. But if i start I think I will probably go for 30-40 movies.
Old 09-03-07, 06:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I managed to watch 110 last year, which was my first year to participate. Chad covered a lot of the things that enabled me to watch a lot of movies last year. I normally seem to need only 4 to 5 hours of sleep a night and that helps a great deal. Also, I don't watch network television at all and only catch bits and pieces of college football games and don't care for any pro sports. So even with a full-time job it is possible. Of course, I also limit my time online.

I haven't bought many horror movies since last year so I'll probably be watching a lot of the same ones. I've made it a point not to watch any horror movies this year so as to start out relatively fresh and not get burned out.
Old 09-03-07, 09:05 PM

OK, I'm game I'll see if I can hit 31. I'll see how many I can watch with my daughter (age 2 1/2). If she has nightmares, I'll just bring her down stairs to watch more movies with me
Also, I was going to go see Halloween soon but now I feel like I should wait till Oct.
Old 09-04-07, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
Concerning documentaries as movies. Not all docs are puff pieces intended as DVD filler (I tried to get those disallowed, though). There are plenty of docs that are just as horrific as fictional films and appeal to the same prurient interests. Check out the Mondo films and other exploitation docs of the 70s and even the shitty Faces of Death type docs of the 80s. Also, docs about serial killers, murderous animals, aliens (the scary ones) are all fair game. Most of those make me feel skeevier than Michael Myers rehashes.
Old 09-04-07, 03:31 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
Oh yeah, we forgot to mention about linking to your lists in your signatures. Makes it easier and cool to check out lists.
Old 09-04-07, 08:34 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Shack
To add a little spin to the challenge, and borrowing a bit from last year's checklist, here's one for this year:

Watch one film from every decade, starting with the 1920's (or the 1910's if you can find them).

Watch films in at least two languages other than English.

Watch a film and its remake.

watch a film which won an Academy Award -- any category.

Watch a film and at least two sequels.

Watch a film in each of the following horror subgenres:
--- Vampire
--- Werewolf
--- Ghost/haunting
--- Witchcraft/satanic/religious
--- Zombie
--- Slasher/psycho/homicidal maniac
--- Monster/creature feature

Watch a film starring:
--- Bela Lugosi
--- Lon Chaney (Sr. or Jr.)
--- Boris Karloff
--- Vincent Price
--- Christopher Lee
--- Jamie Lee Curtis

Watch a film you've heard about but haven't seen (and report back in the discussion thread).

Needless to say, I'm in!
I'm game.

Last edited by Giles; 09-04-07 at 12:55 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.