Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 3rd Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 3rd Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-07, 05:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gobear,

You just quoted the rules as saying Horror Docs count. So therefore, I would not have to use The Making Of Thriller as a wild card. Not only that, but it is trying to scare the viewer, as per your rules.

So I guess I can watch it. That being said, watch Michael Jackon's Moonwalker and you also might find yourself being scared.
Old 09-29-07, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Originally Posted by erichbergen
So a few quick questions:

1)Can anyone help me think of some good Foreign Horror films from Australia, Germany or any Spanish-Language ones?

2)Any musical horror films besides Rocky Horror?
3)Someone's list had the movie Hard Candy on it from a few years ago. That counts as horror?

Thanx.
In addition to all that was previously mentioned:

1)Australia - Thirst (being remade by Mick Garris), Razorback, The Plumber (TV movie), Patrick
Germany - Nekromantik 1 & 2, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, The Golem
Spain - The Coffin Joe films

2) Shock Treatment (Sequel to Rocky Horror) Haven't seen it, know nothing about it. May not even be considered horror.

3) Not in the traditional sense, but it was pretty damn horrific.
Old 09-29-07, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts
Gobear,

You just quoted the rules as saying Horror Docs count. So therefore, I would not have to use The Making Of Thriller as a wild card. Not only that, but it is trying to scare the viewer, as per your rules.

So I guess I can watch it. That being said, watch Michael Jackon's Moonwalker and you also might find yourself being scared.
You're right. I should have put a "not", as in "you would not have to use the MJ docu as a wild card."

I just watched Captain EO. I don't think I could watch Moonwalker and remain sane. I hear that thing's worse than the Necronomicon.
Old 09-29-07, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 244 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Giles
ah hem - this is the discussion thread not the list thread
I just wanted to have a sweet spot on the 6th page incase I decide I have something to contribute to the discussion....
Old 09-29-07, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
Shock Treatment is not Horror. I don't know how one would categorize it, but it's not Horror. Little Shop of Horrors is a Horror musical that is worth watching.

As to Alien and Blade and others, cross-genre films ARE allowed. As long as they are intrinsically Horror-related. Vampires, monsters, etc. are generally Horror. Whether it is naked space vampires or action-hero vampires, they still count as horror.

Making of Thriller. I can't see why it wouldn't count, considering the current rules.
Old 09-29-07, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just a heads up for those who don't have them, I noticed that the Frankenstein and Dracula 75th Anniversary Editions are both $13.99 on Amazon, which is about 45% off.
Old 09-29-07, 11:01 PM

question

I have a copy burned of hatchet and skinwalkers..dvd quality. does this count also? they dont get release for another month or so
Old 09-29-07, 11:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DEEveeDEE3
question

I have a copy burned of hatchet and skinwalkers..dvd quality. does this count also? they dont get release for another month or so
I don't think format matters, so I'd say yes. Its not like either are hard to track down on the net.
Old 09-29-07, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by FusionX
I don't think format matters, so I'd say yes. Its not like either are hard to track down on the net.

ok thanks
Old 09-30-07, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts
With that rule in mind, what about Michael Jackson's The Making Of Thriller.
Man, I forgot about that one. I'm gonna have to dig up my VHS and watch it this year. Our babysitter had this video back when it first came out and we'd watch it 2 or 3 times, every Thursday (the particular day she would babysit us).

I've since bought it myself, but my version was recorded in EP mode. Cheapos!!!

This really needs to be released on DVD.

Has anyone seen Michael Jackson's "Ghosts" video? I saw a few minutes of it once and have never seen it since. It looked pretty cool.
Old 09-30-07, 02:26 AM

Michael's "Ghosts" video is pretty fantastic. Stan Winston did all the special effects and directed it. The full version played about 45 minutes. It came out in 1997 while Michael was on tour. In the US, it played in theatres before screenings of Stephen Kings Thinner. It has not been given a DVD release yet, but there is a fantastic Box Set which includes the VHS of the film that was released in Japan and England.
Old 09-30-07, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts
I am basically new to posting here, just skimmed usually. I intend to whole heartidly go after this, and i am setting a lofty goal of 101. I don't know if Ill reach it since I am going on vacation but I will try. I am also going to gun for edtheripper since he is the champ, as well as a UHM alumnis. I luck out in a few things. 1. at my job i can watch movies on my computer. 2. My gym is showing horror movies during october, it looks like I will do about 2 hours of cardio a day. 3. My girfriend loves horror movies too 4. I have a shit load of unwatched horror movies ( I only have about 2-3 hundred horror flicks, and only watched about 180. 5. I have masters of horror season 1 and have not watched an episdoe yet. 6. I have the Bava box and have not watched a film yet. I have 2 of those 50 packs and have barley watched any. 7. I recently got Monsters HD. 8. I have the AMC and TCM lists downloaded..... So off we go.
Old 09-30-07, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

2)Any musical horror films besides Rocky Horror?
Mad Monster Party, which I'm watching as part of this year's challenge.

Rob

Last edited by RobCA; 09-30-07 at 10:56 AM.
Old 09-30-07, 01:21 PM

Any thoughts on Little Nicky being eligible?
Old 09-30-07, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by OwlAtHome
Any thoughts on Little Nicky being eligible?
I wouldn't consider that a horror movie at all. Although I don't really consider any comedic movies to be horror with the exception of Gremlins.
Old 09-30-07, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Agreed with The Monkees. Little Nicky is nowhere near a horror movie,IMO.
Old 09-30-07, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Any thoughts on whether Donnie Darko qualifies? I hadn't even thought about including it, but then I thought of it the other day, out of the blue, and now I can't decide if it should count. I keep going back and forth on it.

Rob
Old 09-30-07, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Monkees
I wouldn't consider that a horror movie at all. Although I don't really consider any comedic movies to be horror with the exception of Gremlins.
Not even Shaun of the Dead?
Old 09-30-07, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Darkgod
I am basically new to posting here, just skimmed usually. I intend to whole heartidly go after this, and i am setting a lofty goal of 101. I don't know if Ill reach it since I am going on vacation but I will try. I am also going to gun for edtheripper since he is the champ, as well as a UHM alumnis. I luck out in a few things. 1. at my job i can watch movies on my computer. 2. My gym is showing horror movies during october, it looks like I will do about 2 hours of cardio a day. 3. My girfriend loves horror movies too 4. I have a shit load of unwatched horror movies ( I only have about 2-3 hundred horror flicks, and only watched about 180. 5. I have masters of horror season 1 and have not watched an episdoe yet. 6. I have the Bava box and have not watched a film yet. I have 2 of those 50 packs and have barley watched any. 7. I recently got Monsters HD. 8. I have the AMC and TCM lists downloaded..... So off we go.
Welcome to the board! Good luck on reaching your goal!
Old 09-30-07, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
Agreed with The Monkees. Little Nicky is nowhere near a horror movie,IMO.
Yeah it was a longshot. I just wanted to be sure.
Old 09-30-07, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by RobCA
Any thoughts on whether Donnie Darko qualifies? I hadn't even thought about including it, but then I thought of it the other day, out of the blue, and now I can't decide if it should count. I keep going back and forth on it.

Rob

Personally, I don't think it really is classifiable as a horror. IMDB lists it as drama/mystery/sci-fi/thriller.
Old 09-30-07, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts
How about Steven Spielberg's Duel? Just wanting to clarify. I know IMDB did have Horro listed as one of it's Genres and I planned to watch Joy Ride anyways, but would Duel really be horror or more suspense?
Old 09-30-07, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts
It seems to me that the criterion (or is that Criterion ) to qualify movies for this event is: is this a movie for Halloween? Duel, Starship Troopers, and the Alien series are all great, but are they Halloween movies? Halloween films, IMO, need to involve shadows and darkness and the supernatural.

BTW, does anyone know if The Halloween Tree is showing this month on any cable channels? That really needs to be on DVD because, IMO, it's essential Halloween viewing.

Last edited by Gobear; 09-30-07 at 03:10 PM.
Old 09-30-07, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Since we're talking about what does/doesn't quality.

Do the following qualify?

1. Ernest Scared Stupid (guilty pleasure)
2. Young Frankenstein
Old 09-30-07, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Originally Posted by Gobear
BTW, does anyone know if The Halloween Tree is showing this month on any cable channels? That really needs to be on DVD because, IMO, it's essential Halloween viewing.
Not to my knowledge. It used to air quite frequently on the Cartoon Network, but hasn't been shown there in at least the last four or five years.

Originally Posted by SpaceBoy
Since we're talking about what does/doesn't quality.

Do the following qualify?

1. Ernest Scared Stupid (guilty pleasure)
2. Young Frankenstein
Yes to both.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.