DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Spielberg/Harris restoring Godfather trilogy

Old 08-22-08, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
It's also worth pointing out that this screen grab may not be representative of what the disc actually looks like in regular playback. We know nothing about how the frame was captured.

I remain optimistic.
Having seen the R2 restoration myself, you're pretty much on the nose. It's really more about the cleanup of all the nicks and scratches from the previous versions than any sort of color correction.
Old 09-16-08, 10:32 AM

Here is a Digital Bits review of the Blue Ray edition which seems to make it clear as to what Coppola was shooting for in relation to video quality:

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/review...arest.html#god
Old 09-16-08, 04:02 PM
Cool New Member

Glad to see the blu-rays seem to have captured the films well. Hopefully the DVDs were handled with care (and were not rush jobs), as those are what I'll be getting (single releases of I & II).
Old 09-16-08, 05:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tardo317 View Post
Here is a Digital Bits review of the Blue Ray edition which seems to make it clear as to what Coppola was shooting for in relation to video quality:

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/review...arest.html#god
I'll wait for DVDTALK members reviews before I buy.
The last set got the same kind of "rave" reviews from HTF, but when members tried like myself to give honest reviews we were censored.
Since they don't censor comments on DVDTALK I'll wait for your comments.
Old 09-23-08, 10:41 AM

Best Buy has a bonus with the set. A book.

The Godfather: Classic Quotes from Cedar Mill Press.

Pretty nice looking with gold trim pages and a red silk bookmark.
Old 09-23-08, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

According to the screenshots at DVD Beaver, this restoration has really changed the color scheme of the films. To me eyes it looks wrong...
Old 09-23-08, 12:06 PM
Banned

Yeah, I'll hold onto my old DVD set. And I guess it's a good thing but I have the same problem that it just looks odd with the restoration. I want to see the films in their new glory but until the set goes down on price....I'll stick with my good ole set..
Old 09-23-08, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC View Post
Yeah, I'll hold onto my old DVD set. And I guess it's a good thing but I have the same problem that it just looks odd with the restoration. I want to see the films in their new glory but until the set goes down on price....I'll stick with my good ole set..
I'm confused. Why would a lower price change the way you feel about the films looking odd?
Old 09-23-08, 05:09 PM
Banned

Sorry if I didn't make sense. I've been so used to the previous visual presentation of the films that it just feels weird seeing it in it's restored and vibrant visuals. Also my comment of not buying it is based solely on that the special features don't make it a must buy considering that it has the same features plus some mildly interesting new ones but not as spectacular as you'd expect from this legendary franchise to deserve in any new incarnation of it.
Old 09-23-08, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

For the individual (non-box set) re-releases, Walmart has exclusive lenticular slipcovers for each of the three films.
Old 09-24-08, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC View Post
I only intended to watch a few minutes of Part I last night, I was so amazed with the color I watched the whole movie. But the biggest draw for me was THE SOUND. This movie sounded so lifelike I was astounded. I've seen "1" almost 100 times and I've never heard it sound so good. The gunshots don't sound tinny or muffled anymore, especially during two major famous scenes, that I won't mention here because of spoilers but fans of the movie know what two scenes I mean. One involving lots of gunfire - the other an explosion. I've never head this movie sound so incredible. You should upgrade just for the audio alone. And Nino Rota's score sounds like it was recorded TODAY. I even could hear castellanets (SP?) during the background wedding music. Something I've never heard before.

One little flaw - my disc of "1" pauses for a second, in the scene where Fredo sits down in the Don's bedroom, right before Michael's Sicily scene. It happned every time I rewound it back. It's kind of momentarily jarring as I'm used to the don's face fading out over the greens of Sicily. Instead it freezes a second. I guess it's the dual layer change, but it's so distracting when you grew up seeing a seemless edit.

Last edited by JasonTHX; 09-24-08 at 12:37 PM.
Old 10-09-08, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
No, but maybe it is just a little, because it's not too noticeable - I only noticed it because of going back-and-forth between the NTSC and PAL version, and it was pretty minor, especially considering how much of a pitch difference I notice in something like the PAL Buffys. So it could be just the sped-up dialog I'm noticing, as the pitch doesn't seem too different. But I could be wrong. Either way, it's not as big an issue as I feared it would be, as I stopped noticing what I could after a couple minutes.
Well, that's because of PAL's 4% speedup. Google it up. It's because 24 fps are played at 25 fps...
Old 10-14-08, 02:28 AM

Anybody notice how many used copies of the dvd set there are out there?

A ton.

It seems a lot of customers are unhappy with it, but the set is really getting favorable reviews.

Whats the deal?
Old 10-14-08, 11:34 AM
Banned

is paramount going to fix the disc number issue or what? Cuz that kind of unintentional swap of the covers doesn't make me want to buy this....if it's corrected, hell yes..but c'mon Paramount...
Old 10-14-08, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jmj713 View Post
According to the screenshots at DVD Beaver, this restoration has really changed the color scheme of the films. To me eyes it looks wrong...
Unless you're old enough to remember seeing it in the theatres when it first came out, I would imagine it looks different. The two films had badly aged and yellowed by the time they made it to television and home video. There were also color mistakes even in the original theatrical presentation that they just didn't have the technology or time to fix.

The other thing to consider is the cinematography was designed to do things with darkness that simply won't show up on a television set. The film was made before home video took off and also at a time when there was no effort at film preservation, so the muddy version you're used to is something that film enthusiasts who know how the film should look have been lamenting for years.

I would trust this version. I saw them projected on film during their short run before the DVD release and thought they were magnificent. Remember that the cinematographer and Coppola were involved in this effort and the mission was to achieve the look the film had when it was brand new. The vast majority of us have never seen it this way.
Old 10-14-08, 05:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Chill Pill View Post
Anybody notice how many used copies of the dvd set there are out there?

A ton.

It seems a lot of customers are unhappy with it, but the set is really getting favorable reviews.

Whats the deal?
That's the same thing that happened with the 1st release!
But us the folks give some honest reviews the good and the bad.
And that's why it's best to wait for our comments.