DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Spielberg/Harris restoring Godfather trilogy

Old 08-22-07, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by PatrickMcCart
This is actually true from what I've heard. Not walkie-talkies, but they're going to digitally remove a lot of the gorier violence (like Moe getting shot in the eye) and the bullet holes in Vito's back. That's part of the compromise when Spielberg came on to help.
Ted Turner style I see. Is this actually true?
Old 08-23-07, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Which resulted in a crappy transfer. It's called a print on film and a transfer on disc.
If the transfer is faithful to the original source material, then it's a good transfer. The "Godfather" DVDs have very good transfers of problematic source material.
Old 08-23-07, 01:01 AM

This is definitely something to look forward to. Feed us more newsbits!
Old 08-23-07, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
I sure hope so!
Me too!
Old 08-23-07, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
If the transfer is faithful to the original source material, then it's a good transfer. The "Godfather" DVDs have very good transfers of problematic source material.
Finding acceptable source elements is an important part of the video transfer process.
Old 08-23-07, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Finding acceptable source elements is an important part of the video transfer process.
Salty and I do not disagree on this point. Nor we disagree on what we are saying. We are saying the same thing. We are simply disagreeing on the terminology.
Old 08-23-07, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I really hope these new prints get a semi-wide theatrical release. Being that I'm only 25 I obviously missed the original release. These are two of my favorite flicks of all time so I would gladly pay to see them on the big screen.
Old 08-23-07, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
The color timing is apparently accurate, but not in the other aspects. Edge enhancement, filtering, and DVNR are not ways to keep a film image faithful to the intended look. Many VistaVision DVDs have great color, but look nothing like they should in terms of sharpness, detail, contrast, and framing (i.e. the original The Searchers DVD).

This is 100% correct.

(Also, some of you are really gullible )
Old 08-23-07, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PatrickMcCart
This is actually true from what I've heard. Not walkie-talkies, but they're going to digitally remove a lot of the gorier violence (like Moe getting shot in the eye) and the bullet holes in Vito's back. That's part of the compromise when Spielberg came on to help.
This is the most disheartening news I've heard in awhile. Coppola's ego doesn't seem as if it would allow this.
Old 08-23-07, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kurupt
This is the most disheartening news I've heard in awhile. Coppola's ego doesn't seem as if it would allow this.
Oh, for god's sake, did you read the post directly above yours? It was a fucking joke.

Patrick, Groucho has been a bad influence on you.

Last edited by Mr. Salty; 08-23-07 at 04:26 PM.
Old 08-23-07, 06:14 PM

I might consider picking this up. The current DVDs do look like crap, so if the new ones were substantially better, I might indulge.
Old 08-23-07, 07:03 PM

Spielberg is exempt from the Paramount/HD-DVD bribe, so maybe he'd insist that this be available in all formats as well.
Old 08-23-07, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Geist
Spielberg is exempt from the Paramount/HD-DVD bribe, so maybe he'd insist that this be available in all formats as well.
Only titles directed by Spielberg himself were specifically carved out in Paramount's announcement this week. Spielberg neither directed nor produced The Godfather films. He's just a friend of the director.
Old 08-23-07, 11:07 PM
Banned

If they are going to have trouble fixing GODFATHER 1 & 2 and it's costing a lot then we will never ever see THE GODFATHER: THE COMPLETE NOVEL on dvd. The laserdiscs then just went up in value.
Old 08-23-07, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Geist
I don't understand how Spielberg even has any say in the restoration. He sold his company to Paramount. He works for them now. I suppose Paramount was simply on the fence about it and Spielberg just helped push them over.
Old 08-24-07, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I don't understand how Spielberg even has any say in the restoration. He sold his company to Paramount. He works for them now. I suppose Paramount was simply on the fence about it and Spielberg just helped push them over.
Spielberg works for himself, not for Paramount. But he stands to make a lot of money for Paramount, so I'm sure the studio is willing to do whatever it can to keep him happy.
Old 08-24-07, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by KillerCannabis
I really hope these new prints get a semi-wide theatrical release.
I wouldn't count on it; they did a brief theatrical re-release as of some recent anniversary (30th, I think), and it did not do well at all. I remember, at the time, they were very surprised about that.

(I might be wrong about when they did it; I feel like it was earlier than 2002, but I don't know why they would've done it in some random year, unless it was promotion for the DVD release; it was between 1998 and 2002, because I was in college in NYC when they did it.)
Old 08-24-07, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ThatGuamGuy
I wouldn't count on it; they did a brief theatrical re-release as of some recent anniversary (30th, I think), and it did not do well at all. I remember, at the time, they were very surprised about that.

(I might be wrong about when they did it; I feel like it was earlier than 2002, but I don't know why they would've done it in some random year, unless it was promotion for the DVD release; it was between 1998 and 2002, because I was in college in NYC when they did it.)
I think it was closer to 1998. I seem to recall it happening not long after I had left college (which was '96).
Old 08-24-07, 11:50 PM

Only titles directed by Spielberg himself were specifically carved out in Paramount's announcement this week. Spielberg neither directed nor produced The Godfather films. He's just a friend of the director.

Are you sure? Because I saw that movie once on AMC and could swear it said it was directed by Steven Spielberg.

Oh, wait. I must be thinking of GOODFELLAS. Sorry.

Old 08-25-07, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm hoping Spielberg has enough pull to get this released on both High-def formats...
Old 04-11-08, 12:05 AM
Cool New Member

This looks like good news.

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releas...r-trilogy.html

Slated for R2, but does this mean a R1 re-release is right around the corner?
Old 04-11-08, 01:36 AM
Suspended

Should be. I hope this adds the deleted scenes?
Old 04-11-08, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

no original mono sound = no sale.
Old 04-11-08, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

At this point I'll be waiting for the Blu-ray.
Old 04-11-08, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Bus
At this point I'll be waiting for the Blu-ray.
Same here.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.