Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Day The Earth Stood Still--- New SE?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 08-22-07, 01:11 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Digital Bits' Barrie Maxwell is reporting that Fox is prepping a new special edition DVD for THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL. I can't wait for this to come out, but I don't see any preliminary details yet listed anywhere, not even The Bits or Amazon. All's Barrie is reporting that Fox has it coming... let's keep our fingers crossed for a good set.

Anyone with any news, please post it here, I'd greatly appreciate it. As would any other classic 50's Sci-Fi fans, I'd bet.
Old 08-22-07, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by cheersfan213
The Digital Bits' Barrie Maxwell is reporting that Fox is prepping a new special edition DVD for THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL. I can't wait for this to come out, but I don't see any preliminary details yet listed anywhere, not even The Bits or Amazon. All's Barrie is reporting that Fox has it coming... let's keep our fingers crossed for a good set.

Anyone with any news, please post it here, I'd greatly appreciate it. As would any other classic 50's Sci-Fi fans, I'd bet.

All I know is that it's going to be released under their Cinema Classics banner along with An Affair to Remember, I'll probably just pass on this one since the last version is excellent and fits in my Studio Classics collection.
Old 08-22-07, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This would be great. I've been meaning to get the current release but I haven't bought it yet, so I can totally wait to see what they put out.
Old 08-22-07, 10:14 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Already posted here back in July:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread....th+Stood+Still
Old 08-22-07, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is the remake still coming out next summer? If so expect a new 2 disc " Super Saucer" edition to come out.
Old 08-22-07, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 180 Posts
Hopefully it will offer a new transfer. The existing disc is layered with thick edge enhancement.
Old 08-22-07, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Fox Studio Classics disc is pretty good (and cheap), but since I never actually bought it I will hold out for this one. I'm sure it will have a nice slipcase with it like the other Cinema Classics titles like Fantastic Voyage. Hopefully they port over the old extras and add enough new ones to make this a 2-disc set. A new transfer would be welcome also.
Old 08-22-07, 11:34 AM

This stands out as my favorite Cold War-inspired film. Well, maybe tied with "Invasion of the Body Snatchers". I'd definitely pick up a remastered SE.

Also, I can't believe they're remaking it. Doesn't really have the same impact since the Cold War is over.
Old 08-22-07, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by vcuram
This stands out as my favorite Cold War-inspired film. Well, maybe tied with "Invasion of the Body Snatchers". I'd definitely pick up a remastered SE.

Also, I can't believe they're remaking it. Doesn't really have the same impact since the Cold War is over.

Yes, this is sad...but it's probably the only reason too why they're planning on releasing a new version...so I wouldn't expect it to be that great, just a re-release mostly with newer packaging to promote the new one..
Old 08-22-07, 12:39 PM

Good to hear this is coming. It's weird, I was just thinking about this movie the other day and wondering if a new release would be coming.
Old 08-22-07, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
The first one has quite a bit of special features, what else can they offer?
Old 08-22-07, 04:49 PM

I *just* ordered this yesterday morning in the existing form. DAMMIT!
Old 08-23-07, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by zombeaner
I *just* ordered this yesterday morning in the existing form. DAMMIT!
It's a damn good release...nothing to worry about. It's cheap enough (and good enough, IMO) not to be upset over it...
Old 09-20-07, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i hope it has some new extras, or at least spread them to two disc as opposed to the flipper.