Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Aviator - Question about the colors

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-07, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Aviator - Question about the colors

I'm watching this for the first time on my upconverting DVD player and I noticed how much the colors stand out. In the scene where Howard is walking on the golf course with Kate the grass is blue, also in a later scene where Howard is eating his peas on his plate are also blue. Is this how it is supposed to look? I don't think I ever noticed it before.
Old 08-11-07, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
from the imdb:

Martin Scorsese designed each year in the film to look just the way a color film from that time period would look. Achieved mainly through digitally enhanced post-production, Scorsese recreated the look of Cinecolor and two-strip Technicolor. Watch in particular for the scene where Howard Hughes (Leonardo DiCaprio) meets Errol Flynn (Jude Law) in the club. Hughes is served precisely placed peas on a plate, and they appear blue or turquoise - just as they'd have looked in the primitive two-strip Technicolor process. As Hughes ages throughout the film, the color gets more sophisticated and full-bodied.
Old 08-11-07, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hmm...that's interesting.

i have never seen The Aviator, but i just might pick it up now...
Old 08-11-07, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert
from the imdb:
Martin Scorsese designed each year in the film to look just the way a color film from that time period would look. Achieved mainly through digitally enhanced post-production, Scorsese recreated the look of Cinecolor and two-strip Technicolor. Watch in particular for the scene where Howard Hughes (Leonardo DiCaprio) meets Errol Flynn (Jude Law) in the club. Hughes is served precisely placed peas on a plate, and they appear blue or turquoise - just as they'd have looked in the primitive two-strip Technicolor process. As Hughes ages throughout the film, the color gets more sophisticated and full-bodied.
Aha! You know when I was watching those scenes I actually thought it looked like two-strip technicolor. Having read that information I applaud Scorsese even moreso. This is one of the movies I find myself revisiting quite often. Thanks for posting that info.
Old 08-11-07, 10:54 PM

I recently bought this one. Caught it a few times on cable, and I got drawn in enough to the story, Leo's performance, the effects and the history to want to buy it.

But... that blue grass golf scene had me doing a doubletake. It was blue on a standard DVD player on a standard TV. I read the explanation above, but I don't think it was wise call - grass isn't supposed to be blue. ...well, maybe it's Kentucky blue grass?
Old 08-12-07, 12:11 PM

I saw it in the theater, and the grass and peas were blue there too. The slightly off colors are indeed intentional. And the movie itself is a joy for film buffs who are aware of what Scorsese is trying to do with the colors throughout the film.

It's a much better movie than I think most people are aware.
Old 08-12-07, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Altimus Prime
But... that blue grass golf scene had me doing a doubletake. It was blue on a standard DVD player on a standard TV. I read the explanation above, but I don't think it was wise call - grass isn't supposed to be blue. ...
A lot of things happen in the movies that don't happen in real life.
Old 08-12-07, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Altimus Prime
I don't think it was wise call - grass isn't supposed to be blue.
I'll trust Scorsese's judgment over yours on this one.