DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   X Files Ultimate Collection - Nov 6th (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/508763-x-files-ultimate-collection-nov-6th.html)

DVDMagic 08-10-07 08:27 AM

X Files Ultimate Collection - Nov 6th

X Files

There was mention of this over in the 'Bargains' forum, but I felt that since this was the show that really started the TV on DVD genre (in my opinion), I felt it deserved a thread here since it's so popular.

madcougar 08-10-07 08:56 AM

Wow. I kinda agree with you about this being the first show on DVD to make waves. I also remember that the MSRP for the original sets was $150. Thank god that this wasn't the norm. Amazing that you can get the entire series, plus the movie, for less than season 1 & 2 back in the day. Too bad I have the entire set already. Even worse that even though I picked them up on sale before they went to the slim pack, I paid more than $300 for all of them.

darqleo 08-10-07 10:24 AM

Love love love this series. I stopped collecting them after Season 3 because of the high price point at the time ($76 was a "good deal" at the time) and the anticipation for something like this coming along. Sold off the seasons I owned a few months ago. Great news!

Damed 08-10-07 10:33 AM

haha!! Yes. My patience paid off. I love this show, but I've waited.

Bluelitespecial 08-10-07 11:07 AM

I think I might have to sell my x-files movie so I can get this set, I have never bought an x-files dvd set so I might be up for this. Will this set have the seventh disc for each season with all the extras.

Darth Maher 08-10-07 11:13 AM

I'm really happy with the current price of the single seasons so I will probably just continue to pick them up a little at a time. Costco has them for like $24 a piece I think.

Big Worms 08-10-07 11:22 AM

Damn it! I was hoping they did not do this. Not sure who I was kidding, but I have all the seasons now on slim set. But this set looks awesome!

islandclaws 08-10-07 11:30 AM

Nice looking set, but I've had the entire series for sometime now and I really don't plan on investing any more money than I already have. I actually prefer the original, non-slimline sets I got back in the day. This is an awsome deal for anyone that doesn't own more than 3 seasons, however.

Feathers McGraw 08-10-07 01:13 PM

What freakin' world are they living in?

$329.98 US = $419.98 CDN?

Yeah, five or ten years ago. What a bloody ripoff. No wonder I buy all my stuff in the US now.

The Eliminator 08-10-07 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw
What freakin' world are they living in?

$329.98 US = $419.98 CDN?

Yeah, five or ten years ago. What a bloody ripoff. No wonder I buy all my stuff in the US now.

Ditto.

DJariya 08-10-07 01:27 PM

I wonder if this Ultimate Collection will contain the bonus discs from each season that was removed from the recent slim pack re-release?

DVDFreaker 08-10-07 01:41 PM

What a very cool boxset! I already have the orignal X-Files packs and the movie, oh well!

jmj713 08-10-07 02:40 PM

No reason to get this if you have the original releases.

DVDFreaker 08-10-07 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by jmj713
No reason to get this if you have the original releases.

Or the slim pack releases?

jmj713 08-10-07 03:26 PM

From my understanding, there are extras missing from the slimpack re-releases. Plus the original digipaks have a very cool design to them.

DVDFreaker 08-10-07 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by jmj713
From my understanding, there are extras missing from the slimpack re-releases. Plus the original digipaks have a very cool design to them.

Yeah, whoever bought the silmcase releases got screwed unless they don't care about the extras

critterdvd 08-10-07 04:04 PM

Do we know if these are going to have the Seventh discs from the digi-pack collections?

Lee Harvey Oswald 08-10-07 07:27 PM

I already got the seasons I want, 1-6 and the movie, so I'll pass. Unless they would do something like clean up the transfer (if possible) and/or add a bunch of extras, especially with Anderson & Duchovny (won't happen).

shyguy1083 08-10-07 09:08 PM

can't tell if the packaging will be cool from that tiny pic... i already own all the "thick" packs that i got when they were at costco for $23.99 so i doubt there will be much incentive to pick this up. when it lists the mythology threads, do they mean that those four-disc sets are also included also? i realize those discs kinda bring together the similar episodes, but isn't it redundant to add them to a set that has all seaons already?

chris_sc77 08-10-07 09:27 PM

^I think it will just be the special documentaries created for those "Mythology" sets

C_Fletch 08-10-07 09:46 PM

Yea, think I'll pass on this one just like the rest of them. Just a gimmick to squeeze more money out of their dying fan base.

Don;t get me wrong. I'm a huge fan. I'm just not a big fan of repackaged material at a higher price.

Numes 08-10-07 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
^I think it will just be the special documentaries created for those "Mythology" sets

Remember that the "Mythology" sets had new commentaries on select episodes.

For me, I have the original releases + the Mythology sets, so I have all the special features (which are important to me). You would hope that a complete series set would include everything that was available from all the releases, but that never seems to be the norm for releases like this (thinking Twin Peaks "Definitive (not)" release)

InnocentBlood 08-10-07 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
I wonder if this Ultimate Collection will contain the bonus discs from each season that was removed from the recent slim pack re-release?

yeah that's what i'd like to know too...

DVD Polizei 08-10-07 11:12 PM

Pass. I'm doing just fine with my episode-only collection, thanks.

CertifiedTHX 08-11-07 01:30 AM

This sounds amazing, and is certainly tempting, but I will have to hear more about it. I'm one for original releases (unless botched; these weren't), so I would tend toward the individual boxed sets, even though, at average eBay prices, they do cost more than this. Still, look forward to further information.

--THX