Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

X Files Ultimate Collection - Nov 6th

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-07, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hanshotfirst113
It's nice to FINALLY have the extras discs again, albiet (yet again) for exhorbitant prices.
I'd hardly call the price of this set "exhorbitant". Even if you're dumb enough to pay retail ($330), it amounts to only $36 per season with a free copy of the movie. Amazon's got it on sale for $230 shipped, which is about $10 less per season. Hardly comparable to a genuinely overpriced series (like Star Trek, for example), and MUCH cheaper than the original Collector's Edition sets.
Old 11-30-07, 10:40 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Randy Miller III
I'd hardly call the price of this set "exhorbitant". Even if you're dumb enough to pay retail ($330), it amounts to only $36 per season with a free copy of the movie. Amazon's got it on sale for $230 shipped, which is about $10 less per season. Hardly comparable to a genuinely overpriced series (like Star Trek, for example), and MUCH cheaper than the original Collector's Edition sets.
Agreed. The only reason I'm not crying wtih my head in my hands (because I paid well over $40 for each season) is the sucky packaging quality. Turns out the original single season packaging is much better (IMO of course). Now if it just didn't take up so much space...
Old 11-30-07, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So why didnt FOX just release it in the file cabinet here? Pretty much anytime someone posts a pic of that set, everyone else in the thread drools...Im pretty sure it would sell. Theyve already corned the cheap market with the slim sets. I know Id be all over it if it had been released in the cabinet, but the collapsing drawer and discs in sleeves is keeping me from doing it.
Old 11-30-07, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by cardaway
Agreed. The only reason I'm not crying wtih my head in my hands (because I paid well over $40 for each season) is the sucky packaging quality. Turns out the original single season packaging is much better (IMO of course). Now if it just didn't take up so much space...
It's a shame the thinpak editions dropped the bonus discs---otherwise, that would've been the best of both worlds.
Old 11-30-07, 11:33 PM

Do you think FOX will start a replacement program? I just received my set from Deep Discount, and I have the same issues as TheVelvetRope. I can't take the extras out because the bottom has collapse in the drawer.

This is by far the worst packaging I've ever owned from a DVD set!
Old 12-01-07, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by ENDContra
So why didnt FOX just release it in the file cabinet here?
I guess it was the Brazilian department's idea.

Kinda like western movies get these fancy box sets and gimmicks in Hong Kong, Korea and Australia...
Old 12-01-07, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I received mine from DD...everything is in pristine condition. The box design is very clever, but I could see it not holding up, which sucks for me, because X-Files is my all-time favorite show and I will be watching these a lot.
Old 12-01-07, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by ENDContra
So why didnt FOX just release it in the file cabinet here? Pretty much anytime someone posts a pic of that set, everyone else in the thread drools...Im pretty sure it would sell. Theyve already corned the cheap market with the slim sets. I know Id be all over it if it had been released in the cabinet, but the collapsing drawer and discs in sleeves is keeping me from doing it.

Probably because the file cabinet would have added atleast $50 to the MSRP because that can't be cheap to produced. And since people are already complaining about the price, its probably that they kept the MSRP as low as they can.

Also, maybe they are holding it for the enivetable Blu-Ray release. But then again what would be the point of putting seasons 1-5 on blu-ray...
Old 12-06-07, 02:20 AM

Did anyone else get a full refund from BN.com after receiving a replacement set? Watch me not complain about this transaction ever again.

Last edited by billz; 12-06-07 at 02:28 AM.
Old 12-06-07, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Could someone recap what extras are/aren't included in this set? I'm still confused.
Old 12-06-07, 11:42 AM
Banned

Everything on both the original "Collector's Edition box sets" (That had a list price of $150 when originally released), and the "Mythology" compilation sets is included EXCEPT for the exclusive commentary tracks that were on the "Mythology" compilation sets.
Old 12-26-07, 01:34 PM

Just a word up for anyone interested. Amazon now has this set for a whopping 50% off at $164.99 which is basically a steal. I just ordered one.
Happy Holidays!

http://www.amazon.com/X-Files-Ultima...8697595&sr=1-2
Old 12-26-07, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Doesn't sound like much of a 'steal' if the packaging is as others have reported. I'll stick with my sets.
Old 12-26-07, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The packaging is great. Don't believe everything you read.
Old 12-27-07, 01:55 AM

Mine is beaten all to hell as well. The books are damaged, the box is dinged up on the corners, and the drawer will absolutely not open, as the interior is collapsed on it.
Old 12-27-07, 02:51 AM

The top was collapsed into the drawer on mine when I got it. After finally prying it back up and getting the drawer out I flipped it upside down and put it back to give the top some leverage. Besides that its in good condition.
Old 12-27-07, 04:24 AM

I bought my ultimate set at amazon.co.uk. R2 version has the same 61 discs and cost me 64.83 UK pounds or around 129 US dollars. I guess it's a pretty good deal.

Last edited by mikelowry; 12-27-07 at 05:37 AM.
Old 12-27-07, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by abrg923
The packaging is great. Don't believe everything you read.
Agreed, IF you get packaging intact....I was lucky on the 2nd try, but others haven't been.

When you do get an undamaged set, it's an amazing set.
Old 12-28-07, 07:41 AM

It hasn't been shipped yet. But i am still glad i ordered it. Most stores have it for $230-$250 when on sale. For $165 it's worth the risk. I am not too worried. Worst case scenerio, I will get a replacement. I have patience. I will keep you all updated though.
Old 01-04-08, 01:43 PM

Just got this last night. It was packed nicely with bubble wrap. And thankfully no damage whatsoever. The drawer while doesn't just slide out like gravy but nicely enough. Nothnig crushed. Phew.
If it's still on sale for 50%, $164.99 at amazon. I would take the plunge if you love the X-files. I see it for sale for $250 or so at most stores. My wife and I will be starting our X-Files marathon this weekend. Can't wait!

Last edited by Rainet; 01-04-08 at 04:52 PM.
Old 01-04-08, 02:57 PM

i finally saw the box open with my own eyes in-person at my local costco (someone had ripped open the shrinkwrap). and the box construction was REALLY shitty. it was much easier to notice in person than in pictures. and yea, the top portion had caved in already, so i couldn't even pull out the drawer. i like the little booklets that hold the seasons, but i like my collector's sets so much better. if only they'd release that filing cabinet... luckily though, seeing the set in-person diminished my impulse to "upgrade" to this package almost 100%. now if somehow i can ever get the set for under $100 (it could happen! eventually) perhaps i'd get one just to have it sit on my shelf looking pretty when closed.
Old 01-04-08, 03:26 PM
Banned

I want that fileing cabinet ..were on earth can i get it??
Old 01-04-08, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by shyguy1083
i finally saw the box open with my own eyes in-person at my local costco (someone had ripped open the shrinkwrap). and the box construction was REALLY shitty. it was much easier to notice in person than in pictures. and yea, the top portion had caved in already, so i couldn't even pull out the drawer. i like the little booklets that hold the seasons, but i like my collector's sets so much better. if only they'd release that filing cabinet... luckily though, seeing the set in-person diminished my impulse to "upgrade" to this package almost 100%. now if somehow i can ever get the set for under $100 (it could happen! eventually) perhaps i'd get one just to have it sit on my shelf looking pretty when closed.

I don't have any problems with my collector set. It is sturdy, nothing broke or caved in when i got it and the drawer works fine. I sold off some of my collector sets because I HATE have the giant fold out cases.
Old 01-04-08, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Rainet
It hasn't been shipped yet. But i am still glad i ordered it. Most stores have it for $230-$250 when on sale. For $165 it's worth the risk. I am not too worried. Worst case scenerio, I will get a replacement. I have patience. I will keep you all updated though.
I just got an email from Amazon saying that they would be able to ship them sooner than they thought. Then about 20 minutes later I got a shipping confirmation from Amazon on my set.
Old 01-16-08, 07:51 PM

After two tries I am in possession of a pristine package of this set. However, it seems to me that the caving-in of the bottom of the interior that has been widely reported (the first one I got was not caved in completely but was well on its way) is virtually inevitable, and I'm wondering what other people who got this are doing... storing it differently, reinforcing the bottom somehow, etc. I feel like if I leave it as it is, at some point sometime in the future it will wind up caving in. The little flip-books for the discs are just too heavy.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.