Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

X Files Ultimate Collection - Nov 6th

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

X Files Ultimate Collection - Nov 6th

Old 11-18-07, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
any pics? anyone? highly doubtful i'll spring for this since i just purchased the collector's editions from costco earlier this year, but i'd like to see what the set-up looks like inside, since the pictures on the back of the box don't really do much. also, i wanna see what the poster they have included is like (size, etc.)
Old 11-19-07, 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by danyanez
And I found another forums with pics! yay!!!
http://anewspace.20.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=2529
Old 11-19-07, 09:01 AM
Banned

Anyone else having trouble unloading the individual sets on Ebay? I have all 9 sets (original not new slimpacks) plus a bunch of extras and can't get one bite! What is really sad is that each set cost between 50-100 bucks each...OUCH!
Old 11-19-07, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
I sold my mythology sets over the weekend, cause I just wasn't watching them anymore. Got $40 total for all 4. Yippee.

You have to unload those singles as soon as a complete set is announced, before everyone finds out

Last edited by stingermck; 11-19-07 at 12:50 PM.
Old 11-19-07, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by stingermck
I sold my mythology sets over the weekend, cause I just wasn't watching them anymore. Got $40 total for all 4. Yippee.

You have to unload those singles as soon as a complete set is announced, before everyone finds out
Yep...that's the key.
Old 11-19-07, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can someone who has this new set please take look at Season 6 episode "Triangle" and tell me if it has been remastered or it is still the same shitty transfer?
Old 11-19-07, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They're the exact same discs...no changes have been made.
Old 11-19-07, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I had no issue selling off ALL seasons of X-File for roughly $30/season after shipping and fees, so that more than covered the $95 cost of the set from B&N. However, selling Seinfeld has been a $#$*, I've yet to sell a single season
Old 11-19-07, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by stingermck

Exactly... I was lucky with THE OC, QUEER AS FOLK, and GILMORE GIRLS...
Old 11-19-07, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by D'ohboy
When I received my copy from BN I noticed that the box text was bilingual. (French) I thought this was kind of odd, and was almost sure the copy at BB was not this way.
Welcome to *our* world.

Sucks, don't it?
Old 11-20-07, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Maybe Im looking at these pics wrong, but as good as this set looks, the way the discs are stored yells scratch city. Its the same reason I didnt buy the Alias set. Id love to get this and sell off my current set (original release), but I dont want to dread every time I pull a disc out or put one back in.
Old 11-20-07, 06:20 AM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

I received my set in the mail yesterday from DD and have to say that this is an extremely well-packaged set, and probably one of the most complete I've seen.

The box itself is very strong and sturdy with no dangers of falling apart. The drawer that contains the graphic novel and all the other little gems is actually pretty compact and at least with my copy slides in and out relatively easy.

The sets themselves that hold the discs bare a resemblence to small photo album or CD wallet. The dics fit in snug, meaning they aren't loose and you don't have to tug at them to get them out. The material that it is made from seems pretty good and smooth with no ridges that could cause damage to the disc and there shouldn't have any problems sliding the discs in and out if that is of anyones concern.

In fact it's a better design this way than the old original releases because at least you don't have to worry about any of the cases damaging so that you get "floaters".

If I had anything whatsoever negative to say about the set (and this is very minimal), then the one sheet that lists everything isn't fixed to the back of the case very well, much like the old sets. It looks like a touch of glue might be needed to hold it in place.

So, that said, I highly recommend picking up this set if you're a fan of the show (even if the S6 on kinda went downhill just a little). Asides from the great bargain people got at B&N, then I would say that DD would be the way to go - $194.55
Old 11-27-07, 01:08 PM

My drawer is glued down or something as it very hard to get out.

Any tips?
Old 11-27-07, 01:57 PM

Wasn't the whole series released in South America in a black file cabinet with two drawers? I remember seeing pictures of it.
Old 11-27-07, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Takeshi357
Wasn't the whole series released in South America in a black file cabinet with two drawers? I remember seeing pictures of it.
That was released in Brazil a few years back.

(No, that's not mine. One can only wish...)
Old 11-27-07, 05:05 PM

That looks so heavenly. Sigh
Old 11-27-07, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by ziondog
My drawer is glued down or something as it very hard to get out.

Any tips?
This box is CRAP!!!! You're probably having the same problem as mine. Take out all of your discs and look inside. You'll probably see that the cheap ass cardboard has collapsed into the drawer, preventing you from opening it. This was also mentioned in the IGN review of the set. In addition to that, they did a piss-poor job with gluing the back of the box, so that falls off, too. Since this appears to be a widespread issue, I don't want to hassle with returning it, since it's likely any replacement set will have the same problem. I'm sure Fox wouldn't do anything kind like offering an exchange on this box, though. Not that I've had any luck finding a way to contact them about this. Buyers beware!

Old 11-27-07, 08:46 PM
Video Gamer Reviewers

WOW that does look cheap.
Old 11-27-07, 09:12 PM

I received my replacement set from BN.com last week, and it had the same problem with the cardboard pushed through into the drawer. Since all of the facial areas inside and outside were in very good condition, I just took out all of the disc cases and taped up the inner box. I also turned the drawer around so it closes flush and invisibly, making for a cleaner appearance. I'd love to have the file cabinet that was released in South America, but this will be fine, since it's really about the show for me and not the packaging. It was a steal at 50% off (probably won't be able to say that in a year or two when the price plummets). If there is a packaging recall or similar replacement program, I'll jump on it.
Old 11-27-07, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was fortunate in that my replacement set from B&N was in pristine condition, the first set being beat to hell when I received it.

While the box is cheap, I do love how compact the season sets are and they are sturdy.

That international set looks very nice and sturdy.
Old 11-27-07, 10:15 PM

I've been trying to track down a miniature filing cabinet that could hold the season sets from this package and just make my own custom container. Ideastream makes a two-drawer cd filing cabinet for $45+ that holds 30 standard CD cases per drawer, but I don't know if the X-files cases will fit into the drawers (I'm at work and can't measure the sets to see if they match the CD jewel case size). Who knows, with a few decals and fancy file labels it could make a pretty sweet mod case.
Old 11-29-07, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by TheVelvetRope
This box is CRAP!!!! You're probably having the same problem as mine. Take out all of your discs and look inside. You'll probably see that the cheap ass cardboard has collapsed into the drawer, preventing you from opening it. This was also mentioned in the IGN review of the set. In addition to that, they did a piss-poor job with gluing the back of the box, so that falls off, too. Since this appears to be a widespread issue, I don't want to hassle with returning it, since it's likely any replacement set will have the same problem. I'm sure Fox wouldn't do anything kind like offering an exchange on this box, though. Not that I've had any luck finding a way to contact them about this. Buyers beware!
I didn't have any trouble with the box but what did really bother me was the condition of approx. 2/3 rds of the discs. They were either scratched or had scuff marks. This is because of the cardboard sleeves the discs slide into.
I had the same problem with the Alias complete series. Fortunately the studio, Buena Vista, was very willing to exchange the damaged discs that you send to them (they even paid the postage) and new ones came returned in pristine condition.

20th Century Fox the studio for the x-files set has a totally different policy.
They will take a return but it has to be the complete set (package and all) sent to them within 90 days of purchase (in contrast, I swaped the Alias discs a year later). So if you want to replace you x-files set with 20th CF, this is what you have to do:

Mail entire set to:
Fox Consumer Dept.
20102 S. Vermont Avenue
Torrance CA, 90502

Attn. Ericia

You are responsible for the shipping cost, tracking of the package and need to SEND A COPY OF THE RECEIPT, PROVIDE NAME/ADDRESS AND A NOTE EXPLAINING THE RETURN. If you have any questions, the number to call is 888-223-2369.

Good luck to those who need to make a return.

Last edited by tjn007; 11-29-07 at 08:44 PM.
Old 11-29-07, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Randy Miller III
That was released in Brazil a few years back.

(No, that's not mine. One can only wish...)
I would trade my wife for that.
Old 11-30-07, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
I would trade my wife for that.
...is she hot?
Old 11-30-07, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It's nice to FINALLY have the extras discs again, albiet (yet again) for exhorbitant prices.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.