Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Classic Sci-Fi Collection Volume 2 & Horror collection -- 11 Sept

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-07, 04:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i picked up the horror set today and noticed all of the sci fi vol 2 sets are now gone.
Old 10-03-07, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
to those who got the horror collection: how many discs is it and are any of them flippers??
Old 10-03-07, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
to those who got the horror collection: how many discs is it and are any of them flippers??
2 discs and NO flippers....

Watched the THE BLACK CAT and part of HORROR ISLAND and really enjoyed them; they are fun, not too serious, moody like the rest the Universal Golden Age Horror stuff from the preiod. I was amazed at the print quality. Universal REALLY took care of their films apparently better than most of the other studios.

With the release of the the 2 Sci Fi collections and this horror collection, this doesn't leave much left unreleased from Universal....EDWIN DROOD, ISLAND OF LOST SOULS and a couple of others. Possibly ONE more compilation...?

Last edited by Carcosa; 10-03-07 at 05:50 PM.
Old 10-03-07, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Got Mine in the mail today!
Old 10-03-07, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I'll use my 10% coupon and grab the horror set on Friday. They still had a dozen Sci-Fi sets last week.
Old 10-03-07, 06:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Carcosa
2 discs and NO flippers....

Watched the THE BLACK CAT and part of HORROR ISLAND and really enjoyed them; they are fun, not too serious, moody like the rest the Universal Golden Age Horror stuff from the preiod. I was amazed at the print quality. Universal REALLY took care of their films apparently better than most of the other studios.

With the release of the the 2 Sci Fi collections and this horror collection, this doesn't leave much left unreleased from Universal....EDWIN DROOD, ISLAND OF LOST SOULS and a couple of others. Possibly ONE more compilation...?
The Last Warning (1929)
The Last Performance (1929)
The Cat Creeps (1930) (lost?)
The Mystery of Edwin Drood (1935)
House of Horrors (1946)
Captive Wild Woman (1943)
Jungle Woman (1944)
The Jungle Captive (1945)

Island of Lost Souls (1932) is technically Paramount, but Universal distributes now. Other Paramounts?
Old 10-03-07, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by JerryKILL
Captive Wild Woman (1943)
..is one of the titles in Best Buy's new Universal Horror set.
Old 10-03-07, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What about these....

THE MAD GHOUL (released on VHS)
MURDERS IN THE ZOO (released on VHS)
THE MONSTER AND THE GIRL (released on VHS)
SECRET OF THE BLUE ROOM

CAPTIVE WILD WOMAN is part of the new Universal horror set, but I'd love to have seen the two sequels (JUNGLE WOMAN and JUNGLE CAPTIVE) as well. Those were on VHS also.
Old 10-03-07, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts
Add to the list

CURSE OF THE UNDEAD
THING THAT COULDN'T DIE
MAD DOCTOR OF MARKET STREET
STRANGE CASE OF DR. RX
THE SPIDERWOMAN STRIKES BACK
THE NIGHT WALKER
CAT AND THE CANARY(Bob Hope version)
Old 10-03-07, 06:57 PM
Banned

I grabbed this last night, but I've only watched Man Made Monster. My store had 7-8 of the Sci/Fi Vol. 2 set earlier this week, all were gone when I was in last night.
Old 10-05-07, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Went today to grab the horror set and ended up buying the Sci-Fi set as well. It had dwindled down to just 4 copies. It is in the next Best Buy ad for $17.99 so I wonder if they will get another shipment. The had to have 50 copies of the Universal Horror set on the shelves.

Hopefully these all sell well enough to get Universal to continue the series for both.
Old 10-06-07, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Autolycus
I started reading this thread to find out about the Horror collection and see that it is showing up on the Best Buy website. I went ahead and ordered one for instore pickup Tuesday.

I had already picked up the Classic Sci-Fi Collection Volume 2 at a local Best Buy but I clicked on the link above just to see what the Bestbuy.com listing looked and it says "SOLD OUT."

Is the Classic Sci-Fi Collection Volume 2 already sold out in stores as well?
The Classic Sc-Fi Ultimate Collection Volume 2 is now "In Stock" once again at BestBuy.com.

Best Buy must have received another shipment of the sets in anticipation of the $17.99 sale price on them which starts tomorrow.
Old 10-06-07, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by KingSausage
I received a further response from BB:

"___________,

I am ______ with Best Buy Customer Care.

I understand your concern about the availability of the "Classic Sci-Fi
Ultimate Collection Volume 2" DVD.

The item is currently unavailable on our website. We do not have any
updates as to when will this be instock or available for online order.
Please check our website for recent updates.

We look forward to your next visit to one of our stores or to
www.BestBuy.com.

Thank you,
_________"

This whole thing is ridiculous. I live in D.C., and every Best Buy remotely close to me is generally staffed with total idiots. It is NOT a rare occasion when I go there looking for a major release on the release date, only to find that they do not have it out and cannot seem to locate it in the back. There's no way I'm going to rely on going to a store near me to find this. Ridiculous! I can make some phone calls, but even then it's rare to get someone to pick up and answer from the media section. (No lie!)
Old 10-06-07, 07:40 PM

It was amazing how fast the stores sold out of these exclusive collections. In my area, it wasn't the employees buying up the copies for ebay, but the customers. Don't be so quick to bite the hand that feeds you!!!
Old 10-06-07, 07:41 PM

Call me next time; maybe we can determine who the idiot is
Old 10-07-07, 11:26 AM

I was able to get one of the SF2 sets at my local Best Buy, as well as the horror set. They only had 2 SF sets left. I'm glad to see that they'll be coming out with more copies -- it'll be nice to see the speculators who helped cause the original shortage in the first place get stiffed. Heh. So much for their $30 "Buy It Now"...
Old 10-14-07, 07:03 AM

Why was The Classic Sci-fi Ultimate Collection volume 1 discontinued so quickly? Copyright problems? It didn't sell well enough? Or did Univesral WANT to make it a collector's item?
Old 10-14-07, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
I was at Best Buy a few days ago and they had lots of both the sci-fi and horror sets.
Old 10-14-07, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Terri
Why was The Classic Sci-fi Ultimate Collection volume 1 discontinued so quickly? Copyright problems? It didn't sell well enough? Or did Univesral WANT to make it a collector's item?
Like the current Vol 2, it was a LIMITED set. It was meant to have a limited run.
Old 10-14-07, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just to note. This set was on shelves at Best Buy for 9 months and available at Amazon for 2-3 months. It was a limited set, but for some reason most people decided they wanted it after it was gone.

If anything that seemed to have generated more interest in the new sets and Best Buy is still getting shipments so no one should miss out on the new ones.
Old 10-14-07, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by renaldow
Like the current Vol 2, it was a LIMITED set. It was meant to have a limited run.
I have waited for years for The Mole People to appear on DVD. Then I discovered this collection at Amazon. (It also has other interesting titles in it.) Too late!

LIMITED set? Just how many copies? Without a definite limitation number, the "LIMITED" can be stretched for as long as they decide.

I don't see why they stop selling, when people still want to buy it (OK, darkside is right. Maybe they calculated that if they pulled back volume 1, volume 2 would sell more than both 1 and 2 together otherwise! Then they are really smart I guess! But still, having it on the market for so a short time, everybody hasn't got a chance to find out about it. Like me.) Universal should be interested in selling as much as possible, not issuing movies in limited sets only.

Last edited by Terri; 10-14-07 at 04:43 PM.
Old 10-14-07, 04:38 PM

It's not just LIMITED, it's a Best Buy EXCLUSIVE. The whole point isn't exactly to sell all of the horror/SF films, but the point is to get genre buffs into BB stores and buying OTHER BB merchandise. That's why these discs are done on the cheap, with not a lot of overhead put into them.

And, once the product is done selling, they don't press any more because they've done what they had to-- be exclusive enough to bring some folks into stores this summer.
Old 10-14-07, 05:57 PM

I have waited for years for The Mole People to appear on DVD. Then I discovered this collection at Amazon. (It also has other interesting titles in it.) Too late!

LIMITED set? Just how many copies? Without a definite limitation number, the "LIMITED" can be stretched for as long as they decide.

I don't see why they stop selling, when people still want to buy it (OK, darkside is right. Maybe they calculated that if they pulled back volume 1, volume 2 would sell more than both 1 and 2 together otherwise! Then they are really smart I guess! But still, having it on the market for so a short time, everybody hasn't got a chance to find out about it. Like me.) Universal should be interested in selling as much as possible, not issuing movies in limited sets only.
Once again, this is being over thought. There isn't THAT much significance to these particular sets from Best Buy’s perspective. They are one of many of things they do exclusively on a weekly basis; many new DVD releases have bonus items, etc, extra discs and more that you cannot get from the competition. Most of it is crap but people seem to like it. These sets are pretty much offered in the same manner….just to get people into the store more than anything else, like the previous poster noted. They may be released eventually thru other retailers when Best Buy is done with their thing.
Old 10-17-07, 09:35 PM
Cool New Member

I got both sets and I am enjoying them. I just dont understand they Universal Horror set. I have watched the first 3 movies so far. I thought The Black Cat and Horror Island were almost comedies and Man Made Monster could have gone into the Sci-Fi set. Maybe swap Cult of the Cobra for Man Made Monster. Just nitpicking I guess.

Later

Swarty
Old 10-24-07, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by The Escapist
I was able to get one of the SF2 sets at my local Best Buy, as well as the horror set. They only had 2 SF sets left. I'm glad to see that they'll be coming out with more copies -- it'll be nice to see the speculators who helped cause the original shortage in the first place get stiffed. Heh. So much for their $30 "Buy It Now"...
Hate to disappoint, but the beauty of speculating on new items is that you can return it in a month if it doesn't sell well. They'll be fine, and they'll do it again the bastards!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.