Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Yay/nay to "toys" coming with your DVDs?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
View Poll Results: Yay/nay to "toys" coming with your DVDs?
Yay, I like those collectibles.
52.03%
Nay, not for me.
47.97%
Voters: 246. You may not vote on this poll

Yay/nay to "toys" coming with your DVDs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-07, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sabrett
Don't get so damn defensive. Not everything that gets put on display is "over-the-top." A couple of collectibles here and there is not "extravagant decorating tastes." No one is forcing anyone to accept anything in my relationship, and that wasn't even what I referring to. It's the fact that you give a little and get a little. If my fiance wants to put the Matrix bust on his desk, then fine...go right ahead. And if I want to put something in the living room, then he would let me. My fiance and I have the same decorating tastes, the same interest and the same hobbies, and I would never have him lock up collectibles and nice display items because I don't want them in my living room.

Lastly, I'm not insulting your wife, so don't come barrelling at me full force. It was my opinion, and I'm entitled to it, just like you are.
I'm not being defensive or barreling at anyone. I was just pointing out that telling someone that if a woman doesn't like your collectables she may be the wrong one, may be a bit off base. Women like you are very few and far between, just check out the male to female ratio at the Comic Con (not counting models).

MOST (and I use uppercase to stress a word, not because I'm yelling or doing any defensive barreling. I guess I should use italics considering how misunderstood my last post was...so...) Most women have very particular ideas on decorating, maybe it’s a bit of the nesting instinct. All I know is that relationships are all about compromise, and decorating is a sticking point with most
Old 08-04-07, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Generally I don't care, but I like them if they're exceptional. The Sideshow ones that came with the Lord Of The Rings 4-disc extended sets have been the best I've seen. The Argonath statues that came with the Fellowship Of The Ring were awesome. Not so much with the Gollum that came with the TT set, but the little Minas Tirith that came with ROTK was very nice. I haven't seen many others that match up to those.

I plan on that Blade Runner briefcase !
Old 08-04-07, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like them. I'm not going to go out of my way to pay more for a set that has them though.
Old 08-04-07, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Lecithin
People are paying upwards of $90 for these non-collectible "trinkets" on ebay as we speak.
Sure they are. Links to auctions for proof?
Old 08-04-07, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oh sure, I'm always glad to run down proof that I'm not a liar for every loudmouth who insists I do so:

$90 ebay auction for 300 Best Buy edition with trinkets
Old 08-04-07, 06:13 PM

For me the answer would be "C. it depends on how cool the toy is."

I am considering getting the rome season 2 at bestbuy on tuesday for that BB exclusive wine stopper. i will at least go at look, if it looks really cool, i will pick it up because i drink a load of wine, and can always use another wine stopper.

Then again there are other examples, like the seinfeld puffy shirt, and the simpson marge head, homer simpson head, etc, and those take up too much space, or are just lame imo.

It is better for me to just pick up the dvds used(much cheaper) or just wait for a big ass sale at CC, BB, frys, etc ( weekly ad, clearance, black friday) and not get the toys.

IF the toy is small and cool, then yay, if it is big, bulky and not too cool, then forget it. However, i think for the most part i would say "nay" just because of all the space the toys take up. Other toys i dont think i would be caught dead with, like the lord of the rings super duper special editions, the $80 ones, those have got to be considered woman repellant. THen again, if you are a woman, they would be considered "nerd attractant". just my 2 cents

Last edited by iconoclasm; 08-04-07 at 06:38 PM.
Old 08-04-07, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
I like them, as long as they're either "free" or the disk is released without it as well. I will pay extra for a cool "toy"; how much extra depends on what it is and how well it's made, but I don't always have to have them.
Some of the toys seem kinda silly; taken from another post:
Hellboy bust - cool (I have it)
Matrix bust - cool (I have it)
300 helmet - cool
V for Vendetta mask - not real cool
Puffy Shirt - not real cool
Monk's Diner napkin/mustard/ketchup - useful, I might get it (if interested in the DVD)
Office Space stapler/mug/mouse pad set - useful, I might get it (if interested in the DVD)
Grease jacket - kinda stupid
(by "cool" above I really mean "I'd consider paying a little extra for it").
And I know this is sacrilege, but I'd get more use out of a little knickknack to stick on the dvd rack, or a toy to give to my boy, than a commentary by Principal Photographer and Main Stuntman. hell, than virtually any commentary.
My boy played with the Incredibles CC basketball and the BB Cars cars, so those were a no brainer.

The Simpsons heads, while I thought there were originally a cool idea, are actually a PITA. Now, I'd pay a little extra for actual heads, bobblers or just busts.
I actually just opened up my toys today, while loading the new dvd rack--Hellboy (that's a pretty solid statue), Ai Yori Aoshi Enish, R.O.D., Last Exile.
Old 08-04-07, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by VoreLord
Generally I don't care, but I like them if they're exceptional. The Sideshow ones that came with the Lord Of The Rings 4-disc extended sets have been the best I've seen. The Argonath statues that came with the Fellowship Of The Ring were awesome. Not so much with the Gollum that came with the TT set, but the little Minas Tirith that came with ROTK was very nice. I haven't seen many others that match up to those.

I plan on that Blade Runner briefcase !
you see, that blade runner briefcase could be cool, but i work for temp agencies(i am an out of work actor), and wont be bringing it to big meetings or anything. Hell, that actually might be OK for a hollywood exec.

I am looking at the LOTR statues on google image right now, and i admit they look pretty cool, but they take up a ton of space, and must be considered woman repellant by default. Actually, i suppose some sort of star wars pervy poster, or even a sex trek poster would be worse(i will take these links to pics down if this is not cool for the site- no nudity tho)

http://images2.dvdempire.com/res/movies/1/14212.jpg

http://www.platinumblueproductions.c...TrekCharly.jpg
Old 08-04-07, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by renaldow
Sure they are. Links to auctions for proof?
Originally Posted by Lecithin
Oh sure, I'm always glad to run down proof that I'm not a liar for every loudmouth who insists I do so:

$90 ebay auction for 300 Best Buy edition with trinkets

More examples:

Predator Head

Sonny Head

Back to the Future

Comes with a License Plate and a mini-Delorean (spelling?).

Ghost in the Shell 2 Innocence

Comes with the pictured mini-statue, 4 discs, 2 art books, collectible packaging ... etc., etc. I have one myself.

These examples are just the tip of the iceberg ...

Based on a previous post renaldow, obviously none of these are for you, but for those that are interested, just try to track one of these down for less than $100 or quite more. As silly, gimicky or whatever they may be, they are also desirable to many - some even selling out prior to hitting any B&M store shelf.
Old 08-05-07, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nope.

For a couple of reasons:

1. I stopped collecting toys of any kind when I was in junior high.
2. All I care about is the disc. I use custom covers for almost all my DVD's, so I don't even care about covers (or slipcovers or steel cases or anything else).
3. It has nothing to do with my wife, I couldn't see displaying anything like that in someone's house or HT - just looks tacky to me. No different than walking into a house filled with Beanie Babies or Avon cologne bottles. Only reason to have them would be for the kids.
4. If I want a toy for the kids, I'll buy it.
5. I'm not a dork.
Old 08-05-07, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by spartanstew
5. I'm not a dork.
This being said on an internet message board.
Old 08-05-07, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd rather have an extra disc of content, like with Hot Fuzz set from Wal-Mart, or the Lost and Indiana Jones sets from Best Buy. I could care less whether someone displays them, although I probably wouldn't. Some of you seem personally offended that others like this stuff.

It bothers me, though, when actual film/DVD content is only available when packaged with the toys, as is the case with Blade Runner and Scarface, because I'd rather not pay extra for toys I don't want.

cheers,

-the Jesus
Old 08-05-07, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Nope.

For a couple of reasons:

2. All I care about is the disc. I use custom covers for almost all my DVD's, so I don't even care about covers (or slipcovers or steel cases or anything else).
3. It has nothing to do with my wife, I couldn't see displaying anything like that in someone's house or HT - just looks tacky to me. No different than walking into a house filled with Beanie Babies or Avon cologne bottles. Only reason to have them would be for the kids.
5. I'm not a dork.
Ok? You call people a dork for liking collectables or "Toys" that come with curtain DVDs but yet you spend time making custom covers for DVDs which already have covers.

Talk about contradicting yourself!
Old 08-05-07, 12:05 PM

Old 08-05-07, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by visitor Q

More examples:

Back to the Future

Comes with a License Plate and a mini-Delorean (spelling?).

These examples are just the tip of the iceberg ...

Based on a previous post renaldow, obviously none of these are for you, but for those that are interested, just try to track one of these down for less than $100 or quite more. As silly, gimicky or whatever they may be, they are also desirable to many - some even selling out prior to hitting any B&M store shelf.
Shit, That Back to the future set sounds cool.

Last edited by shacmasta; 08-05-07 at 02:42 PM.
Old 08-05-07, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DeputyDave
I'm not being defensive or barreling at anyone. I was just pointing out that telling someone that if a woman doesn't like your collectables she may be the wrong one, may be a bit off base. Women like you are very few and far between, just check out the male to female ratio at the Comic Con (not counting models).

MOST (and I use uppercase to stress a word, not because I'm yelling or doing any defensive barreling. I guess I should use italics considering how misunderstood my last post was...so...) Most women have very particular ideas on decorating, maybe it’s a bit of the nesting instinct. All I know is that relationships are all about compromise, and decorating is a sticking point with most

Ok, much more understandable that way. Thanks for clarifying
Old 08-05-07, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
But "You can't have any of this kiddy crap" is not compromise.
Compromise is I get to decorate the living room, you can decorate the theatre room/office/etc.
In fact, before I got married, the pastor suggested, since "decorating" is traditionally taken over by the wife, the man select a suitable room that is "his" that he could personalize.
A woman who says "I'm not being with you because you have half a dozen collectibles" also may be the wrong one.
Old 08-05-07, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by shacmasta
Shit, That Back to the future set sounds cool.
Yeah, it's a pretty elaborate set ...

Old 08-05-07, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by visitor Q
Yeah, it's a pretty elaborate set ...

Man, that pic makes me want it even more. Move those beanie babies out of the way, honey. Daddy needs more room for his "toys"
Old 08-05-07, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Heh ... yeah, I probably should have used a little discretion considering it's OOP status. But hey, it's the "kiddies' with the money that might still be willing enough to track one down ...

I would if I cared enough for the set.
Old 08-05-07, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I wish I had gone region free a long time ago. I gotta get that BTTF set.
Old 08-06-07, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nope.

For a couple of reasons:

5. I'm not a dork.

Old 08-06-07, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by VoreLord
Old 08-06-07, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dtcarson
But "You can't have any of this kiddy crap" is not compromise.
Compromise is I get to decorate the living room, you can decorate the theatre room/office/etc.
In fact, before I got married, the pastor suggested, since "decorating" is traditionally taken over by the wife, the man select a suitable room that is "his" that he could personalize.
A woman who says "I'm not being with you because you have half a dozen collectibles" also may be the wrong one.
You are right. I fully intend to have a home theater room someday. When I do I will insist on being the one who decorates it (with her likes in mind, of course). I still can't see having toys, though.

The problem now is that I live in a 3 bedroom apartment (me, wife, 2 kids) and the only place that has room for the "big" TV and my DVD collection is the living room. She has already compromised by accepting two big shelves of 600 DVDs in this small room.
Old 08-06-07, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
As long as I'm not forced to buy only one set with toys, I don't mind having a choice or displaying the things I get.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.