DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Close Encounters of the Third Kind: 30th Anniversary Ultimate Edition 11-13-07

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-07, 02:56 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wm lopez
I didn't like the packaging.
The cover looks like it won't stand the test of time it's too glossy and you had to remove the clear wrap to open the box. Unlike most dvds where you can just cut the side and pull out the cases.
You do know you're supposed to remove the shrinkwrap, right?
Old 11-28-07, 05:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DVDA
You do know you're supposed to remove the shrinkwrap, right?
On like the SEINFELDS, GODFATHER sets I just cut out the opening and keep the rest of the cover sealed.
Old 11-28-07, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by DVDA
So could I take that to mean the theatrical cut was never released on any previous DVD? I haven't been following this film, but have always intended to buy a DVD of it one day.
A version of the theatrical cut, which wasn't quite really but was called such with Spielberg's blessing, was on the Criterion Collection LD. Spielberg really went "Lucas" on that film with the changes and his so-called director's cut, and this is, to the very best of my knowledge, the first time that all three versions have seen the light of day.
Old 11-29-07, 02:44 PM
Banned

On like the SEINFELDS, GODFATHER sets I just cut out the opening and keep the rest of the cover sealed.
You do know that they make plastic sleeves for DVDs, and that shrinkwrap continues to shrink, especially when cut? You're free to do whatever floats your boat, but that would be way too sloppy for me. Complaining about a set that doesn't allow you to get at the discs without removing the shrinkwrap is a little extreme, though. They don't take that practice into account when designing boxed sets, nor should they.
Old 11-29-07, 02:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst113
A version of the theatrical cut, which wasn't quite really but was called such with Spielberg's blessing, was on the Criterion Collection LD. Spielberg really went "Lucas" on that film with the changes and his so-called director's cut, and this is, to the very best of my knowledge, the first time that all three versions have seen the light of day.
That definitely answers my question, thanks.
Old 11-29-07, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I do the same thing, cut the shrink wrap and leave it on, to protect the packaging from wear. I just cut the close encounters wrap and slid it off, removed the discs, and slid it back on.... Leaving the shrink wrap on doesn't look sloppy, in fact it makes your collection look more "pristine" IMHO

By the way, how does a ship, with all the lights beaming from the bottom, cast a shadow? Are they supposed to be in stealth mode, with the lights off?
Old 12-03-07, 04:51 PM
Banned

Well, everyone's entitled to their opinion, but the fact that shrinkwrap is intended to be thrown away kind of makes me feel like my estimation of shrinkwrap as trash is more than just an opinion. Hey, do what you want, though....
Old 12-04-07, 07:30 PM

Are all the extras from the old 2 disc SD version on the new 3 disc version... those being

Making-Of Documentary
1977 Featurette "Watching The Skies"
11 Deleted Scenes
Theatrical Trailers

Just wanted to make sure before I sold off my old 2 disc version

Thanks
Old 12-04-07, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by DIVX Rulz
Are all the extras from the old 2 disc SD version on the new 3 disc version... those being

Making-Of Documentary
1977 Featurette "Watching The Skies"
11 Deleted Scenes
Theatrical Trailers

Just wanted to make sure before I sold off my old 2 disc version

Thanks
The new set is missing the deleted scenes. Although most of them are probably in the different versions of the movie.
Old 12-05-07, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by RD1973
The new set is missing the deleted scenes. Although most of them are probably in the different versions of the movie.
One deleted scene that is definitely missing is the hilarious alternate meeting between Truffaut and Bob Balaban.
Old 07-12-08, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

anybody have a scan of the DVD version with exclusive soundtrack. someone that didn't open it and has the stickers on it still. I need it for dvdaf
Old 07-12-08, 11:01 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by RD1973

actually no that isn't the case, all the deleted scenes were never included in any of the three previous versions of the film.
Old 01-16-10, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Close Encounters of the Third Kind: 30th Anniversary Ultimate Edition 11-13-07

I didn't like the packaging.
The cover looks like it won't stand the test of time it's too glossy and you had to remove the clear wrap to open the box. Unlike most dvds where you can just cut the side and pull out the cases.
Sony has changed the packaging, its much better now, the same artwork, only its an outer heavy cardboard slipcover instead of a fold open box. Going to trade mine out.
Old 01-16-10, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts
Re: Close Encounters of the Third Kind: 30th Anniversary Ultimate Edition 11-13-07

trade yours out?