Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

New Article from Josh Z - Why Don't the Black Bars Go Away? A MUST READ!!!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-07, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Josh Z's new article does a phenomenal job of explaining aspect ratios in easy to understand language for the beginner. Lots of good info for even those "in the know"! Nice work, Z.

It does not make sense to post the article here, as the accompanying pictures are as valuable as the words themselves.

You owe it to yourself to read about this important "aspect" of film presentation.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...rs_Go_Away/764
Old 07-16-07, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
I don't mind the black bars at all. To me, it gives the movie picture a wider look which I like. The only thing I don't like is full screen. But with alot of the older movies that's all that's available so I have to take it or leave it and just deal with it.
Old 07-16-07, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JOE29
I don't mind the black bars at all. To me, it gives the movie picture a wider look which I like. The only thing I don't like is full screen. But with alot of the older movies that's all that's available so I have to take it or leave it and just deal with it.
All that's available? Just deal with it? It's the original composition of the film... why would you want anything else?
Old 07-16-07, 03:37 PM

This was a very interesting article, which explained things very well, but I still have some questions about OAR on DVD releases. For example, if a film was shot in 1.85:1 ratio is that what it should be on a DVD or is 1.78:1 acceptable?

Also, take a film like The Graduate, in the thread for the Special Edition people say the want it in OAR yet from what I can tell the DVD is 2.35:1, which is the OAR for the film. Is my information wrong or is there something else to this. Thanks for any help.
Old 07-16-07, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

WWEFan, I think the folks in that thread want "The Graduate" anamorphically enhanced.

"Anamorphic" is a tricky word, as it also refers to the nature of the lens when shooting cinemascope, i.e., 2.35:1. In the case of "The Graduate", it was "shot anamorphically" at 2.35:1, and is presented in this ratio on every DVD release. However, the R1 DVD is not "anamorphically enhanced", which causes it to appear letterboxed within a 4x3 frame on widescreen TVs.

Just to make things even more complicated... only "cinemascope"/2.35:1 films are "shot anamorphically", but all widescreen ratios - 1.85:1, 1.78:1, 1.66:1, etc. - can be "anamorphically enhanced" for DVD, and of course we prefer it this way.
Old 07-16-07, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Richard Malloy
WWEFan, I think the folks in that thread want "The Graduate" anamorphically enhanced.

"Anamorphic" is a tricky word, as it also refers to the nature of the lens when shooting cinemascope, i.e., 2.35:1. In the case of "The Graduate", it was "shot anamorphically" at 2.35:1, and is presented in this ratio on every DVD release. However, the R1 DVD is not "anamorphically enhanced", which causes it to appear letterboxed within a 4x3 frame on widescreen TVs.

Just to make things even more complicated... only "cinemascope"/2.35:1 films are "shot anamorphically", but all widescreen ratios - 1.85:1, 1.78:1, 1.66:1, etc. - can be "anamorphically enhanced" for DVD, and of course we prefer it this way.
That makes sense, thanks for the help.
Old 07-16-07, 07:51 PM

When more people upgrade to 16:9 televisions, I will be laughing to myself at all the 1.33:1 fullscreen dvds people have purchased of recent movies. In fact, I'm still shocked at the amount still available in stores and places that carry full screen only. Then again, stretch to fill doesn't seem to bother many people, so I guess the fact that everyone looks too wide won't be noticed.
Old 07-16-07, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I mask out the middle of the picture with black velvet so that I can better focus on the black bars.
Old 07-16-07, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by WWEFan
For example, if a film was shot in 1.85:1 ratio is that what it should be on a DVD or is 1.78:1 acceptable?
They're pretty much the exact same thing. They're almost used interchangeably these days. You would never notice the difference.
Old 07-17-07, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by WWEFan
This was a very interesting article, which explained things very well, but I still have some questions about OAR on DVD releases. For example, if a film was shot in 1.85:1 ratio is that what it should be on a DVD or is 1.78:1 acceptable?
The difference between 1.85:1 and 1.78:1 is a few scan lines. Opening the mattes to 1.78:1 does not affect the compositional intent of a shot.

1.85:1

Open Matte 1.78:1

Either version as seen on a TV with typical 5% overscan
Old 07-17-07, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by compulsive dvd
When more people upgrade to 16:9 televisions, I will be laughing to myself at all the 1.33:1 fullscreen dvds people have purchased of recent movies. In fact, I'm still shocked at the amount still available in stores and places that carry full screen only. Then again, stretch to fill doesn't seem to bother many people, so I guess the fact that everyone looks too wide won't be noticed.
I know what you mean! I'm constantly amazed by all the 16:9 televisions I see out in bars, restaurants, etc, (to say nothing of my parents' living room) that are stretched to fit the whole frame. Does no one notice the fat heads and odd appearance of the picture but me?

Also, I wish Josh had used the term 16:9 in his article instead of hi-def when refering to the displays, as the Aspect Ratio is really the crux of the argument, not the resolution of the picture.
Old 07-17-07, 10:47 AM

Ooh, that Once Upon a time in the West shot is fantastic!

A TV screen doesn't need to be filled to perform its duty properly.
An important point that many people outside of this forum don't seem to grasp.

Last edited by Egon's Ghost; 07-17-07 at 10:51 AM.
Old 07-17-07, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I always suspected guys named 'Josh' were clannish.
Old 07-17-07, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
Also, I wish Josh had used the term 16:9 in his article instead of hi-def when refering to the displays, as the Aspect Ratio is really the crux of the argument, not the resolution of the picture.
I hear what you're saying, but the article was aimed at specifically at people who assume that High Definition equals "fill my HDTV".
Old 07-17-07, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
I know what you mean! I'm constantly amazed by all the 16:9 televisions I see out in bars, restaurants, etc, (to say nothing of my parents' living room) that are stretched to fit the whole frame. Does no one notice the fat heads and odd appearance of the picture but me?
As much as I can't stand it, I can actually see where they have a good reason to have them stretched if they are plasma panels. An establishment like that will have a set on continuously throughout the day (some places 24 hours a day), and leaving it in 4:3 mode the whole time will probably lead to burn-in. This is even more important at a place like Best Buy, Circuit City, et al, where they might want to eventually sell their display models.
Old 07-18-07, 03:45 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts
If a display can't show a picture properly without damage/burn-in, then it's a faulty piece of equipment.

When I worked at Tower.com, I actually had some moron ask for all his movies in foolscreen even though he had a plasma TV; his reason being that since 2.35 movies still had 'black bars', he'd rather stretch the foolscreen versions so they filled the screen.
Old 07-18-07, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
If a display can't show a picture properly without damage/burn-in, then it's a faulty piece of equipment.
The burn-in "fear" has always been highly overrated, IMHO. I know people who won't watch anything in 1:33:1 (assuming that's the OAR) without zoom because they fear burn-in.
Old 07-18-07, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Most of the time when I see this in a bar, they're showing ESPN......get a damn hi-def signal already!!!
Old 07-18-07, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Some day the great and wise industry will create 21.15x9 HDTV screens. Because all of our 2.35:1 movies will finally look fantastic.
Old 07-18-07, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts
I've still never fully understood "anamorphic". I saw the above, but still not helping. Could somebody expand? Thanks!
Old 07-18-07, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,879 Likes on 1,237 Posts
Originally Posted by Superman07
Could somebody expand? Thanks!
Here's one guide.
Old 07-18-07, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Z
I hear what you're saying, but the article was aimed at specifically at people who assume that High Definition equals "fill my HDTV".
A suggestion for the article. I'm sure there's someone out there who needs their screen filled. Suggest for them to do what the theatres do: buy a projector and a screen. The black bars will disappear.
Old 07-18-07, 08:25 AM

The article was a little misleading by constantly referring to "HDTV". You can get widescreen televisions that aren't HD, and indeed, if you look hard enough I bet you can get HD TV's that aren't widescreen. And indeed, lots and lots of computer screens that people are using to show HD will not be widescreen either.

I can see that the article was aimed at HD owners, but really, by doing this it was just adding to the confusion.

This could have been addressed by adding a small intermediary paragraph that showed the introduction of widescreen televisions, and then noted that HD televisions are virtually all widescreen.

Referring to HD when you mean widescreen is confusing apples and pears IMHO.
Old 07-18-07, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Nebiroth
The article was a little misleading by constantly referring to "HDTV". You can get widescreen televisions that aren't HD, and indeed, if you look hard enough I bet you can get HD TV's that aren't widescreen. And indeed, lots and lots of computer screens that people are using to show HD will not be widescreen either.
Thank you. I am one of a small minority of TV owners who have a 16x9 display that isn't HD-ready or HD-capable. I enjoy anamorphic enhancement, but I'm limited to 480p.

It can be said that while all HDTVs are 16x9, not all 16x9 TVs are HD.
Old 07-18-07, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,879 Likes on 1,237 Posts
Originally Posted by Nebiroth
The article was a little misleading by constantly referring to "HDTV". You can get widescreen televisions that aren't HD
It's an article on a site geared 100% around HD DVD and Blu-ray. How many people without HDTVs are reading a site geared towards high-def media?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.