Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Knocked Up - Unrated (25 Sept)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Knocked Up - Unrated (25 Sept)

Old 07-16-07, 02:42 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Ridley Park, PA
Posts: 380
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Knocked Up - Unrated (25 Sept)

DVDActive has revealed the artwork and some of the special features of this great movie:

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/knocked-up.html

Let's hope the R-Rated release is widescreen as well this time around.

Apatow said something in an interview about this being a 2-disc set, but there's no word on that yet.
Old 07-16-07, 03:36 PM
  #2  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 108
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think that even if this is a single disc set I'll buy it and double dip on the inevitable two discer. I wasn't sorry When I did that with 40 Year-Old Virgin. I just gave away the original unrated dis to a friend who hadn't seen it.
Old 07-16-07, 03:36 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,889
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Love the retained poster art. However, I want a lenticular cover that reveals a dialogue bubble with "Steely Dan can gargle my balls".
Old 07-16-07, 03:39 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 23,226
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Extreme Unrated!
Old 07-16-07, 03:41 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Ridley Park, PA
Posts: 380
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Zen Peckinpah
Love the retained poster art. However, I want a lenticular cover that reveals a dialogue bubble with "Steely Dan can gargle my balls".
I demand a "My shoes! There's baby goo on it!" edition.
Old 07-16-07, 04:18 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 5,610
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh jeez...wasn't the movie already like 2 hours and 5 minutes...The unrated will have 25 minutes extra, according to that...that seems like a big mistake. The theatrical cut better be widescreen.
Old 07-16-07, 04:58 PM
  #7  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Germany
Posts: 77
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the unrated disc will also include an additional 25 minutes of deleted and extended scenes
I think that means that those 25 minutes will not be part of the movie.
Old 07-16-07, 06:20 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
smashthesymbols's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 2,080
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Seantn
The theatrical cut better be widescreen.
I second that. I still want the theatrical cut of The 40 Year Old Virgin in widescreen, even though I already have the 2 disc DVD. I want both cuts in my collection. Chances are it's going to be the same deal with this one.
Old 07-16-07, 06:44 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Matthew Chmiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 13,263
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by smashthesymbols
I second that. I still want the theatrical cut of The 40 Year Old Virgin in widescreen, even though I already have the 2 disc DVD. I want both cuts in my collection. Chances are it's going to be the same deal with this one.
The theatrical cut is available in widescreen, just that it's a bitch to find in retail stores.

And I completely agree, the theatrical cut better be in widescreen. All of Apatow's extended editions are complete shit.
Old 07-16-07, 06:55 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
smashthesymbols's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 2,080
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
The theatrical cut is available in widescreen, just that it's a bitch to find in retail stores.
Really? Anyone know of a place to get it? I'd love to pick it up.
Old 07-16-07, 07:06 PM
  #11  
Cool New Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 34
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As I recall, the "Unrated cut" is what has been shown in all countries beside the US. The only difference is that the birthing scene is shown in detail.

It's unknown if Apatow will re-edit the deleted scenes back into the movie. I hope he doesn't, as I agree that the extended version of 40-year-old Virgin is far too long.
Old 07-16-07, 07:36 PM
  #12  
Cool New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 27
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone who doesn't like the unrated cut of 40 Year Old virgin is nuts. some of the most funny parts are left out of the theatrical version

If the unrated cut of Knocked up is much different that the theatrical cut like the 40 year old virgin is, I'll probably buy both versions.
Old 07-16-07, 07:45 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,664
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeDeN2K
Apatow said something in an interview about this being a 2-disc set, but there's no word on that yet.
From the Mr. Skin interview (site is obviously not SFW):
http://www.mrskin.com/Skinterviews/183/Judd_Apatow.htm

Originally Posted by Mr. Skin
Can you talk about the upcoming DVD and if you've thought about what you might be directing next?

The DVD, there's going to be a one- and a two-disc version released at the same time sometime in the wintertime, and we just have so many extras that it's ridiculous. It's taken so much time to watch them. They've literally handed me DVDs with six hours of footage that I have to go through.

One thing we did that I think is really funny is we shot a fake documentary during the making of the movie, and the documentary is about how Seth Rogan was the tenth choice to play the lead. So during our shoot we would have actors come and perform a scene and then I would fire them. And so we had James Franco do it, Justin Long, David Krumholtz, Allen Covert. I did it. There was a moment where I think I should be the lead as an actor/director. Orlando Bloom did it. It's really funny.

It's this whole documentary about how hard it was to find Seth. And then we also did a very funny fake documentary about how I was having fights with the studio so they sent in Bennett Miller, the director of Capote, to oversee the shoot.

And so Bennett came to the set, and we would shoot all this footage of him changing my angles and my coverage and debating me and it's very funny. I keep talking about how I don't like moving the camera because it's bad for the comedy, and he says, “Do you think it's funnier because it looks like shit?” [Laughs.] And it ultimately comes to blows between me and Bennett Miller. So we really went out of our way to make a DVD that takes a lot of comedic chances.

There's a very funny documentary about the rollercoaster sequence because Jay Baruchel didn't want to do it because he says he gets panic attacks on rollercoasters. The documentary is about me manipulating him into doing it, and you see me basically lying to him saying, “It's not that bad” and then him having a panic attack on the rollercoaster. And then he won't do it again and we have to keep doing it all day and then you see—because most people want to see this—most of our actors vomiting over and over.

It's just a funny little five-minute documentary. In addition to deleted scenes, there's a ton of deleted scenes and raw footage. I like to put just the raw takes on the DVD because I think it's fun to see our process.
Pretty entertaining interview overall.
Old 07-16-07, 07:47 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
MTRodaba2468's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Western Kentucky
Posts: 2,576
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
The theatrical cut is available in widescreen, just that it's a bitch to find in retail stores.

And I completely agree, the theatrical cut better be in widescreen. All of Apatow's extended editions are complete shit.
Yeah, the theatrical WS cut is available, it was just released about a month or so after the unrated versions and the theatrical FS version (which makes absolutely no sense.

Seeing how The 40-Year-Old Virgin was released, I might want to try and seek out the theatrical cut of Knocked Up (in WS) as well. While I disagree about Apatow's extended editions being "complete shit", I do admit that they can be a bit too long for their own good.

Originally Posted by Mr. Skin
The DVD, there's going to be a one- and a two-disc version released at the same time sometime in the wintertime, and we just have so many extras that it's ridiculous. It's taken so much time to watch them. They've literally handed me DVDs with six hours of footage that I have to go through.

One thing we did that I think is really funny is we shot a fake documentary during the making of the movie, and the documentary is about how Seth Rogan was the tenth choice to play the lead. So during our shoot we would have actors come and perform a scene and then I would fire them. And so we had James Franco do it, Justin Long, David Krumholtz, Allen Covert. I did it. There was a moment where I think I should be the lead as an actor/director. Orlando Bloom did it. It's really funny.

It's this whole documentary about how hard it was to find Seth. And then we also did a very funny fake documentary about how I was having fights with the studio so they sent in Bennett Miller, the director of Capote, to oversee the shoot.

And so Bennett came to the set, and we would shoot all this footage of him changing my angles and my coverage and debating me and it's very funny. I keep talking about how I don't like moving the camera because it's bad for the comedy, and he says, “Do you think it's funnier because it looks like shit?” [Laughs.] And it ultimately comes to blows between me and Bennett Miller. So we really went out of our way to make a DVD that takes a lot of comedic chances.

There's a very funny documentary about the rollercoaster sequence because Jay Baruchel didn't want to do it because he says he gets panic attacks on rollercoasters. The documentary is about me manipulating him into doing it, and you see me basically lying to him saying, “It's not that bad” and then him having a panic attack on the rollercoaster. And then he won't do it again and we have to keep doing it all day and then you see—because most people want to see this—most of our actors vomiting over and over.

It's just a funny little five-minute documentary. In addition to deleted scenes, there's a ton of deleted scenes and raw footage. I like to put just the raw takes on the DVD because I think it's fun to see our process.
Well, concerning the 2-disc, if that stuff is on it, I'm sold.

Last edited by MTRodaba2468; 07-16-07 at 07:50 PM.
Old 07-16-07, 07:55 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
smashthesymbols's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 2,080
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by James Hardy
anyone who doesn't like the unrated cut of 40 Year Old virgin is nuts. some of the most funny parts are left out of the theatrical version
It's not that I don't like the unrated cut, I do. It's got some great scenes added in. It's also got a few that really needed to be cut and just kill the flow of the movie and make it drag. I just want both versions so I can pick which to watch each time I sit down to watch the movie.

I suppose I should add that I saw the movie on HBO about 20 times before I finally bought the DVD and saw the unrated cut for the first time, so that definitely influences my preference for the theatrical cut.
Old 07-16-07, 08:08 PM
  #16  
Cool New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 27
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by smashthesymbols
It's not that I don't like the unrated cut, I do. It's got some great scenes added in. It's also got a few that really needed to be cut and just kill the flow of the movie and make it drag. I just want both versions so I can pick which to watch each time I sit down to watch the movie.

I suppose I should add that I saw the movie on HBO about 20 times before I finally bought the DVD and saw the unrated cut for the first time, so that definitely influences my preference for the theatrical cut.
I see what you're saying. There could have been a few parts cut from the unrated version, like the scene where he calls and asks for advice on how to make his erection go away.
Old 07-16-07, 09:11 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 4,688
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by smashthesymbols
Really? Anyone know of a place to get it? I'd love to pick it up.
I have'nt seen it in retail stores yet. So here is what it would look like if you found it.

http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_ite...earchID=249298
Old 07-16-07, 09:17 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Legend
 
islandclaws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Behind the Orange Curtain
Posts: 20,083
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I never caught this in theaters, though I really wanted to, so I'll gladly pick this up. I just hope it's not overly long like the 40 Year-Old Virgin unrated cut. That movie went about 25 min. longer than it needed to. Comedies shouldn't be longer than 100 min.
Old 07-16-07, 09:31 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,632
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I loved Knocked Up and this SE sounds great if all those extras are indeed on it. I had no problems at all with its 130 some minute runtime (thought it flew by) and would love even more.

Bring on the Unrated Cut (hopefully in HD). I just hope the transfer is good. The theater I saw it in (which usually is a solid theater) had one of the worst transfers I've ever seen. So bad I actually filled out and mailed in a comment card. The color kept chaning from normal...to really dark...to normal every five or six seconds. It was only distracting during the evening scenes but it was just awful during the daylight scenes.
Old 07-16-07, 09:32 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,664
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The movie is 130 mins., but to its credit, the time flew by.
Old 07-16-07, 09:54 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Brooklyn, New Yawk
Posts: 1,640
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will definitely be picking this up. Never got to catch it in theaters...and hoping for a 2-discer
Old 07-16-07, 09:57 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Traverse City, MI
Posts: 3,954
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
loved this, gonna get the HD-DVD
Old 07-16-07, 10:31 PM
  #23  
Cool New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 27
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
personally, I don't think there is enough comedies that are over 2 hours long, so Apatow's movies being longer than most comedies is a nice change for me.
Old 07-16-07, 10:45 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Michigan
Posts: 10,989
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess its a good thing I only saw the theatrical cut of 40-Year-Old Virgin once way back when and don't remember what's different. Makes me appreciate the unrated one more.
Old 07-17-07, 01:09 AM
  #25  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: OKC, OK
Posts: 4,352
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is really great news!

I saw this in the theater and absolutely loved it. More Rogen! When the release date comes I'll buy the 2-disc unrated uber edition and if the theatrical cut is available in WS, I'll be buying that as well. And if all the above mentioned extras are included, I'm almost positive they will be, I'll be more than a happy consumer.

I have been on an Apatow/Rogen kick lately. I just finished Freaks and Geeks several days ago and I'm now working my way through Undeclared; I watched several episodes today and watched The 40-Year-Old Virgin with Commentary today as well. Finding this news out was a perfect little addition to my day.

Also, I didn't know that the theatrical cut of Virgin was available in WS as well as FS. I'll probably hunt down the WS theatrical cut in the next couple of days or so. I really wouldn't mind having both cuts.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.