Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Knocked Up - Unrated (25 Sept)

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-07, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MTRodaba2468
While I disagree about Apatow's extended editions being "complete shit", I do admit that they can be a bit too long for their own good.
Then obviously you don't know comedy or how to time a film because every Apatow film out there has nearly been ruined to inferior extended editions, which is upsetting, as Apatow one hell of a mastermind.

Anchorman adds unnecessary footage and changes some of the best bits of dialog to far raunchier material that's not nearly as funny. For example, Ron eating cat shit? Not funny. Champ waking up drunk and naked in front of an Asian American family? Funny. Changing the joke to him shitting out a squirrel? Not funny.

Talladega Nights pulls the same shtick, but it's done more excessively (and far too longer) and a lot of the changed material just falls flat. The jokes become more raunchier and even less funny. Also, some semi-good material towards the plot was tossed away in the unrated version to fit in more jokes that mostly fail.

Despite being nearly perfect on the first go-around, The 40-Year-Old Virgin was too long to begin with. Adding nearly twenty minutes of footage nearly killed it and makes the unrated cut sometimes a chore to sit through. Some of the footage is damn funny, but there's no place for it and a good chunk of the footage annihilates the timing of previous jokes that were funny.

And I'm all for extended cuts (adding 45-minutes to Almost Famous took it from a great film to an amazing film), but Apatow's cuts have been nowhere near on par as the original theatrical edits.
Old 07-17-07, 12:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i didn't know the 40 year old virgin theatrical cut was available in ws. i've tried looking for it today, but no dice.
Old 07-17-07, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm definitely in on this movie!
Old 07-17-07, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

See, I thought I'd agree with the criticisms of the extended 40 Year Old Virgin.. but then I found out that almost all the Indian guy's tirades are only in the extended version and that was the funniest shit to me. But, it was a bit long winded.. and what I read of the other changes could've stayed out.
Old 07-17-07, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
See, I thought I'd agree with the criticisms of the extended 40 Year Old Virgin.. but then I found out that almost all the Indian guy's tirades are only in the extended version and that was the funniest shit to me. But, it was a bit long winded.. and what I read of the other changes could've stayed out.
There's a scene which is "extended" by just having Paul Rudd and the Indian cursing at each other louder and louder for a minute or two, and it kills me.

The odd thing is, to me, once you watch the extended cut, a lot of the theatrical cut has really obvious, choppy, bad cuts. Neither cut is perfect. I remember when they used to put out DVDs where the extra scenes were extras, not re-cut into the movie. Remember how much fun those were?
Old 07-17-07, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Then obviously you don't know comedy or how to time a film
Hey, now, when a person starts insisting that their opinion is a fact, and that anybody who disagrees is ignorant, that's generally a sign that the person is insecure in their opinion.
Old 07-17-07, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
My wife generally could care less what DVDs we get. She generally likes the same stuff as me, so I do all the buying. That said, after we left the theater from seeing Knocked Up, she told me we have to buy that one. I thought that was kinda cool.
Old 07-17-07, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenVulture
The movie is 130 mins., but to its credit, the time flew by.
Yeah, I agree. I remember when seeing this in the theater how fast the time went by. It should didn't feel like over 2 hours.
Old 07-17-07, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Then obviously you don't know comedy or how to time a film because every Apatow film out there has nearly been ruined to inferior extended editions, which is upsetting, as Apatow one hell of a mastermind.

Anchorman adds unnecessary footage and changes some of the best bits of dialog to far raunchier material that's not nearly as funny. For example, Ron eating cat shit? Not funny. Champ waking up drunk and naked in front of an Asian American family? Funny. Changing the joke to him shitting out a squirrel? Not funny.

Talladega Nights pulls the same shtick, but it's done more excessively (and far too longer) and a lot of the changed material just falls flat. The jokes become more raunchier and even less funny. Also, some semi-good material towards the plot was tossed away in the unrated version to fit in more jokes that mostly fail.

Despite being nearly perfect on the first go-around, The 40-Year-Old Virgin was too long to begin with. Adding nearly twenty minutes of footage nearly killed it and makes the unrated cut sometimes a chore to sit through. Some of the footage is damn funny, but there's no place for it and a good chunk of the footage annihilates the timing of previous jokes that were funny.

And I'm all for extended cuts (adding 45-minutes to Almost Famous took it from a great film to an amazing film), but Apatow's cuts have been nowhere near on par as the original theatrical edits.

A. I would like to think that a good comedy would be some form of work that is intended to be funny, and succeeds at its goal. Apparently, you feel that I don't know what comedy is, since I don't share your opinion that the unrated version of 40YOV was complete shit, so maybe you can enlighten me as to what the definition of a good comedy actually is.

B. As far as not being able to time a film, I do recall saying (in the sentence that you quoted, no less) that the extended version could be a bit too long for it's own good. I didn't say it was flawless. I do think that parts of the movie could have been cut (or left out altogether) to help the pacing (for that matter, I felt the same way about Knocked Up's theatrical cut). However, I still enjoyed the extended cut; I found it funny, which was Apatow's intent. Of course, I don't know comedy, so feel free to take that statement with a grain of salt.

C. This is just a minor point, but I really don't count Anchorman and Talladega Nights as Apatow films anyway. Granted, he produced them, but he didn't write or direct them (that would be Adam McKay, with Ferrell co-writing). It's like saying Vulgar was a Kevin Smith film, even though he was just a producer (Bryan Johnson was the writer/director).

And on top of that, I didn't think Anchorman or Talladega Nights were funny in the first place. Chalk it up to me not knowing comedy.

D. I do agree that the Almost Famous DC is a significant improvement on an already great movie.
Old 07-17-07, 09:46 PM

adding that much more to the film will make or break it. personaly i thought it was a little long when i saw it in theatres. i could have shaved off about 20 mins. still a funny movie tho.

p.s. everyone see superbad
Old 07-17-07, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Would it be too much to ask for both theatrical AND extended versions on the same disc? Just add a second disc for the other features. Of course, then Universal couldn't squeeze every penny from the consumer...
Old 07-17-07, 10:15 PM

They do that for the HD discs.
Old 07-17-07, 11:08 PM

Hate the cover...no Katherine Heigl
Old 07-18-07, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, that cover makes zero sense without the tagline.
Old 07-18-07, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

DVD Active's just announced the features for the Rated and Unrated DVDs, along with the announcement for a 2-disc collector's set:

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/knocked-up.html
Old 07-19-07, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd probably pick up the Rated version along with the 2-Disc version (unless the 2-Disc cut also has the Rated cut).
Old 07-19-07, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

All I know is that the HD DVD version better have all the extras of the 2 disc set...because I want all the 'knocked up' I can get my fucking hands on, but I don't want to pay for it twice...
Old 07-20-07, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
Hopefully the extended cut of the dvd will include something to make this film actually funny. I was really looking forward to seeing this when it came out in theaters. Saw it. Didn't laugh. Was REALLY dissappointed. Just didnt find it funny at all.
Old 07-20-07, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by jjcool
Hopefully the extended cut of the dvd will include something to make this film actually funny. I was really looking forward to seeing this when it came out in theaters. Saw it. Didn't laugh. Was REALLY dissappointed. Just didnt find it funny at all.
Old 07-25-07, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

At work at FYE today, we got some signs for our planner. One of the signs was advertising Knocked Up being released on September 25th.

I can't say for sure that this is the correct release date (Trans World has messed up the release dates on these signs before; TMNT, for example), but it's something.
Old 07-25-07, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by MTRodaba2468
At work at FYE today, we got some signs for our planner. One of the signs was advertising Knocked Up being released on September 25th.

I can't say for sure that this is the correct release date (Trans World has messed up the release dates on these signs before; TMNT, for example), but it's something.
September 25th is a Saturday, so I'd say that date is at least a bit inaccurate.

EDIT: D'oh.

Last edited by MikeDeN2K; 07-25-07 at 02:11 PM.
Old 07-25-07, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by MikeDeN2K
September 25th is a Saturday, so I'd say that date is at least a bit inaccurate.
No it isn't.

Here are some other films coming out on the 25th to prove the point:

September 25-
Black Book (Zwartboek)
Bug
Home Of The Brave
Next
Ocean's 13
The TV Set
Old 07-25-07, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by MikeDeN2K
September 25th is a Tuesday. I'd say that it's your calendar that is at least a bit inaccurate.

Old 08-10-07, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts
Further Details:
Universal Home Video has announced rated (129 minutes) and unrated (133 minutes) editions of Knocked Up which stars Seth Rogen, Katherine Heigl, and Paul Rudd. Each will be available to own from the 25th September, and priced at around $29.98 a pop. The film itself will be presented in 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen, along with English Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround tracks. Both releases will include a commentary with Writer/Director Judd Apatow, Executive Producer/Star Seth Rogen and Actor Bill Hader, deleted scenes, extended/alternate scenes, a Line-O-Rama feature, a gag reel, a Roller Coaster Doc feature, a Directing the Director featurette, and a Loudon Wainwright III - Live at McCabe's feature. The unrated edition will also include an additional "Topless Scene". The official artwork is attached below:

Also available from the 25th September will be a two-disc special edition of the film. This will retail at around $30.98. It will include all the above features, along with an additional disc of content. This will include even more deleted/extended scenes, as well as video diaries, a Kids on the Loose featurette, a Beard-O-Rama, Kuni Files, a Gummy: The 6th Roommate feature, a Stripper Confidential feature, and a Finding Ben Stone feature. Completing the package will be a Kuni Gone Wild feature, the Loudon Wainwright III Scoring Session, more gag reels, a First Sex on Camera featurette, raw footage, a Katherine Heigl Audition, and more. A HD-DVD/DVD Combo release will also be available for $39.98.

DVDACTIVE.com
Old 08-10-07, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This will be a blind buy for me, as my family will hound me to purchase it. I do look forward to it though as I have read and heard so many positive reviews.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.