DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   DVD STALK EXCLUSIVE: The Monster Squad DVD Unboxing!! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/506389-dvd-stalk-exclusive-monster-squad-dvd-unboxing.html)

Scott_Lecter 07-14-07 10:56 AM

DVD STALK EXCLUSIVE: The Monster Squad DVD Unboxing!!

<a href="http://www.dvdstalkblog.com/">DVD STALK EXCLUSIVE: <em>The Monster Squad: Two-Disc 20th Anniversary Edition</em> DVD Unboxing!!</a>

Check out the <a href="http://www.dvdstalkblog.com/">blog</a>, guys and gals. We've got the exclusive unboxing of the new DVD from Lionsgate. I couldn't be more excited. There's video and images.

Here's a little taste:
<center><object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lZ4_dIp6vDY"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lZ4_dIp6vDY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object></center>

If you're interested, head on over to the DVD Stalk Blog: <a href="http://www.dvdstalkblog.com/">www.dvdstalkblog.com</a> to check it out.

You guys are gonna love this set!

Rammsteinfan 07-14-07 11:54 AM

Very nice! Like the booklet. Too bad they didnt use that for the cover.

Peep 07-14-07 01:13 PM

You have got to be kidding!

Wake us when the review is up.

Scott_Lecter 07-14-07 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Peep
You have got to be kidding!

Wake us when the review is up.

Sorry, Peep. The review should be up in a day or two.

Some people love these unboxings. Get to see the box up close, inserts, etc.

I, for one, had fun doing it and sharing it with the DVD Stalk crowd. We're just really excited for this DVD release.

Keep an eye out for that review. :)

BuckNaked2k 07-14-07 01:40 PM

Sorry, but just what IS this movie?

I've never seen it or heard of it until I joined here, and it certainly seems to generate a great deal of fanaticism.

GuruTwo 07-14-07 01:44 PM

I've never seen it or heard of it until I joined here, and it certainly seems to generate a great deal of fanaticism.
It's the poor-man's "Goonies".

BuckNaked2k 07-14-07 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by GuruTwo

I thought "Goonies" was the poor man's Goonies! ;)

Scott_Lecter 07-14-07 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by GuruTwo

Ah...brutal! Imagine GOONIES with some really cool classic horror monsters running around. And a bunch of other cool things. :)

BuckNaked2k 07-14-07 04:26 PM

Dear Gawd, is the DVD Horror guy really named "Lecter"??

Scott_Lecter 07-14-07 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
Dear Gawd, is the DVD Horror guy really named "Lecter"??

Fitting, isn't it? ;)

OldBoy 07-14-07 05:07 PM

scott,

i liked your "unboxing", but it actually came in a bubble envelope so shouldn't be "unveloping"?

anyway, i am looking forward to this release and your review. i remember thinking the movie was just goofy fun, not a good movie by any stretch and it still amazes me why this was so wanted. "night of the creeps" also for that matter.

but it is all in good fun, good monster mashing fun.

PopcornTreeCt 07-14-07 05:33 PM

Kinda lame. Still didn't actually open the keepcase, show us how the DVDs are packed, or if there are any inserts. LAME!

canaryfarmer 07-14-07 05:41 PM

There's a second movie, Mr. Popcorn.

Scott_Lecter 07-14-07 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Kinda lame. Still didn't actually open the keepcase, show us how the DVDs are packed, or if there are any inserts. LAME!

If you go to the blog (www.dvdstalkblog.com) there's a second clip with the disc opened etc. Enjoy! :)

dollfins1 07-14-07 07:35 PM

awesome! a sweet 2 disc-er with a slipcase and insert. thats how all movies should come. i will definitely pick this up.

Julie Walker 07-14-07 08:20 PM

It's a movie kids of the 80's saw,or those born in the 80's(like myself) caught on video throughout their childhood/teen years and fell in love with. So a huge amount of nostalgia comes into play when the film is brought up. And The Goonies comparision is perfect,since it's quite similar to that..and just as much fun(to us fans anyway). But Deckard did show a huge flair for horror and humor in this film and Night of the Creeps. And delivered the entertaining goods to us kids of the era. Who grew up into lifetime horror fans in many cases. Also the fact that the characters in the film were our ages when we first discovered the film. It helped enhance our fantasies wondering what if we were the Monster Squad battling evil and relate to the characters . And that helped enhance our enjoyment of the film as well.

I can't wait to get the dvd myself!

BuckNaked2k 07-14-07 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
It's a movie kids of the 80's saw, or those born in the 80's (like myself) caught on video throughout their childhood/teen years and fell in love with......

I'm surprised I missed it then. I graduated from High School in '85, and remember The Goonies (although not the Coreys) fondly, but for some reason, never saw this.

I will have to NetFlix it to see what all the hype is about.

Julie Walker 07-14-07 08:44 PM

I'm surprised I missed it then. I graduated from High School in '85, and remember The Goonies (although not the Coreys) fondly, but for some reason, never saw this.

I will have to NetFlix it to see what all the hype is about.

Well it did bomb in theaters and only made like $3 million according to the director in an interview I read. So it was probably not heavily marketed and out of theaters in a flash.

I first saw it on a tape a friend of the family had with horror movies they recorded off HBO. And then I luckily was able to find the Vestron VHS at the local video store and rented it quite a bit.

And now with VHS dead,and the tape long out of print. It's been impossible to find in video stores. Though TNT used to air it from time to time. I recall it was on Monstervision with Joe Bob Briggs sometimes in the late 90's.

Also don't go into the film with hype and huge expectations,or else you may end up not liking the film that much.

Mountain Biker 07-14-07 08:59 PM

Never seen an 'unboxing' before. Pretty cool.

I can't wait to pick this up!

Wannabe 07-14-07 10:06 PM

So much excitement for what is truly a forgettable film. I saw it in the theater in 1987 or 1988 and have zero memory of what it is. That's right. Can't remember the plot - barely remember the knockoff versions of Dracula and friends. Never understood the enthusiasm for this one.

d2cheer 07-15-07 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Julie Walker

Also don't go into the film with hype and huge expectations,or else you may end up not liking the film that much.

That is good advice, I think it is an acquired taste for some. Uh oh... we agreed on something! -wink-

wm lopez 07-16-07 03:17 AM

Your better off watching ABBOTT & COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTIEN which is available on dvd.

TheNightFlier 07-16-07 05:24 AM

Nice segment Scott. Can't wait for this.

Shannon Nutt 07-16-07 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by Wannabe
So much excitement for what is truly a forgettable film. I saw it in the theater in 1987 or 1988 and have zero memory of what it is. That's right. Can't remember the plot - barely remember the knockoff versions of Dracula and friends. Never understood the enthusiasm for this one.

You're pretty much correct...this is a really bad movie, and I think a lot of the "buzz" is because people can't remember just how bad of a film it is. It's not even bad in a cheesy, MST3K kind of way...it's just plain bad. :(

Lastdaysofrain 07-16-07 10:12 AM

I've rewatched this movie frequently over the years and it's not bad at all. It's funny, clever and has some nice nerdy monster movie in jokes.

It's a movie aimed at kids, people need to keep that in mind when rewatching it. It's a great, fun movie.