Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

DVD STALK EXCLUSIVE: The Monster Squad DVD Unboxing!!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

DVD STALK EXCLUSIVE: The Monster Squad DVD Unboxing!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-07, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I took my insert and covered the front art.
Old 07-28-07, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Best Buy's website says that most stores have them in stock already. I won't go into work until Monday, so I can't verify it physically.
Old 07-28-07, 07:57 AM

I have never been so pissed off in my life. I totally forgot this was coming out. I get online on Thursday and I get backorder status everywhere I go. I called around and no one has it. I just hope some orders will be brought in next week to circuit city. Since that's the only place I can buy it with a gift card. You know whats sad. Garbage Pail Kids got more copies ordered then Monster Squad when it came out last year.
Old 07-28-07, 10:30 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Confession time:

I'm a pretty big horror fan, have loved horror movies all of my life. I fondly recall watching Creature Features with Count Gore de Vol, and buy all the "classic" horror films.

But somehow, I have always had a blind spot when it comes to this movie. I had honestly never heard of it when all the hype started when its DVD release was announced. With the amount of fans posting here and raving about it, I started feeling like I was the butt of some big practical joke. You all had created a fictional perfect 80s kid film, and were going to such lengths as to create screenshots for it and dummy up fake news releases. Quite impressive guys, you almost had me fooled.

I mean, there was no way that "I" could have missed a movie like this! A movie that was a scary version of The Goonies? A movie with classic horror characters together!?!

Once I realized that it wasn't a joke and that the movie really did exist (when I ordered it thru CH), I vowed to watch it the day it arrived. I tried to stay spoiler free the last few weeks, so know nothing more than what I had written above going into the DVD, which arrived today.

I'm about 30 minutes in, and am loving it so far. A little 80s cheese I guess, but wow, I just saw the
Spoiler:
5 main monster characters together! I had read that it had the big three, but the big 5 !?
Sweet!

Back to the DVD, but had to post that confession.
Old 07-28-07, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Trevor
Confession time:
Glad to hear someone vouch for the movie outside of nostalgia value. Please do post again after you've watched the whole thing and let us know what you thought. Hope it was at least half as enjoyable for you as it was for me.
Old 07-29-07, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by JackBurton
Glad to hear someone vouch for the movie outside of nostalgia value. Please do post again after you've watched the whole thing and let us know what you thought. Hope it was at least half as enjoyable for you as it was for me.
Loved it, lots of fun. Still can't believe that I missed this movie for 20 years.

It definitely had some cheesy lines/moments, but also had some great lines. Great concept, and for it's time and budget, probably as good as it could have been. Would be cool to see a modern remake of it, perhaps done like Evil Dead, gritty and creepy, but with humor as well?

Proud to have it in my collection, watching it with the writer/cast commentary now.
Old 07-29-07, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by SPiRAL
I took my insert and covered the front art.
You beat me to it, Spiral. Now I guess we'll have another one of those
Monster Squad-does it have an insert? threads...
Old 08-01-07, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I watched this all the way through yesterday. I'm really surprised at how no one has noticed that this is an interlaced transfer, not progressive. There's combing throughout, especially when there is red lighting or clothing on the screen. Not one review I've read of this disc mentions this. In fact, the only place I could find anyone talking about it was over at the Anchor Bay UK forum, of all places:

http://www.anchorbay.co.uk/forum/sho...d.php?p=195842

I'm disappointed.
Old 08-01-07, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JackBurton
I saw it for the first time Monday and LOVED it. Thought the retrospective doc was great too. I can't believe the actor who played Horace died so young!

P.S. - Party 'til your brains fall out!
Old 08-01-07, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Anyone come across a good custom cover for this yet? Haven't seen any mention in the subforum?
Old 08-06-07, 12:42 AM

Just got my copy from Wal-Mart while in another city. No cardboard sleeve, no insert.
I did indeed think the quality of the transfer was lacking and dullboy seems to have pointed out why. Disappointing.
Old 08-23-07, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by chriscooling
Just got my copy from Wal-Mart while in another city. No cardboard sleeve, no insert.
I did indeed think the quality of the transfer was lacking and dullboy seems to have pointed out why. Disappointing.
Finally gave up trying to find it and ordered it from amazon.com. The one I got from amz didn't have a slipcover. I guess only a certain amount had slipcovers? Kinda sucks.

Last edited by shacmasta; 08-24-07 at 12:04 AM.
Old 08-24-07, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Finished this up today. If anyone is interested send me PM and I'll send it to you.

Old 08-24-07, 07:34 AM

Not sure how I missed them both, but in the last few weeks I've watched both this, and The Goonies for the first time.

I liked them both, but The Monster Squad will be re-watched more often.
Old 08-25-07, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Cover looks great, Buddy! Sent you a PM.
Old 08-25-07, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Deleted scenes that weren't included on the DVD:

http://www.youtube.com/user/AkaKamenThe2nd