Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Halloween Restored DVD --Anyone know any details?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 07-05-07, 11:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw this listing at Anchor Bay for "Halloween Restored":
http://www.anchorbayentertainment.co...ID=0&GenreID=0

At first I thought this was a Blue Ray version, but at $14.95 I don't think so -- I'm wondering what the helll this is!
Maybe this version is restored with Dean Cundey's original blue color pallette?
Old 07-06-07, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Thay are releasing Halloween on Blu-ray in the fall so maybe another dvd rerelease as well.
Old 07-06-07, 01:23 AM

Or maybe it will incorporate some of that newly found negatives? Or am I dreaming again.
Old 07-06-07, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I knew that there'd be yet another Halloween re-release, seeing as how Anchor Bay holds the rights.

Like Case said, I would assume it would somehow involve the negatives that were found last year.

Personally, I think that if they are going to re-release Halloween AGAIN, they need to just go and make the "definitive" release. Unless they want to use a new transfer, use the THX DVD transfer over the Divimax transfer, and feature the bonus features from both the Limited Edition and the 25th Anniversary Edition, along with anything they can use from the found negatives.
Old 07-06-07, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Next year is the 30th Ann. So chances are this is just a rerelease of the previous 25th Ann edition of the film. And next year,should see a true new SE release that hopefully will have the correct transfer.
Old 07-06-07, 05:06 AM

There was a thread about this earlier. It's just the same DVD as the 25th Anniversary in new packaging.
Old 07-06-07, 07:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's always nice to know that a Halloween Re-Release will be out every 5 years for a new anniversary.
I can't wait ti'll the true SE edition is released.

This was discussed in a another forum but I really hope Anchor Bay, Universal & Miramax/Dimension join forces (Which will likely neve happen in North America) & release one Ultimate DVD Collection with all 8 Halloween (or 9 if they include the upcoming 07' remake by Rob Zombie) films.
I know besides Halloween 1 & 2 the rest of the movies arn't that great (esp. Halloween 3: Season of the Witch) but still like the Ultimate Friday the 13th collection it would be nice to have one for Halloween as well, even if the movie that followed wern't that good.

Last edited by nateman241; 07-06-07 at 07:31 AM.
Old 07-07-07, 04:14 AM

Very lame release this year. I'm also guessing the "one worth owning" including the newly found footage will be released next year.
Old 07-07-07, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Chucky
There was a thread about this earlier. It's just the same DVD as the 25th Anniversary in new packaging.
Well, a pass on that, then. I've already got that version (and the Limited Edition on top of that).
Old 07-10-07, 10:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by nateman241
I know besides Halloween 1 & 2 the rest of the movies arn't that great (esp. Halloween 3: Season of the Witch) but still like the Ultimate Friday the 13th collection it would be nice to have one for Halloween as well, even if the movie that followed wern't that good.
Halloween III is a fun little movie that has nothing to do with the franchise but its name. Doesn't mean it's not worth viewing. I like it better than 90 % of the Friday the 13th films.
Old 07-10-07, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
A 4-Discer like the Dawn Of The Dead I just received would be nice.
Old 07-10-07, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So (at least for the time being) the OOP LE will still be the best one to own, right... even when this new one comes out?
Old 07-11-07, 06:53 AM

cracksky
Halloween III is a fun little movie that has nothing to do with the franchise but its name. Doesn't mean it's not worth viewing. I like it better than 90 % of the Friday the 13th films.
See everyone has there own opinions, which is great. I thought even if they didn't have the Halloween name attached to it, the movie still wasn't that great. But thats just my opinion.
See I know that some of the Friday the 13th films wern't the greatest horror movies ever, far from it but i still enjoyed them. I think the only horror franchise that didn't see a really noticable decline in quality was the Psycho franchise. The Child's Play/Chucky franchise has been pretty decent thus far as well.
Old 07-11-07, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Dane Marvin
So (at least for the time being) the OOP LE will still be the best one to own, right... even when this new one comes out?
If I had to pick only one, I would be challenged. The different color timing on the AE doesn't bother me. And I wouldn't want to be without the special features exclusive to the AE. Happy to have both.

No telling what will be on the 30th anniversary release, if one will even exist. But assuming they load it up with new features, including as much of that recently uncovered content as possible, I will certainly triple dip.

--THX
Old 07-12-07, 04:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Dane Marvin
It depends on what you're wanting. The Limited Edition is the same as the one-disc edition, along with a 2nd disc featuring an extended version of the movie (with the scenes shot and aired with the TV version).

The 25th Anniversary Edition has the commentary from the Criterion laserdisc, and a feature-length documentary on the making of the movie. The THX transfer on the LE (and the single-disc version) is better than the Divimax transfer on the 25th AE, but the Divimax transfer isn't a bad one.

Personally, I'm with DVD Polizei. I think they should give Halloween the 4-Disc Ultimate Edition treatment (like they did with Dawn Of The Dead). Have ALL the features from both versions, along with the THX transfer. Then add any new quality bonus features they can make/find, including the new negative footage.

That's just me, though.
Old 07-17-07, 12:11 AM

Are we sure this is the exact same divimax transfer with the wonky color timing...?
Why call it restored then...?
And also they supposedly are assuring that the BD will have the CORRECT timing, so why not just have this as a downconvert...?

But yeah, a new AB (Starz) release of Halloween every 2-3 years is a given. Kinda funny. Will be interesting to see how many BDss they do...
Old 07-17-07, 12:19 AM

Never mind. Found this...

http://www.ohmb.net/showthread.php?t=11515

"Completists rejoice! Yet another DVD release of John Carpenter's Halloween is on its way courtesy of Anchor Bay Entertainment!

On August 14th you'll be able to get your hands on an all-new, specially designed O-card edition of Halloween at the low SRP of $14.98. What's that you ask? The new O-card takes the iconic Halloween logo to a whole new level of cool, featuring glowing jack-o-lantern eyes and nose artwork.

Mind you, the only new thing here is the artwork. The supplemental materials are the same ones that can be found on their Halloween Restored Edition DVD release from a couple of years back. Those looking for more should be patient, as something tells me next year we'll probably see a special 30th Anniversary Edition with some new goodies."

Lame...
Old 07-17-07, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Davy Mack
Are we sure this is the exact same divimax transfer with the wonky color timing...?
What is the wonky color timing?
Old 07-17-07, 09:40 AM

Here's a comparison and there's also a link to another site:

http://www.bulletsnbabesdvd.com/foru...pic.php?t=3421